Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Candace Camp

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
New Series... Can't wait... another of my fave's

A Lady Never Tells by Candace Camp and A Gentleman Always Remembers by Candace Camp

message 2: by Julianna (last edited Mar 06, 2010 06:46PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments I've only read one of her books so far, and it was just OK for me. I had read other books with similar plots that were better written IMO. I'll probably give her another try sometime though.

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Which book was it thet you read Julie?

message 4: by Julianna (last edited Mar 14, 2010 07:07PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments The book I read was Impulse. It had some themes that I usually like such as the reunion romance and opposite sides of the track, but it just didn't fully work for me. I think maybe Impulse was too similar to Lisa Kleypas' Again The Magic, a book I love, and so it paled in comparison.

message 5: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "The book I read was Impulse. It had some themes that I usually like such as the reunion romance and opposite sides of the track, but it just didn't fully work for me. I think maybe I..."

I haven't read 'Impulse'... I have read 'Again the Magic' and loved it. It was my first Kleypas book.

message 6: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) I thought IMPULSE was much better than AGAIN THE MAGIC. I'll also point out that IMPULSE came out before the kleypas.

I find Camp on par with Kleypas. which makes Camp very underrated and Kleypas very OVERrated in my mind.

message 7: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments I was aware that Impulse was published before Again the Magic, because I looked it up right after I read it. I just happened to read them in the reverse order. It's possible I might have liked Impulse better if I had read it first, but I honesty didn't base my opinions solely on the similarities between the two books. I just didn't find myself as engaged by Candace Camp's writing style as I have been by other authors.

message 8: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "I was aware that Impulse was published before Again the Magic, because I looked it up right after I read it. I just happened to read them in the reverse order. It's possible I might have liked Impu..."

You should try her 'matchmaker series'.. its what hooked me. The Marriage Wager (The Matchmakers #1) by Candace Camp

This is the first one.

message 9: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments Thanks for the suggestion, Shell. Maybe when I get around to picking up one of her books again, that's what I'll go with.

message 10: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I have just started A Lady Never Tells (Willowmere Sisters Series, Book 1) by Candace Camp and am Loving it so far...

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "I have just started A Lady Never Tells (Willowmere Sisters Series, Book 1) by Candace Camp and am Loving it so far..."

I thought it was pretty good too. You mentioned to me that the plot wasn't too brilliant and I agree; that isn't going to stop me from reading more Candace Camp though.

Oh, and I wish the main dude wasn't a blonde...not sure why, but for some reason that didn't do it for me. Because generally blondes, aka Eric, really do it for me.

message 12: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited May 13, 2010 05:09PM) (new)

I don't dig blondes, I like the tall, dark and brooding type... ( or pale, if they are of the Vampire variety...) I love Candace Camp tho, Heather. You really need to read more of her...

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "I don't dig blondes, I like the tall, dark and brooding type... ( or pale, if they are of the Vampire variety...) I love Candace Camp tho, Heather. You really need to read more of her..."

Dark and brooding are my faves too, but let's not forget our #1 lover...he's a ginger for sure.

message 14: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

True Dat!!! ... He's my one exception to the rule.

message 15: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Shell wrote: "New Series... Can't wait... another of my fave's

A Lady Never Tells (Willowmere Sisters Series, Book 1) by Candace Camp and A Gentleman Always Remembers by Candace Camp"

I want to try Camp. What should I read first Shell?

message 16: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I would look for book one of the matchmakers, or the mad morelands. I would add a link, but can't because I'm doing this via my phone. I think I may have added links on both here though.

message 17: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Thanks, I will look for them.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I just started Beyond Compare tonight. It was only 0.10 at my local thrift store.
So far, it's too frenetic for me. I can't handle chaos in real life or in the books I read. Only 14 pages in, I feel like I'm smack dab in the middle of a foreign circus and I can't figure out what the heck is going on.
If I can't get into it by page 50, I'm going to have to retire it for the time being.

message 19: by Alycia (new)

Alycia WOW, that is not good.

message 20: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited May 21, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

They really are good, but I am having a difficult time remembering them entirely. I know Rhonda and I devoured all of her books. I think the 'Mad Moreland' series is one needed to be read in order though..

Mesmerized (Moreland Family, #1) by Candace Camp Winterset (Moreland Family, #3) by Candace Camp Beyond Compare (Moreland Family #2) by Candace Camp An Unexpected Pleasure (Moreland Family, #4) by Candace Camp

I believe this is the order, the first book was bloody creepy too... she almost always adds a little spook/suspense to all of her HR.

message 21: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

The Matchmakers series is probably my favorite

The Marriage Wager (The Matchmakers #1) by Candace Camp The Bridal Quest (The Matchmakers #2) by Candace Camp The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmakers #3) by Candace Camp The Courtship Dance (The Matchmakers #4) by Candace Camp

message 22: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited May 21, 2010 08:38AM) (new)

This was a sweet series as well..

So Wild A Heart (Aincourt's Hearts, #1) by Candace Camp The Hidden Heart (Aincourt's Hearts, #2) by Candace Camp Secrets Of The Heart (Aincourt's Hearts, #3) by Candace Camp

message 23: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

As well as....

A Stolen Heart (Montford Heirs, #1) by Candace Camp Promise Me Tomorrow (Montford Heirs, #2) by Candace Camp No Other Love (Montford Heirs, #3) by Candace Camp

message 24: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

As you can see, I am a huge Camp advocater... lol. That and I know I hate reading books out of order.. Hopefully this helps.

message 25: by Alycia (new)

Alycia It helps. I think I am going to start with the Matchmaker series.

message 26: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Good plan Alycia. Its a gooder... :)

message 27: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Sounds like it, and since you said that is what hooked you, I thought "I can't go wrong" :)

message 28: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) I think her best book was THE RAINBOW SEASON that she wrote as Lisa Gregory. It's Americana/Western.

message 29: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Awesome, Thx Seton. I haven't read that one yet.

message 30: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) Only bk of hers that I would rate an A.

I also liked Crystal Heart even with the rape and the conditional ending. Her earliest bks were interesting in a way that didnt need to have mystery in it like her latest ones.

message 31: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I just picked up A Gentleman Always Remembers (A Willowmere Sisters Series, #2) by Candace Camp

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) man I need to stop adding books to my TBR shelf lol

message 33: by Alycia (new)

Alycia LOL, that always happens to me.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) yeah its crazy

message 35: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

lol... mine grow's on a daily basis too..

message 37: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Wasn't a huge fan of A Gentleman Always Remembers (Willowmere, #2) by Candace Camp Which is sad, cause I adore Camp's style. Lately I have been finding alot of my old favorites, less than great. Is it me? Or does there seem to be a plague-esque bout of writers block, and/or lack of graceful story telling. It's probably just me.

message 38: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I'm guessing its just me... Lol..

message 39: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Found a book by her, that haven't read yet... AMAZING... in the bottom of a box of books... Gonna read it here pretty quick. Evensong by Candace Camp

message 40: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I still want to try Camp, I just gotten around to it.. I am following you around all your updates, Shell.

message 41: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Lol... Aww thx Alycia..