The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Late to the party

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaion (last edited Mar 05, 2010 12:40AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Been commenting around this week, forget to introduce myself!

Hello, I'm Kaion. Looking over how many plain bad books I chose to read last year with my limited free time, it's clear I need a little more direction. :) And discussing books is always fun.

I am so out of date with reading trends all the time! Urban fantasy??? (The last time I really paid attention to fantasy this genre wasn't a "thing", was it?) Man, there's an overwhelming variety of books out there in the world sometimes.

message 2: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments Welcome Kaion,

Your not kidding , that's why my TBR pile is growing by leaps and bounds...What are your interests?

message 3: by Kaion (last edited Mar 05, 2010 09:58AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) I'm in college. Right now the class that is overwhelming and mind-twisting for me is Social Psychology, so maybe on spring break I should find some books to read up better on that.

I like reading. I'm an unrepentant fangirl. I like TV. Right now, I'm slowly watching through the State of Play miniseries. (I might be a little in love with John Simm.)

I like taking hikes when the weather is nice. I'm thinking about starting a vegetable garden this weekend if it doesn't rain. I haven't figured out which vegetables yet though. Potatoes are almost too easy. Tomatoes are almost too hard. Corn takes up too much room. I liked snow peas. I haven't experience with any other vegetables, hmmm.

message 4: by El (new)

El Cucumbers!

message 5: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 42 comments Kaion wrote: "I'm thinking about starting a vegetable garden this weekend if it doesn't rain. I haven't figured out which vegetables yet though. Potatoes are almost too easy. Tomatoes are almost too hard. Corn takes up too much room. I liked snow peas. I haven't experience with any other vegetables, hmmm. "

You can plant tomato seeds in milk jugs then transplant them as seedlings.
(see www.wintersown.org)

message 6: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments ohhh the garden makes me hink of spring... i can't wait!!! This weekend we are suppose to have tmperatures of 50 to 55 in South Jersey. I am looking orward to a walk and hopefully finishing the book I am reading, Weeping Underwater Looks alot Like Laughter. What could be better?!!1

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Hi Kaion welcome formally to the next best book club.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10088 comments Mod
Hi Kaion, welcome to the group. I cant wait for spring to get here either.... I like to take the kids to the park and read while they run around!!!

message 9: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Actually I live in Cali, and the daffodils bloomed like 2 weeks ago. So it's pretty spring-ish here already, except still prone-ish to bouts of rain.

Cucumbers, eh? I can swing that. Now it's just roping my friends into helping me (they owe me for assembling Ikea furniture).

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol I live in So. Cali. Kaion. Think about planting your leafy greens . Cucumbers grow like weeds as does zucchini. But these are sooo good for you.

message 11: by L (new)

L (audinosbiitch) I've been commenting a LOT here but haven't introduced myself. I am Annabeth. Hi!

message 12: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments Hi Annabeth!

message 13: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Hello Annabeth.

message 14: by L (new)

L (audinosbiitch) Hi!

message 15: by Alex (last edited Mar 18, 2010 12:38PM) (new)

Alex When I'm new to a site, I always assume everyone else has been here for ages. Ha. Hi officially, Kaion. We joined around the same time.

It's like 60 and gorgeous in Boston today! Incredibly exciting. We're gonna go wander through the woods with the dog for like an hour after work.

El's totally wrong, cucumbers are boring. I judge your vegetables, El.

Y'know what's midway between potatoes and tomatoes difficulty-wise, versatile in cooking, not too much room, and delicious? Peppers.

message 16: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Oh Alex, you bring argument to every thread, don't you. I need you in some of my boring classes.

message 17: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Oh, I'm afraid you might think *so* poorly about us Americans after you see it. (I did a bit after The Departed... the parts I could sit through anyway.)

Russell Crowe apparently takes it upon himself to do all the drinking *all* the characters did in the original**. And Ben Affleck is a little too swarmy to pull off David Morrissey's charm. But it's short and sweet (I saw it on a plane).

**I don't think I've ever seen normal people drinking that much on American television. It's always a plot point on TV this side of pond, I'm afraid. Like they're alcoholics. Or it's Mad Men (and they're all culturally-accepted alcoholics). Or they are a group of friends that constantly hang out at the bar. Interesting culture/censorship divide? Definitely, I'm thinking.

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol That is so funny Fiona, I am addicted to BBC series we get here in the States.