100+ Books in 2022 discussion

2010 Lists > Lady Rogue's Book Challenge 2010 - FINISHED

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alexandria (last edited Mar 22, 2010 12:34PM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 1.Deception: A Phantom of the Opera Novel
Loved, loved, loved, loved this book. Happy endings all round ;)
2. Night Magic
Another Phantom re-telling set in modern times. Quick read - the pages flew by, but probably won't read it again unless I'm desperate :)
3. Moonlight
Another quick, easy read. I found the story line a bit predictable but it was still pretty good.
3. Dork Diaries
VERY VERY funny. If you are in need of a giggle this is the book to read.
4. The Faerie Path
Can't wait until I have finished my presant pile of books so that I don't feel guilty about getting the next in in the series. FAB.
5. Evermore
Ummm...it was ok I suppose and i will probably read the sequel just to see what happens but not really my thing.
6. Magic Under Glass
I really enjoyed this and I hope that the author comes up with a sequel because we were left with a bit of a cliffhanger.
7. Cry Wolf
Didn't really like but once again I will probably read the sequel and the surrounding books to get ther gist and see what happens
8. City of Bones
Bit wierd but i will more than likely read the sequel just to see what happens.
Deception A Phantom of the Opera Novel by Shirley Yoshinaka Night Magic by Charlotte Vale Allen Moonlight (Dark Guardian, #1) by Rachel Hawthorne [image error] The Faerie Path (Faerie Path, #1) by Frewin Jones Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

message 2: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments Wow. I thought i was doing sooo well with my 8 books until i looked at some other lists. I have alot of catching up to do :)

message 3: by Alexandria (last edited Mar 23, 2010 11:43AM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 9.Into the Light: A Phantom of the Opera Story
I enjoyed this book even though I thought it would be different from what it was. It picks up the story of Erik aka the Phantom after the Opera House has burnt down. First of all it was told from his point of view by first person - this was a change to begin with. And then it does not focus mainly in a romantic attachement as some phantom books do. Instead this focuses on his growing relationships with two children that he adopts as his own and there is next to none romance. I did actually enjoy this difference and enjoyed the moment of playfullness that came out when he was with the children. There is also a curious instint of Erik's socks going missing that I couldn't help but smile at. The major flaw that I could find is the continual repitition of points we - as the reader - have already grasped. That and did they say 'okay' in the 1800's? *shrugs* Very enjoyable anyway. Oh yeah and one more thing. Erik does alot of crying throughout the book. And the phrase 'my eyes misted over' or words to that effect appears alot - since when do guys describe their eyes as misting over? I mainly liked this because of the differences to other novels and will probably read it again if I have the chance.
Into the Light A Phantom of the Opera Story by Debra , P. Whitehead

message 4: by Alexandria (last edited Mar 23, 2010 11:46AM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 10.The Thief
This was good. I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading this. A friend recomended the books to me a few years ago and I have only just got round to buying and reading the first one but she didn't really give me alot to go on when she told me about them and the blurb at the back wasn't too enlightening either. Gen is the main character and 'the thief' of the title and at first I didn't really like him - too cocky and cheeky but near the end I kind of got used to him. The character that I weas sure was to be labelled and live up to be the 'baddy' turned out to be pretty good and decent by the end. Though the whole thing started of pretty slow to begin with by the middle things started to speed up and by the last twenty or so pages everything that I thought I could predict got completly turned on its head and I found myself thinking 'What the heck just happened?' - hmmmm or maybe I'm just thick (there's always a chance...:)) Anyway I will be reading the next one after my to be read pile of books has shrunk a bit more :)
The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner

message 5: by Alexandria (last edited Mar 23, 2010 04:12PM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 11.Letters to Erik: The Ghost's Love Story
I loved, loved, loved this book. So far it has to be one of my favorite Phantom spin-offs that I have read so far (next to Deception: A Phantom of the Opera Novel). The book pick up almost straight after the original novel when Christine begins to write Erik letters - thinking that he is dead. Through the letters we see Christine disappointment with her married life and how thing are turning out much differently from how she thought they would. We also see how through the letters Christine works through the differences between Raoul and Erik - ultimitley discovering where her heart truly lies *sighs - we could have told her that* The span of the letters covers five years of seperation between Erik and Christine before the story picks up in third person narrative when Christine has returned to Paris with her son after the death of Raoul - who by the way is a big jerk for the purpose of this story and I cheered when he conveniantly died. Christine - thinking of course that Erik is dead - visits his 'grave' and leaves the letters she has written throughout the years there. Erik of course witnesses all of the and reads the letters. And so begins the story. I liked this book mainly because of it being believable. Erik and Christine's realtionship does not become easy there are misunderstandings between them that cause arguments - just like any normal couple. And there is also this majorly huge turn in events as well ;). Yip absilutely one of my new favourites. Oh and did I mention that I kind of love the front cover as well :)
Letters to Erik The Ghost's Love Story by An Wallace

message 6: by Alexandria (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:02AM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 12.The Lightning Thief
I loved this book. I had thought of reading it for ages and then went out and bough it after watching the film which I thurally enjoyed by the way. I believe that the book was way better than the film - though i do agree that they made the right decision in making Percy older in the film, since he is only 12 in the book. The film makers really did take alot if artistic license in coming up with the film and I think that it would have been alot better if they had stuck closer to the novel with some of story line. Can't wait to read the second one.(1/4 before Friday)
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan

message 7: by Alexandria (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:02AM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 13.The Angel Experiment
Woo hoo. Pretty good. I've had this on my shelf for a few weeks now and have just got round to readin it - since entering my 'must get through my to be read shelf' phase :). It was better than a expected it to be. There were some points were I would get agitated because of Max's actions but then I would remember that she may be a mutant but she was still only fourteen years old - but it still annoyed me sometimes. There were also lol moments that I enjoyed. I think I will look into the rest of the series just to see what happens to the rest of the characters - especially since we are left wiht a bit of a cliff hanger at the end of this book. (Woohoo 2/4. 2 more to go. Can I do it?)
The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson

message 8: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 14.When the Wind Blows
i originally bought this because of its link to the Maximum Ride novels and I thought that this was where the novels got started but off course I was wrong - the Maximum Ride novels are inly based off the charachters in this. It was only my second James Patterson book and I enjoyed it. The one thing that I find weird in general is the way that Patterson splits up the chapters - before you know it you are ay chapter 120 or something like that. The characters were easy to like (or dislike as the case may be)and of course the hero of the story is tall, strong, can shoot a gun, has a past that haunts him and can cook and sing (of course he can:))Yes it was an enjoyable easy read.
When the Wind Blows by James Patterson

message 9: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 15.The Sea of Monsters
This is the second Percy Jackson novel and I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first. I only really read it because the books were buy one get ine free when the movie came out so I got the first and the second :).I found the opening chapters a bit hard to get into but once I got past them the book went pretty quickly. The story line is pretty simple compared to The Lightning Thief. A few greek monsters are thrown into the mix of course which adds an interesting element to the story and the idea that Blackbeard the pirate is a son of Ares was just hilarious. Tyson the cyclops was a little love and I could have just adopted him. So ignoring the first 3-5 chapters it was a pretty good book.
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan

message 10: by Alexandria (last edited Apr 17, 2010 03:56AM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 16.The Phantom of the Opera
This must be the sixth time I have read this but the only time that I have read it since descovering spin-offs. I'm afraid that reading these has kind if ruined me for the original. In the novel Raoul is a weakling, whining, baby (with the complexion of a girl) who is always jumping to conclusions and accuses Christine if being that kind of girl - something that Mr Webber leaves out in his musical I'll add. Soem other differences is that Meg is a brunette, Christine is a blonde and Joeseph Bouqet isn't a drunk but he does end up dead. And Erik is a complete and utter nutcase - threatening to blow up the opera house at its busiest time if Christine doesn't agree to marry him (yip - CRAAAAAZZZZY ;)). But if I was to choose between a crazy madman and some kind of child/man combo I'd go for the crazy guy, but thats just me.
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

message 12: by Alexandria (last edited Apr 19, 2010 01:46PM) (new)

message 15: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 22. Searching for Dragons
I first read this book when I found it in my school library about six years ago. Only when I read it it was called 'Dragon's Search' and the first one was called 'Dragonsbane' (now called Dealing with Dragons).
I enjoyed this just as much the secind time around as I did the first. It is not a lol kind of book but with clubs called 'The Right Honorable Wicked Stepmothers' Traveling, Drinking and Debating Society' (that wicked uncles can join) you have to expect some funny moments. FYI - if you ever come across a wizard soapy water and lemon juice should quickly take care of them :)
Searching for Dragons (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2) by Patricia C. Wrede

message 16: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 23.Tinker
I read this book about a year ago and thought that it was pretty good. It is the story if tinker who is an 18 year old genious. An elf falls in love with her and because he doesnt want her to die he turns her into an elf too - without her knowing it. She lives in pitsburgh but due to some dimetional gibberish pitsburgh isnt on earth but part of the planet/land of elfhome. Tinker is kidnapped by the 'badguys' because they want her to build a machine. Pretty good and I'll be reading the next one just because it is on my shelf.
Tinker (Tinker, book 1) by Wen Spencer

message 17: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments The Magicians' Guild
24. Wow...Wow. I mean this has got to be my new favourite book of 2010. It was just great. There was a great female lead and the plot was brillant and easy to follow but not too simple. The same goes for the writing style - it was easy in the head and I didnt have to sit with a dictionery beside me the whole time. Fantastic *have I mentioned that yet :)* I can not wait to read the next two.
The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan

message 18: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 25. The Titan's Curse
Made me cry!!!!!!
Since when does books aimed at 9 year old make a 20 year old cry!!!!!
The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan

message 19: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 26. The Battle of the Labyrinth
I must be a wimp!!!
This one made me cry too!!
The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan

message 20: by Alexandria (last edited May 15, 2010 02:50AM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 27. The Last Olympian
Ok I think I am going to have to write a very strong worded letter to someone because this one had me in tears too!!!
For crying out loud what is wrong with me!!!???
Finished the series anyway :)
The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan

message 21: by Alexandria (last edited Jul 01, 2010 03:53AM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 29. Eyes Like Stars

This was amazing.

I could not put this book down. Berie is such a strong female lead who takes no nonsence and doesn't need a guy around to look after her - they just happen to be there ;)
This book is just alive with imagination and the characters just jumo out of the page at you and I found myself wishing that there was an actual place where every character from every play is alive.
5 out of 5!!!
Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1) by Lisa Mantchev

message 22: by Alexandria (last edited Jul 01, 2010 03:56AM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 30. Perchance to Dream
Firsr of all i shall say that these books have actually made me like hard back books. Normally i am not a fan of hard back since they seem to stand out like a sore thumb and they also cost an arm and a leg but with these books (eyes like stars and perchance to dream) i dont really care and noe there is just something special about hardbacks.
This picks up the same day as where the first one ended and it was just as good if not better than the first.
in this one the love interests pose a bit more of a problem for Bertie as she tries to find and rescue Nate freom Sedna. As always there is a vast collection of supporting characters who both hinder and help along the way and then there is always the fairies for the needed comic relief.
I cant wait for the third one to come out!
5 out of 5!!!!
Perchance to Dream (Théâtre Illuminata, #2) by Lisa Mantchev

message 23: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 31. The Looking Glass Wars
Ahhh! I can't believe that it has been so long since I have read a book. But that IS all going to change.
This was pretty good. I had eyes it up a couple of times and finally picked it up the last time that I went book shopping. And i am inly annoyed that I let it sit on my shelf for so long before reading it ;(.
I was suprised how many things were the saem as the new Alice in Wonderland film - there were jabberwockys people.
It was a bit violent at bit but it wasnt very detailed so things were tastefully done.
I think this is a 3.5 out of 5 and that is only because I am a sucker for romances and there wasn;t an awful lot of that in this book - maybe in one of the following 2...?
Read it in a day :) (just thought I'd add that;))
So yeah. Hopefully will get more read in the next week or so.
The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor

message 25: by Alexandria (last edited Aug 01, 2010 05:54AM) (new)

message 26: by Alexandria (last edited Aug 08, 2010 02:17AM) (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 36. Beastly
Beastly by Alex Flinn

I loved loved loved this books. Saved me from all kinds of boredom while I was on holiday and stuck in the B and B room. It was such an interesting spin on Beauty and the Beast and I have had it on my shelf for the best part of 2 years (gulp - thats bad) and I am SO glad I finally picked it up and read it. It was AMAZING.

message 28: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 38. Beast
Beast by Donna Jo Napoli

message 36: by Alexandria (last edited Aug 10, 2010 02:17PM) (new)

message 45: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 57. Knife
Knife by R.J. Anderson

message 46: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 62. Sojourn Through Time
Sojourn Through Time by Susanne Marie Knight
A nice little time trave novel :)

message 48: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 64. Chanson de l'Ange
Chanson de l'Ange by Paisley Swan Stewart

LOVED! LOVED! LOVED!

message 49: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 65. Beyond the Masque
Beyond the Masque by Kae D. Jacobs

I managed to read over 300 pages of this book but just couldnt get into it at all. At time the language was as if Romeo and Juliet had been thrown into Erik and Christine's body.

message 50: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (airdnaxelA) | 74 comments 66. Phantom
Phantom by Susan Kay
Yay, ebay rocks. This cover is waaaaay nicer than the 'new one'. x

« previous 1