Arthuriana -- all things King Arthur ! discussion

Reconnecting with the group

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 188 comments Mod
I wanted to get back on the Arthuriana group after a long absence. I know the group has not been very active, but if anyone has been interested in trying any new activities, please let me know. If you would like to try any new group reads or buddy reads, let me know and I will happily post discussion folders and list the reads at the top of the page -- in what I call the billboard -- don't know what it is really called.

message 2: by Johnny (new)

Johnny | 11 comments I for one would be interested, I am new to this group and would like to get involved in some interesting "projects) ect.

message 4: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments I've got both of those on my to read list... along with the alliterative Morte Arthure and the stanzaic Le Morte Arthur.

message 5: by SarahC (new)

Those are good suggestions. Would anyone else like to join in a read of these? Would anyone like to suggest timeframes? I know we are all probably involved in other reads also.

message 6: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments Most group reads I'm involved with last a month, with people joining the discussion as they finish the books, which prevents the discussion from not getting off the ground at all due to people forgetting... Perhaps we could start in April or something, giving people time to get round to getting the books or whatever, and then do something like that. Or someone who knows the book already could post some questions to provoke reactions, or something like that.

message 7: by SarahC (new)

Great ideas. Getting organize helps in the group read. What were you suggesting in preventing members from forgetting to join in?

I also forgot to mention that I will post a buddy read (side read) of Connecticut Yankee in K. Arthur's Court by Twain due to reading it in an offline group this spring. I am not sure what the discussion date will be here, but will check and post it in advance if anyone wants to join in that one.

message 8: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments Having the discussion start as soon as reading the book does, so there's some activity constantly, instead of waiting for people to finish it (I've never been in a group where that tactic has really worked).

The buddy read of Connecticut Yankee sounds good; that's on my to read list too.

message 9: by SarahC (new)

I think you still have to post that the read will begin after some amount of time to enable people to obtain the book, but past that point the discussion can be posted and begun.

We will see if any further comments are posted and then choose what and when!

message 10: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments Oh yes, that's sort of what I meant. But some groups, they decide on the book and then decide on a date to read it, but not start a discussion thread for it on that date...

message 11: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 301 comments Wasn't much in the way of discussion on the last few reads.
Still up for something though.

message 12: by SarahC (new)

O-B and Nikki, we don't seem to have any other requests. Would you like me to post a folder for group reads for any of the titles you mentioned? And would you rather them be staggered rather than simultaneous so people could participate in both if they become interested?

I could post a discussion folder for whichever you preferred. If each of you wanted to be somewhat a leader for the discussions, you could just add a topic in that folder for when you want to begin and how you suggest the pace go -- for example, discuss the book by chapter or section OR begin an overall discussion at once, with threads divided by topics or characters or something.

I think I will target Conn. Yankee in K. Arthur's Court to begin April 9.

If you choose your titles I will also load them into the Currently Reading section in bookshelf which allows the the book cover images to show at the top of our main group page here.

Let me know and I will be happy to help.

message 13: by SarahC (new)

Ok, I went ahead and posted Conn. Yankee. So if you guys choose ones that you want to begin ASAP, they will actually go up before Conn. Yankee.

Forgive me if you are already familiar with all these details, I just wasn't sure. There are many steps in maneuvering GoodReads that I sure don't know still myself.

message 14: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments April 9 suits me well for Connecticut Yankee, I don't have a physical copy but it's on my ereader, if I remember rightly, so no problems acquiring it.

I don't know that I'd want to be a discussion leader for anything suggested so far -- I would if it was something I know, but... I'll have a think!

message 15: by SarahC (new)

Thanks for considering it maybe for later, Nikki. I am not adept at the older texts, so I don't feel I could be a stand-along guide in those cases.

I look forward to discussing CY by Twain.

message 16: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments I'm probably doing a module on King Arthur in my third year, looking forward to that. My main thing is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, at the moment. I could discuss that until I'm blue in the face. *laughs* I've read three different translations of it in the last week alone, and the Middle English original...

I've got quite a few of the older texts on my to read list, so if I start reading them and I can see how to start some discussion on them, I'd be happy to lead it.

message 17: by Johnny (new)

Johnny | 11 comments I will join you, in the conn yankee for april 9th, I am also in the middle of Green knight, but I was reading at the library and someonwe else checked it out, I will follow your posts and hope to get to get the flow of how this all works down a little better.
I am giving up for the moment on The Coming of the King,-N. Tolstoy, I am 1/2 way thru and he has bored me to the point of giving up. maybe I will pick it up in the future, , but I was really into the S.G Green Knight before it went away just having read Merlins Harp by the same author. I believe I read conneticut yankee in king aurthurs court, about 30 years ago so maybe that will clear away some of the "cob-webs"

message 18: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments Johnny, are you talking about a translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, or a novelisation?

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (jiminyc) I a new to Goodreads and this group and looking forward to learning my way around. I downloaded Connecticut Yankee from a free site to my ipod. I must've read it as a teenager but that was ahem, a long time ago.

message 20: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments I looked at it on amazon and it doesn't look like there are any copies... Looks like I got lucky, picking it up at a second hand book store.

message 21: by SarahC (new)

I am also interested in the Tristan. The only web store I have checked so far is Alibris.com and they have available copies.

message 22: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments Of course, I was looking at the UK amazon.

message 23: by SarahC (new)

Right, Nikki, you are in Wales, yes? I am in the southern U.S. I didn't check our Amazon.com either.

message 24: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments Yep! Or, well, usually, anyway. Right now I'm in England (boo).

message 25: by Johnny (new)

Johnny | 11 comments I just ordered the book from my Local Library there was one copy in one of the neighboring Branches,
and am looking forward for it's arrival.

message 26: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Mar 27, 2010 03:54AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 301 comments Try: http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/s...
Or any other academic stylee bookshop, maybe on a campus near you that does a medieval lit course.
Picked mine up from James Thin/Blackwell's on Edinburgh's South Bridge a while back.

message 27: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 301 comments Anyone starting to read anything soon?
Just finished the intro to Tristan: With the Surviving Fragments of the 'Tristan of Thomas' but happy to put it on hold if others are going to join later. Looks good, and some good reviews on goodreads too.

message 28: by SarahC (new)

I will post a discussion folder for Twain's Connect. Yankee, and I have also ordered but not received Tristan. If you want me to go ahead and post the folder so discussion can begin on Tristan, just let me know. I can join in later on. Opinions on this from several members would be nice, so we know interest.

message 29: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Apr 03, 2010 11:42PM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 301 comments Couldn't wait, so started Tris. Very good so far, top translation.
If I'm the only one reading it though, don't bother with a folder, I'll just do a review when finished and join any later discussion if/when it starts.

message 30: by Nicky (new)

Nicky (shanaqui) | 146 comments I'll be reading it at some point relatively soon.

message 31: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Apr 04, 2010 06:14AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 301 comments Nikki, I think you'll like it. I'm just at the bit where Izzy and Tris get back to Cornwall...I think we all know how this goes so that shouldn't be much of a spoiler. Having read a bunch of old Arthurian stuff recently I have to say this is one of the best translations I've come across. I think some folk might be put off it by it being written circa 1210, and that it might be a bit creaky. It isn't though...but I'll stop ranting and leave that until a thread starts.

message 32: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (mystico_tala) | 3 comments Read Tristan a few weeks ago, I thought it was fantastic. The translation was great, and I thought the story and writing felt very modern for a book written in 1210. It was more interesting than other versions of the story that I've read. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

message 33: by Tony (new)

Tony Hays | 9 comments I wanted to let everyone know that Sarah Johnson at Reading the Past has an interview up with me this morning. In it I discuss my introduction to the Arthurian world and why I made some of the decisions I did in my new Arthurian mystery series from Tor/Forge.

message 34: by Johnny (new)

Johnny | 11 comments Has anyone here read The series by Jack Whyte the Camulod chronicles? I was considering starting it, but have seen very mixed reviews, either they love it or hate it, anyone want to thow in their opinion?
Thanks Johnny*******

message 35: by Tony (new)

Tony Hays | 9 comments I read one of the early volumes, Johnny, but not the later ones. I've had to curtail my reading of other Arthurian series since I began my own. But my editor, who edited that series, thinks very highly of it.

message 36: by Johnny (new)

Johnny | 11 comments thanks Tony ,for the imput! also just to let you know I have ordered your book The Killing Way, the Library had The Divine Sacrifice but I thought it best to start at the begining. thanks again

message 37: by Tony (new)

Tony Hays | 9 comments No, thank you!