Richard III discussion

Book Discussions > Virgin Widow: England's Forgotten Queen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
Saw this on Amy's blog today. It appears the author used to write romances, and I think for Harlequin.

Virgin Widow: England's Forgotten Queen

message 2: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 05, 2010 12:33PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Yup, her other listings are for Mills and Boon and Harlequin. And that title sounds like a Historical Harlequin Presents - if such a thing existed!

message 3: by Misfit (new)

I tried to get the cover uploaded to the GR page but I had technical issues.

message 4: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments Morbidly curious, but the book description saying Edward was cruelly slain by Gloucester or whatever has me nervous. Sounds like the book is trying to say Anne is queen because of her first husband, not her second...??
All typed on cell phone at work; please forgive the stilted speech and other issues with the post.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

I am curious as well. Unless the author's been a closet scholor of all things Wars of the Roses I find it odd to go from Harlequins to this. I will keep my fingers crossed for the library and/or Amazon Vine.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Actually, the Historical Harlequin Presents title would probably be "The English King's Virgin Widow."

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments Misfit wrote: "I am curious as well. Unless the author's been a closet scholor of all things Wars of the Roses I find it odd to go from Harlequins to this. I will keep my fingers crossed for the library and/or Am..."

Some can manage both. Susan Holloway Scott writes both straight HF and romances (as Miranda Jarrett).

http://susanhollowayscott.com/books/m...

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Susanna wrote: "Actually, the Historical Harlequin Presents title would probably be "The English King's Virgin Widow.""

LOL. I'll withhold judgment but I recall trying one of Jeanne Westin's romances prior to getting my hands on her new historicals and it ended up making THE LIST.

message 9: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 05, 2010 03:36PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Oh, some of the books are fine. But the titles! My favorite that I've seen in the last few years was The Playboy Sheikh's Virgin Stable-Girl.

What is THE LIST?

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Susanna wrote: "Oh, some of the books are fine. But the titles! My favorite that I've seen in the last few years was The Playboy Sheikh's Virgin Stable-Girl.

What is THE LIST?"

THE LIST is a *nickname* for my Wall Bangers Listmania on Amazon. I actually maxed out the first one and had to start phase II.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Misfit wrote: "I tried to get the cover uploaded to the GR page but I had technical issues."

which technical issues?? may I help you?

message 12: by Misfit (new)

I will try again later, the same thing happened with the Amazon cover for Susan's novel was switched. I saved it to the PC but when I go to download it I can't *see* the image - it's a blank. I asked the librarians and they said something about it being too new. One of them was able to work the magic and get it on GR eventually.

message 13: by Laura (last edited Mar 06, 2010 12:44PM) (new)

Laura sometimes we have to close the browser and start over again. Someone told is was due to the page refresher or something like that.

message 14: by Misfit (new)

Laura wrote: "sometimes we have to close the browser and start over again. Someone told is was due to the page refresher or something like that."

Hmmm, well it's a day later and the browser was definitely closed so let's see what happens.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura any time I have some trouble with the cover upload, I close the browser and start over, then it works. If the image's size is larger than 100k, normally we get an error msg

message 16: by Misfit (new)

I'm back. The pic still wasn't *there* but I saved the image from this thread and got it up that way.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura very strange, is it a jpeg file?

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura and the box for the copyright was checked also?

message 19: by Misfit (new)

Laura wrote: "and the box for the copyright was checked also?"

Probably not, I don't think I ever noticed that :)

Laura wrote: "very strange, is it a jpeg file?"

Yes

message 20: by Misfit (last edited Mar 11, 2010 11:28AM) (new)

Tanzanite just posted the US cover on her blog. What think you all and where oh where is her henin?

http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/201...

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments I like the US cover better. Publishers must have decided that hennins aren't very cover-friendly.

message 22: by Misfit (new)

Susan wrote: "I like the US cover better. Publishers must have decided that hennins aren't very cover-friendly."

:D

And they're probably right.

message 23: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 36 comments I want that dress! Of course I have no idea where I would wear it, but that's not the point (nor is it important).

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments I want the dress on the US cover as well. Love to wear it to the Renaissance Festival...hehehe

message 25: by Marie Z. (new)

Marie Z. Johansen (mzjohansen) | 12 comments MAP wrote: "Morbidly curious, but the book description saying Edward was cruelly slain by Gloucester or whatever has me nervous. Sounds like the book is trying to say Anne is queen because of her first husband..."

Didn't Edith Felber (Queen of Shadows) write books a la Harlequin too? I enjoyed Queen of Shadows - the historical background was well done although the writing technique was not as good as some other authors that I favor.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments Marie wrote: "Didn't Edith Felber (Queen of Shadows) write books a la Harlequin too? I enjoyed Queen of Shadows - the historical background was well done although the writing technique was not as good as some other authors that I favor."

Edith Felber wrote romances as Edith Layton (I think Misfit read her book The Crimson Crown set during the WOTR). I think she mostly wrote regency romances, though.

message 27: by Misfit (new)

Yes, I've read that and one other of her's set in old New York. Jeanne Westin is another author who has written romances and now moved onto historicals. I did try one of the romances and it was a DNF. Some of the quotes made the purple prose thread.

message 28: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianwainwright) | 149 comments Hmmm - I have read the blurb, and two things strike me. First that no nobleman's daughter in the 15th C would have been at all surprised that her marriage was arranged for her by her family. So I have an immediate '21st century girl in 15th century setting alert' flashing.

Secondly, Richard of Gloucester may have had his faults, but the 'evidence' connecting him to the death of Prince Edward is thin indeed, and it's much more likely that the Prince died in battle. Had he survived the chances are he'd have been beheaded like Somerset et, al. It is certainly highly improbable that Edward IV would have let him off with community service.

message 29: by Misfit (new)

Last I checked I still haven't seen any reviews up at Amazon UK. I'll wait and see if the library picks this up when its out here in the US later this year.

message 30: by Susan (last edited Aug 03, 2010 07:21AM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments I saw a manuscript of the novel. I thought Anne was portrayed well--not the usual spiritless, sickly Anne of historical fiction. Richard, Duke of Gloucester is given the usual good-guy treatment. Edward of Lancaster, on the other hand, is depicted as having an incestuous relationship with Margaret of Anjou.

message 31: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

message 32: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianwainwright) | 149 comments Very iccky! I suppose it has the merit of being an original slander, but for me it tips the balance beyond the point where a bit of fictional interpretation is fair. The problem is someone is likely to believe it's true.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments In her author's note, the author said, "The closeness of the relationship between Queen Margaret and her son invites speculation." There would be quite a few mothers and sons in between the sheets together if closeness equated to incest, methinks.

message 34: by Misfit (new)

MAP wrote: "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww."

I second that. Ugh.

Brian wrote: "Very iccky! I suppose it has the merit of being an original slander, but for me it tips the balance beyond the point where a bit of fictional interpretation is fair. The problem is someone is likel..."

Particularly since I'm finding authors doing this and not fessing up in the notes what was made up. If the library gets it I'll take a hit for the *team*.

message 35: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Susan wrote: "In her author's note, the author said, "The closeness of the relationship between Queen Margaret and her son invites speculation." There would be quite a few mothers and sons in between the sheets ..."

Good grief! I'm torn between the ick factor and total disbelief. I second the notion that if one follows that statement to it's logical conclusion that incest must be rampant!

message 36: by Misfit (last edited Aug 04, 2010 05:55AM) (new)

Susan wrote: "In her author's note, the author said, "The closeness of the relationship between Queen Margaret and her son invites speculation." There would be quite a few mothers and sons in between the sheets ..."

Oh gawd. Did she go to the Alan Savage school of butchering? Any idea what she's got planned next?

message 37: by Susan (last edited Aug 04, 2010 05:59AM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments Margaret and Edward aren't actually shown in bed together (small mercies!), but Anne witnesses them touching each other and guesses "the truth" about their relationship.

Aside from that, Margaret and Edward are depicted as the usual Evil Lancastrians typical of this genre. Edward snaps the necks of Anne's birds in a fit of irritation and smacks Anne on occasion.

message 38: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianwainwright) | 149 comments Oh - my - God.

So I guess from now on I have to assume that any man close to his mother has sex with her. Unless he's gay of course, because that's the other classical stereo type.

I think I want to be sick.

message 39: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments Yup, all men are either gay or doing it with their mothers. It was good of Anne O'Brien to finally bring this silenced topic to the forefront of literature.

message 40: by Joan (last edited Aug 05, 2010 11:58AM) (new)

Joan Szechtman | 401 comments Have been lurking on this thread, but felt I had to jump in here to thank all of you for helping me steer clear of this *cough* gem--NOT. What really bugs me about Edward of Lancaster's literary treatment for the most part is that he has to be nasty in some way in order for Anne Neville to have become Richard's "willing" wife. From the discussion here, I'm very pleased that I didn't fall into that trap in my own novel; although Anne wasn't part of it except in Richard's thoughts. But I did allow Richard to think that Anne may have come to love her first husband.

message 41: by Misfit (new)

Everyone can now sleep at night. Harriet gave it five and called it "biographical".

I must put in a purchase request after all.

message 42: by Susan (last edited Nov 07, 2010 06:06AM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments I looked through the US edition in the store here. There's no author's note, but there is a lengthy interview with the author. Unless I missed it, she never mentions in the interview that the incestual relationship is purely her own invention.

message 43: by Misfit (new)

Library has ordered a copy so I'll have it soon. A very good catch from a commenter at Harriet's review,

"Still her father forces her to wed the rebellious sibling Edward with the war for the throne of England still going unabated."

Think maybe Harriet got her Edwards confused?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Golly, that's a well-written, coherent sentence. Not.

message 45: by Misfit (new)

Susanna wrote: "Golly, that's a well-written, coherent sentence. Not."

Oh, I've seen a lot worse from her.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Undoubtedly!

message 47: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments *Sigh*

I still think I'm going to give this one a shot. I can't pass up something on Richard III. I hope I don't come to regret it! Lol!

message 48: by Misfit (new)

OK, I have my copy and just started a bit. "Praise" on the inside flap comes from Sand Worth, Jeane Westin, Kate Emerson and Karen Harper. There's a map of England and geneology chart.

First person POV. Argh!

message 49: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Now there's four authors of quality, and historically accurate fiction...not! Some of their books are good fun though, well sort of...lol.

I don't think you're going to like this one Misfit, despite it's Ricardian leanings....lol.

message 50: by Misfit (new)

Jemidar wrote: "Now there's four authors of quality, and historically accurate fiction...not! Some of their books are good fun though, well sort of...lol.

I don't think you're going to like this one Misfit, desp..."

Hehe, I'll try to do constant updates.

Chapter one was about trying to land at Calais as Isabelle's giving birth. Now Chapter two has flipped back to Richard's arrival at Middleham for his knightly training (the word knightly was used). He and Anne are having a long conversation about his family's back history, how dad got the whack from Margaret, their exile, etc.

Shouldn't Anne know that already?

« previous 1