Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Judith McNaught

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2) by Judith McNaught

One of the best HR I have ever read, I hope she will start writing Historical again.

message 2: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I have the first book on my tbr list. And was thinking about reading it soon.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 21 comments Shell wrote: "Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2) by Judith McNaught

One of the best HR I have ever read, I hope she will start writing Historical again."

I LOVED Whitney My Love. I have reread it many times. I wish there were more authors like her out this. Garwood and Kleypas are the closest that I have found.

message 4: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Susan wrote: "Shell wrote: "Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2) by Judith McNaught

One of the best HR I have ever read, I hope she will start writing Historical again."

I LOVED Whitney My Love. I have reread it many times...."

I have to find a Garwood book, that I can get into. I started Castles, and I couldn't get into it.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) The Wedding is really good, but I love all her books...OH "Prince Charming" is good too!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 21 comments Saving Grace was good.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Susan wrote: "Saving Grace was good."

Yes, I liked Saving Grace as well.

message 8: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I just have to say... When in the hell is McNaught gonna grace us with another historical???? I miss her...:( To me, she is and will always remain, the Queen of Historical Romance!! Enough Contemporary Judith... lets get back to the good stuff!! (No offence to any and all Contemporary Romance lovers out there...:)

message 9: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I thought she wasn't going to write anymore historical? I have one of her contemporaries, but haven't read it yet. I second more historicals! :)

message 10: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

WHAT?!? That would be a huge disappointment, if its true. Where did you hear that? In an interview or something?

message 11: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I don't remember if it was McNaught's website, a book blurb or here.

message 12: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I just looked on a website dedicated to all things McNaught and she made a statement in 2004 saying she may finish a historical she started a while ago and didn't finish. But that was all that was said. She hasn't released a historical since the '90's, they just keep getting reprinted.

message 13: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I know... Its a sad, sad thing. Why stop what your obviously brilliant at? Well, I guess if your hearts not into it.....

message 14: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I think that must be what happened.

message 15: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I just started Whitney My Love, I am about 200 pages into the story and I am sucked right into the story like I was with A Kingdom of Dreams. Even though I am only 200 pages in, in my opinion Whitney My Love is one of the best written historical romances ever written!!!! This one I will definitely keep and reread.

message 16: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

It's an amazing story... One of my Fave's.

message 17: by Alycia (new)

Alycia So far I am loving it. I am waiting for all the emotional angst I keep hearing about. I already consider it a favorite :)

message 18: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Oh, hold on to your socks! Its coming! (did I seriously just say, 'hold on to your socks?', I'm officially a geek!)

message 19: by Alycia (new)

Alycia LMAO! I will hold onto them. I haven't read any today, but I will pick it up soon.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I really love "Whitney My Love" as well.

message 21: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I am not really seeing the angst. I mean it sucks that her father is an ass and the duke should have been more upfront with her... but I am only on page 340. I guess my heart will be ripped out later?

message 22: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

What all has happened so far? I can't ask questions.. Without fear of giving soemthing away.

message 23: by Alycia (new)

Alycia They just got introduced at the Rutherford ball and said that Whitney was his betrothed to him and then everyone was gossiping. She hasn't run into Nicki yet. She was going to elope with Paul but can't do that to claymore now that people know she wad intended to claymore. Paul is still out of town. Whitney was just supposed to be in lonon for a few days visiting her newly married friend and go to the gala. She just found out in the carriage as well how much money was given to her dad.

message 24: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Okay, heart breaking, breath stealing angst is on its way...

message 25: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Thanks for letting me know. I was worried after hearing that there would be, that there was something wrong with me, lol. I was prepared for heartache and tears.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Did you find the angst alright, Alycia?

message 27: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Heather wrote: "Did you find the angst alright, Alycia?"

Oh I finally ran into it and when I thought it was all over, there was more. It was a great book but definite angst. I wanted to write a review for the book, but didn't want to have to relive the book again, so I didn't. I'll definitely have to do a reread of it.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Yeah, it's for sure a re-reader...glad you liked it.

message 29: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I have read it 2wice, will most likely read it tons more, and plan a re-read of all her historicals.

message 30: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I can totally see my self doing that too, although I haven't read them all yet. And it could have been my mood at the time, but I didn't care for Almost Heaven.

message 31: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

WHAT!!!!!!! Oh my heart is breaking... MY ALLTIME FAVE HISTORICAL MCNAUGHT ROMANCE...

message 32: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Shell wrote: "WHAT!!!!!!! Oh my heart is breaking... MY ALLTIME FAVE HISTORICAL MCNAUGHT ROMANCE..."

I do what to try it again, like I said it could have been a reading slump or just me.

message 33: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I guess I shouldn't say much.. Lol.. after all, I am in one of those as I type.. therefor can totally relate.

message 34: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I have loved the other McNaught books I have read, so I will eventually give AH a second go

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) What one was Almost Heaven again? Was that the one with the competition and stuff at the end and the girl was kidnapped with her sister from outside the abby (??) at the beginning? If so, I wasn't a huge fan of it either.

message 36: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

No that was A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1) by Judith McNaught .... (Not my fave either)... Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught was the one where she ended up a jilted spinster, and her Brother wrote letter to all of her previous suiters in a desperate attempt to marry her off... and the one guy who once loved her, now jaded, (of course) hates her.. and she mistakingly ends up on his remote cabins door step in Scotland, he doesnt want her there.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I've never read that one then...how the heck did that happen?

message 38: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I loved Kingdom of Dreams but it was my first McNaught.

message 39: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Oh... Heather YOU HAVE TO READ IT!!!! My fave.. some fantastic scenes. Another one that made me cry.

Alycia, I'm gonna give Kingdom of Dreams another try, as I read it right after.. Once and Always by Judith McNaught ,,, So I think it ruined it for me.

message 40: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I need to read Once and Always as well. I loved KoD, not everyone does though. I think you either love it or it was just ok. I'm interested to hear what you think of it the second time around.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Once and Always, is that with Stephan? Am I even thinking of the right author?

message 42: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

No Jason Fielding....

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Frig...whatever. Maybe I'll just list the plot and main characters of every book I've ever read and eventually I'll hit jackpot!

message 44: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

HAHAHAHAHAH... It's a handicap we all share I'm sure. It's kinda hard when you read as much as we do.

message 45: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Alycia wrote: "I just looked on a website dedicated to all things McNaught and she made a statement in 2004 saying she may finish a historical she started a while ago and didn't finish. But that was all that was ..."

Judith is supposed to release a book Dec. 2011. I know it is a long time but at least it is something. As of right now it is called "Can't take my eyes off of you". On a McNaught website I'm on Judith dropped in a month or so ago and said hi. She has been very busy writing so hopefully the book will be released on time. I think she stopped writing to take care of her mom when she was ill and then took some time off for herself.

I love McNaught and have read everyone of her books several times. AKOD's is my favorite followed by WML. If you like a contemporary "Paradise" is really good too. But her historicals are magical. After she stopped writing for so long I went on a search for a new author to read. I have found several wonderful authors but still none that compare to JM.

message 46: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Katherine wrote: "Alycia wrote: "I just looked on a website dedicated to all things McNaught and she made a statement in 2004 saying she may finish a historical she started a while ago and didn't finish. But that wa..."

I've seen conflicting info, so I am glad to hear that! I also saw that the hero is a Westmoreland descendant. I have not read any of her contemporaries to know if this is the first one or not... Is Can't take my eyes off of you contemporary? That was the impression I got.

message 47: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Yes it is a contemporary and it is a Westmoreland. He is either a current football player or ex-football player. I can't remember.

message 48: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Judith McNaught is the reason why I started reading HRs recently. I've read a couple of her contemporaries and will need to catch up on the rest before her next Westermoreland release. You're right, Katherine...her historicals are magical. I've yet to find an author to even compare!!

message 49: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I agree with you Kay.

message 50: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I have to recommend Laura Kinsale. I think she is just as good or close to McNaught but not as much angst.

« previous 1 3