Tudor History Lovers discussion

Rushed book list

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (last edited Mar 05, 2010 05:08AM) (new)

Tina | 0 comments My Husband is making an unexpected trip home to the States and has agreed to bring back books. I've got two days to get them ordered from Amazon. What books am I forgetting that I definitely should have on the list?

(I feel like one of those people on a game show who have exactly 10 minutes to rush through the grocery store picking up as many items as they can.)

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy Abney | 6 comments Tina,
Get Wolf Hall. It is excellent fiction, well written and well researched.
Happy Reading!
Joy

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Thanks Joy. I have read Wolf Hall--it was a good recommendation :-) I've been trying to be selective in what I choose--but don't want to forget anything good! I'm so excited to be getting actual real books (kindle doesn't have everything!)

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments I mentioned it on another thread but Sharon Kay Penman's are among the best for medievals, as well as Elizabeth Chadwick. The Greatest Knight and soon The Scarlet Lion are available again in the US.

Karleen Koen, Through A Glass Darkly.

Seton's books are awesome

Certainly not Tudor related, but if you want US fiction, look at Gwen Bristow's books. I loved Calico Palace.

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Thanks again Misfit--like I said before, you've got great taste in books!

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments Do you enjoy travel books? I love Bill Bryson as an author so recommend any of his if you can't get them locally. And I agree - Sharon Kay Penman's mystery series staring Justin de Quincy are fabulous!

What kinds of books are you looking for? Tudor specific?

message 7: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Tina, a while back Jennifer started a thread that has a Tudor author cheat sheet on it. Anyone, subject wise, you are currently obsessed with?

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Paula wrote: "Do you enjoy travel books? I love Bill Bryson as an author so recommend any of his if you can't get them locally. And I agree - Sharon Kay Penman's mystery series staring Justin de Quincy are fabul..."

You know, I haven't read many travel books--in fact, none come to mind. Maybe I'll have to check them out! Thanks for the reminder of the Justin de Quincy books--the first two aren't on kindle, so I should put them in the shopping cart. Poor DH, he'll be over the baggage limit due to my books!

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Colleen wrote: "Tina, a while back Jennifer started a thread that has a Tudor author cheat sheet on it. Anyone, subject wise, you are currently obsessed with?"

Good idea to check the cheat sheet Colleen! Thanks. PS: I love your name--it's my middle name, and my mom's too ;-)

message 10: by Suzanne (last edited Mar 06, 2010 01:02PM) (new)

Suzanne (chatternyc) | 178 comments Since you've got a Kindle, I'd check all these lists against what is available on Kindle, and then you can maximize the value of what your husband can bring home! So, some of the Penman titles are available on it, but not all -- pick the ones that you can't Kindle. I don't think the Seton titles are available on Kindle, nor are Elizabeth Chadwick's books. If you're interested in Egyptian HF, you could get some of Pauline Gedge's books, which aren't on Kindle. Most of the Plaidy books that are being reissued are being put on Kindle. I'd look at the two volumes in Robert Harris's Rome series, and also Reay Tannahill's books about Mary Queen of Scots (Fatal Majesty) and Richard III; there's a good one set in 15th century Scotland called The world, the Flesh and the Devil. The de Quincy books aren't on Kindle. Nor are most of Margaret George's books -- I'd get the Henry VIII 'autobiography' and her Mary Queen of Scots book. Jude Morgan, The King's Touch or Passion or The Taste of Sorrow -- all excellent. That author also writes Georgian-era mysteries under the name of Hannah March -- all v. good. None of these are on Kindle.
I'm finding more and more is on Kindle, and it's only backlist titles or books by English authors that are problems from a Kindle POV.

Shortlist:
Anya Seton: Katherine, and anything else that strikes your fancy
Margaret George: the two titles I've mentioned
Penman: anything not on Kindle.
Elizabeth Chadwick: whatever strikes your interest.
Pauline Gedge: I'd recommend the novel about Hatshepsut, and the Lady of the Two Lands two book-series, or the trilogy that starts with The Hippopotamus Marsh.
Jude Morgan: as noted
Reay Tannahill: as noted.

Any of the above would be on my personal "must own" list and can't currently be bought for Kindle.

I could make loads of recommendations in all kinds of genres, but not easily without knowing what interests you. Most of the stuff that's jumping to my mind immediately is either newer and findeable on Kindle, or else a UK title and not readily available in the US.

If you like mysteries, there's a rather good series of about six books, all in paperback now, by Thomas Perry -- all feature Jane Whitefield. (Avoid his others.) Susanna Gregory has two series of good mysteries, one set in Restoration London; the other in medieval Cambridge (or Oxford??).

Oddly, you can get the Winds of War on Kindle, but not the sequel, War and Remembrance. So if the former interests you, this is a good opportunity to add the latter.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Wow Suzanne, you are simply awesome! Thanks for taking so much time to help me out. I've checked out the books you've mentioned. . . they all look interesting! We share a very similar taste in books--love the Egyptian recommendations especially by Gedge (when I looked at them, they have a re-release date of 21 April 10. I wonder if they plan on making them kindle at that time too?) Jude Morgan/Hannah March sounds fantastic! Reay Tannahill sounds interesting too. . .

When I told my husband of all the books I had in my Amazon shopping cart, he kindly asked me to pair it down :-) I guess he didn't want to spend the extra $250 on overweight baggage--can you believe that price?

Thanks again!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Hey Tina - Let us know what your husband comes back with, I would love to know what you decided on.

Suzanne - As usual, a great list. I am adding Pauline Gedge and Jude Morgan to my list.

message 13: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Tina, if he didn't want to spend an extra $250 on book weight baggage he shouldn't have asked for a book wishlist! LOL ;)

message 14: by Tina (last edited Mar 10, 2010 05:19PM) (new)

Tina | 0 comments Here's the list of what I ordered from Amazon--the question is will all of them make the luggage?

1. The Queen's Man, Penman
2. Cruel as the Grave, Penman
3. Katherine, Seyton
4. Avalon, Seyton
5. The Stolen Crown, Higginbotham
6. The Traitor's Wife Higginbotham
7. Nicholas and Alexandra, Massie
8. War of the Roses, Weir
9. The Life of Elizabeth I, Weir
10. Caligula, Barrett

I was diagnosed with migraines at age 6, but only recently has it changed to a diagnosis of chronic migraines and was put on lifelong, preventative medication. Bummer that these non fun books had to take up precious luggage space, but what can you do?

11. Heal Your Headache, Buchholz
12. The Magnesium Solution, Cohen
13. The Migraine Brain, Bernstein

You should have seen my list before I paired it down! I had well over 25 books! I decided to wait to see if some of them (e.g. Gedge, etc) would make it to kindle soon.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I can speak for Katherine by Seyton in saying that I loved it. It does start out slow. I should check out Avalon by her too.

message 16: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Looks like a good list Tina!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) What a great list, Tina. That should keep you busy for a few days, huh? You have some great books there, though!

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) Jayme wrote: "I can speak for Katherine by Seyton in saying that I loved it. It does start out slow. I should check out Avalon by her too."

Seyton's Green Darkness is one of my favorites. It's another good one to check out.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments I personally have enjoyed Katherine, Nicholas and Alexandra, and The Life of Elizabeth I.

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Yay! My books came! I mean, my husband's back! All of them made the luggage except for Caligula which didn't get there in time. I'm so torn with which one to start first!

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments Start with the first Penman, that's my opinion. They're a quick read and just plain fun!

message 22: by Brigid (new)

Brigid (sillybrigid) | 37 comments Tina -- This is vaguely off-topic, but I am going to read The Migraine Brain soon. I've had migraines since I was about 5. If you get to it before I do, let me know what you think.

message 23: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Tina wrote: "Yay! My books came! I mean, my husband's back! All of them made the luggage except for Caligula which didn't get there in time. I'm so torn with which one to start first!"

Lol! Priorities are priorities after all :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments Golly am I glad I don't seem to get migraines anymore.

I guess it's the up side of my stroke?

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Brigid wrote: "Tina -- This is vaguely off-topic, but I am going to read The Migraine Brain soon. I've had migraines since I was about 5. If you get to it before I do, let me know what you think."

I will--and the same with you if you get to it before me!

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina | 0 comments Susanna wrote: "Golly am I glad I don't seem to get migraines anymore.

I guess it's the up side of my stroke?"

Way to find the positive ;-)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments To quote an astronomy show I used to catch on PBS - "Keep looking up!"

message 28: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Ya, your books are there! Oh, um, I mean your husband is back safe and sound! LOL

Great quote Susanna!