SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Avatar idea Stolen

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Frost (michellefrost) It seems the Avatar movie is actually a book written by someone else. He's NOT happy and I don't blame him! Imagine someone taking your book, making it into a movie and not giving you any credit, not even in naming you as the author of the idea! ;-(

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100304/t...

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, could be true, but I'm wary of claims like this - it's also possible that this author is trying to exploit Cameron. Something similar happened to JK Rowling. On the other hand, if Cameron is guilty he should pay up and deserves to be disgraced for it.

Avatar is hardly original though, it's only its amazing animation that makes it so incredible. The story itself is an old sci fi theme, and I don't doubt there are many novels with similarities. Cameron would certainly have been influenced by other stories in the genre, but that doesn't necessarily amount to plagiarism.

message 3: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Will be interesting to see what happens!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Frost (michellefrost) Hi Lauren
Good points.

Hi Lu
yeah, whatever happens it certainly will only add to the whole Avatar media frenzy!

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracymm) | 43 comments Avatar reminded me so much of Pocahontas

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Frost (michellefrost) Hi Tracy
I hadn't thought of that. And it's true really... so many books it's really just the setting that changes, the basic story stays the same.