Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Genres~ What's Yer Flavour? > Contemporary Romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 185 (185 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
I, myself haven't read any... But this is the place to discuss, and recommend.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Not a fan I find it all a bit to depressing. I don't want to read about children being molested, having cancer, woman my age with breast cancer etc. I want to escape when I read.
I have read some I really like but overall I don't love contemporary.

With the exception of Erotica can't go wrong with a bit of shagging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Kelly wrote: "Not a fan I find it all a bit to depressing. I don't want to read about children being molested, having cancer, woman my age with breast cancer etc. I want to escape when I read.
I have read som..."

Lmao.. I hear ya. If I'm gonna get lost in a book, I want it to be of another time, and place. I think even Erotica, would have to be historical to hold my interest.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Well, aren't the Stephanie Plum novels contemporary? I'm still debating whether or not they're romance though. They definitely have a romantic flair, but they are pretty freakin' funny too!

message 5: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I hear the Stephanie Plum series is good.

I don't personally read a lot of contemporary romance. I think its too much like chick lit. I can only take so much of that every once in a while (which is not much). I am like you all, I like to loose myself in a world apart from reality. My favorite romance genres are paranormal and historical. The only contemporary I do read is erotica and even that is kind of a world within itself.

message 6: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments Contemporary isn't my favorite genre either, mainly because I have a hard time finding ones that have good emotional development between the H/H. The best contemps I've read so far:
Baby Love by Catherine Anderson
The Real Deal by Lucy Monroe
Fallen from Grace by Laura Leone

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Contemporary isn't my favorite genre either, mainly because I have a hard time finding ones that have good emotional development between the H/H. The best contemps I've read so far:
[book:Baby Love..."

I added Baby Love and Fallen from Grace to my TBR pile. I don't usually read contemporary but they look good and it is always good to change it up a bit. Thanks for the recommendations.

message 8: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Mar 06, 2010 07:30PM) (new)

I like Catherine Anderson's writing, I've read Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1) by Catherine Anderson and Comanche Heart (Comanche, #2) by Catherine Anderson and enjoyed both.

Eventhough neither of these are contemporary...

message 9: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments Kelly wrote: "I added Baby Love and Fallen from Grace to my TBR pile. I don't usually read contemporary but they look good and it is always good to change it up a bit. Thanks for the recommendations."

You're welcome, Kelly. I hope you enjoy them.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) What's chick lit? I haven't heard that term before. I can draw my own conclusions on the definition, but can you give me an example so I know for sure....I have a feeling I might have read A LOT of it...maybe not.

message 11: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick Wikipedia defines it as "Chick lit is genre fiction within women's fiction which addresses issues of modern women often humorously and lightheartedly" it is also a slang term referring to Woman's Literature.

This term was started in the late 80s, and it is said that the genre's creation started as inspiration from Jane Austen. "Clueless was based on the Jane Austen novel Emma with a focus to update the story into modern times.[8:] Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones's Diary series were also influenced by Jane Austen. The original Bridget Jones was inspired by Pride and Prejudice while Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason was inspired by Persuasion. Both of these tried to update Jane Austen's novels."

Recommend just Googling Chick Lit and I am sure there will be lists and lists of books from this genre.

(that concludes our lesson on the terminalogy of Chick Lit today) - hehehe :)

message 12: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) reading Dark Prince (Carpathians, #1) (2d Ed) by Christine Feehan so far it's really good. it is the first of her I've read/am reading, I think I'll stick with her.

message 13: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Just finished Talk Me Down (Tumble Creek, #1) by Victoria Dahl and recommend it.

message 14: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jacquelineo) I guess I will be the first to say that Contemporary Romance is my favorite genre. My favorite author is Jennifer Crusie. Her books are always a must read for me.

I just recently loved Lisa Kleypas's Travis series

message 15: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Jackie wrote: "I guess I will be the first to say that Contemporary Romance is my favorite genre. My favorite author is Jennifer Crusie. Her books are always a must read for me.

I just recently ..."

Jackie,
I have wanted to try Crusie. What would you recommend starting with?

message 16: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I would recommend Julie James for contemporary romance. Her books are Just the Sexiest Man Alive, Practice Makes Perfect, Something About You

message 17: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jacquelineo) Bet Me is my favorite book of her, but I would also recommend Agnes and the Hitman

message 18: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Jackie wrote: "Bet Me is my favorite book of her, but I would also recommend Agnes and the Hitman"

Thanks so much Jackie for the recs! I appreciate it.

message 19: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jacquelineo) No problem. I hope you like them as much as I did.

message 20: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments OMG... I love Nora Roberts and Catherine Anderson!! Both are very good suspense and just mushy romance writers.

message 21: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jacquelineo) ^ Yes, Nora is a guilty pleasure. I'm a not a big fan of her single mysteries, but I love her series

message 22: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments I like anything Nora. I haven't read her JD robb series, but there's only been like 2 books of hers that I was kinda anh or disliked, the rest are good.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I love Jennifer Crusie.
‘Agnes and the Hitman’ was awesome, ‘Bet Me’ was the first one I read of hers and it was great, and I also really liked ‘Welcome to Temptation’.

message 24: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Thanks Heather, I will mark WtT as well!

message 25: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments Alycia wrote: "I would recommend Julie James for contemporary romance. Her books are Just the Sexiest Man Alive, Practice Makes Perfect, [book:Something About You|82..."
I definetely second these suggestions. They are wonderful light reading - just for relaxation. I have just ordered her third book and can hardly wait for getting it delivered.

message 26: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Karin Elisabeth wrote: "Alycia wrote: "I would recommend Julie James for contemporary romance. Her books are Just the Sexiest Man Alive, Practice Makes Perfect, [book:Somethi..."

Something About You? That one was my favorite! I haven't read Practice Makes Perfect yet. I hope you enjoy it! :)

message 27: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments Alycia wrote: "Karin Elisabeth wrote: "Alycia wrote: "I would recommend Julie James for contemporary romance. Her books are Just the Sexiest Man Alive, [book:Practice Makes Perfect..."

I agree with you, Alycia - I think it was the best of the three. There was so much action and humour in it.

message 28: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I'm looking forward to her new novel, I don't think it has a release date yet though.

message 29: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments Alycia wrote: "I'm looking forward to her new novel, I don't think it has a release date yet though."

Well, it says "spring 20112" with the preview at the end of the last book.

message 30: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Karin Elisabeth wrote: "Alycia wrote: "I'm looking forward to her new novel, I don't think it has a release date yet though."

Well, it says "spring 20112" with the preview at the end of the last book."

Thanks, I had the ebook version, so I didn't bother looking.

message 31: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments Oh, my, I just saw that there was definitely one number too many - I don't think I could wait that long. It's next spring of course.

message 32: by Alycia (new)

Alycia LOL, it's ok. I assumed you meant 2011.

message 33: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments I have just finished "Instant Attraction" by Jill Shalvis. I would definitely label it as a contemporary romance with a very nice setting. I liked the characters just fine and I think I'm going to order the two other books of this series as well - which then rises the question: Where do I store all these books?

message 34: by Alycia (last edited Jun 12, 2010 10:33AM) (new)

Alycia LOL, I always have that problem. So now I mostly buy ebooks. Its amazing where you can cram books :)

message 35: by Lover of Romance (new)

Lover of Romance (loverofromance) | 14 comments Well I am pretty picky about Contemporary romance, but the one that I love and can't get enough of is Jennifer Crusie, her books are so happy and spirited, and full of good humor and really good love scenes, also another one I really have loved too is Jayne Ann Krentz, most of them I have done by audio, but I have found that most of her books are just engaging and really draw me in!!!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) what is Contemporary Romance? I'm new to romance books.

message 37: by Alycia (new)

Alycia ☪☠Lizz☠☪ wrote: "what is Contemporary Romance? I'm new to romance books."

I would say present day romance, but the definition really encompasses anything after WW2.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) Alycia wrote: "☪☠Lizz☠☪ wrote: "what is Contemporary Romance? I'm new to romance books."

I would say present day romance, but the definition really encompasses anything after WW2."

Thank you

message 39: by Alycia (new)

Alycia You're welcome.

message 40: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments i've just starting reading Rachel Gibson lately and she's quirky. I kinda like her books.

message 41: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Jesslynn wrote: "i've just starting reading Rachel Gibson lately and she's quirky. I kinda like her books."

I've read a couple of her writer friends books and liked them.

message 42: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments I just finished Sex, Lies, and Online Dating. It was pretty good. Predictable, but good.

message 43: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments I feel that Rachel Gibson is kind of hit and miss for me. This may be true to the fact that I read some of the books in German and I didn't like the style so much.
My favourite is "See Jane Score". I only liked the books about the rest of the hockey players.
To me it's like the series about the football players by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I loved "This Heart of Mine" from about page 100 onwards. One of the best scenes I have ever read is the part with the softball game. I actually found myself laughing out loud!

message 44: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments Karin Elisabeth wrote: "I feel that Rachel Gibson is kind of hit and miss for me. This may be true to the fact that I read some of the books in German and I didn't like the style so much.
My favourite is "See Jane Score"..."

I wouldn't classify her my fave of anything, but she is kinda funny.

message 45: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I would agree with you both. I have only read to books by Gibson.

message 46: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments Just One Of The Guys by Kristan Higgins
Has anyone tried Kristan Higgins? I really enjoyed this book, it's funny and sort of romantic but I know not everybody likes to read books written in the first person.
A problem I had with it and Higgins's other books: I think the end comes too fast - I would enjoy it more if there were a little bit more emotion.

message 47: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I haven't tried Higgins, I will give her a try.

message 48: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments Alycia wrote: "I haven't tried Higgins, I will give her a try."

Well, I certainly would like to hear what you think about her! I actually think this is the nicest of her books - so I keep wondering why I bought the rest of them too!

message 49: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Karin Elisabeth wrote: "Alycia wrote: "I haven't tried Higgins, I will give her a try."

Well, I certainly would like to hear what you think about her! I actually think this is the nicest of her books - so I keep wonder..."

I will let you know and mark the one you listed above :)

message 50: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 26 comments I would also like to recommend some books of Susan Andersen. I especially liked Be My Baby by Susan Andersen . I understand that it's completely irrational but it's ever so sweet and funny.
Susan Andersen has quite a lot of books out there and all that I have read have some things in common: they are funny, they are steamy and they are - well did I mention that they are funny? :)

« previous 1 3 4