Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Genres~ What's Yer Flavour? > Historical Romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 317 (317 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
What are some of your favorite HR?

message 2: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Rachael wrote: "Then came you is my fav so far ..Then Came You"

I haven't read this one yet... I love Kleypas though.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Rachael wrote: "Then came you is my fav so far ..Then Came You"

Yeah Rachel!!!!!!!!! You feel the love for Lil and Alex toooooooo..........

message 4: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I have to say, some of my fav so far is The Wallflower series by LK... I have to read Then Came You soon so I know what the deal is, lol

message 5: by Julianna (last edited Mar 06, 2010 06:29PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments Since this is my favorite genre, I could go on and on about my favorites. I love just about anything by Lisa Kleypas, Gaelen Foley, Elizabeth Hoyt, Lorraine Heath, Julie Garwood, Catherine Anderson, and Liz Carlyle

message 6: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I'm with you Julie, this is my first love in novels. I have tried different era's, haven't been able to get thru one yet. Something about getting lodt in different times, and places. I live in the present, ya know? I certainly don't want to read about it.

message 7: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments I agree with Shell & Julie... HR is definitely my first love!

message 8: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) I like the older stuff like Devils Desire (read at least every other year) Wolf and the Dove are my top two favorites. I love Alex and Alysia love hate relationship in Devils Desire, same with Wolf and the Dove.

message 9: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Devil's Desire by Woodiwiss too?

message 10: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) oh no, Devils Desire is by Laurie McBain, funny it's the only book by her I like, the others are all right but Devild Desire holds a special spot in my heart. Some don't like it due to too much detail and set up but I love it.

message 11: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Oh, K. Sometimes I like the older stuff too, sometimes it seems too much.

message 12: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Lately I have found, I've been leaning more 2wards the Historical Fiction, with STRONG romantic elements. Find the storylines more real, and fulfilling. Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn was a FANTASTIC read... I am on the look out for more like that.

message 13: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I have that one and plan on reading it this month to include it in a challenge.

For HR I just read/devoured and liked What the Duke Desires (Billingham Bastards, #1) by Jenna Petersen . I started book two today, The Unclaimed Duchess (Billingham Bastards, #2)  by Jenna Petersen

message 14: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Nice Alycia.. I've never heard of her, love it when I find a new author.

message 15: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Shell wrote: "Nice Alycia.. I've never heard of her, love it when I find a new author."

I quite like her. And I like her historical erotica under her pen name Jess Michaels. Its pretty tame/not wild but still entertaining erotica.

message 16: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Ahhh, Yes. I have seen her books around GR, The Jess Michaels ones.

message 17: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Shell wrote: "Ahhh, Yes. I have seen her books around GR, The Jess Michaels ones."

I haven't read them all but did like what I read. I do enjoy what I have read of her hr so far.

message 18: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Cool, well I'm gonna add her too.. I'm gonna end up with more books than I can read in my lifetime.. lol.

message 19: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Shell wrote: "Cool, well I'm gonna add her too.. I'm gonna end up with more books than I can read in my lifetime.. lol."

I already feel that way. I'll never get through them all

message 20: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Oh well.. Its the effort that counts.. Right?

message 21: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Shell wrote: "Oh well.. Its the effort that counts.. Right?"

Yes, exactly.

message 22: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I'm new to the HR genre. It was Judith McNaught's books that made me fall in love with this genre. I love all her books and only wished she didn't change to contemporary. Since finding her, I haven't found any regency romance books that even compare.

Other books that I really enjoyed are:
One Dance with a Duke& Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake

message 23: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Kay wrote: "I'm new to the HR genre. It was Judith McNaught's books that made me fall in love with this genre. I love all her books and only wished she didn't change to contemporary. Since findin..."

Welcome the the Historical Junkie World... LOVE Mz McNaught.. And think the majority of us agree with you.. COME BACK TO HISTORICAL.. Please??

Hopefully, One day, she will.

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Kay wrote: "I'm new to the HR genre. It was Judith McNaught's books that made me fall in love with this genre. I love all her books and only wished she didn't change to contemporary. Since findin..."

Have you tried any Lisa Kleypas? She is really good. My favorite is Then Came You

Some other fav HR
Then Came You (Gamblers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas
My Darling Caroline by Adele Ashworth The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1) by Jennifer Ashley The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees, #1) by Julie Garwood

message 25: by Kay (last edited Sep 07, 2010 10:59AM) (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I actually just recently finished book 1 & 2 of The Hathaways by Lisa Kleypas. Now, I'm realizing that maybe I should go back and read the Wallflowers. I will add Then Came You to my list.

I did enjoy Julie Garwood's The Bride. Lord MacKenzie was just ok for me.

message 26: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Really? I adored Lord Ian... So different, I think that was the apeal. I too read the Wallflower series, after the Hathaways, it didnt make it any less for me. I have loved every Kleypas book written.. Another great one is Julia Quinn.. (One of my fave's) way less Angst, more humor and light hearted. Great Dialogue.

Outlander and The Bronze Horseman are both fantastic books.. More Epic.. Both first in series.

message 27: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I read The Duke And I, Bridgertons #1 by Julia Quinn and I really enjoyed that. I've been wanting to start the Outlander Series but the size of each novel is intimidating. LOL I hope to get to it eventually.

message 28: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Oh the wallflowers are great! Loved Once Dance with a Duke and 9 rules. Can't wait for MacLean's next book!

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Kay wrote: "I read The Duke And I, Bridgertons #1 by Julia Quinn and I really enjoyed that. I've been wanting to start the Outlander Series but the size of each novel is intimidating. LOL I hope to get to it e..."

Love Outlander!

I also would suggest The Bronze Horseman
The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons

message 30: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Wow, these epic books are really long novels, huh? If I have to choose which book to start first, should it be Outlander or The Bronze Horseman?

message 31: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Alycia wrote: "Oh the wallflowers are great! Loved Once Dance with a Duke and 9 rules. Can't wait for MacLean's next book!"

I really like MacLean too. The next book will be out in October. Can't wait.

message 32: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 143 comments Kay wrote: "Wow, these epic books are really long novels, huh? If I have to choose which book to start first, should it be Outlander or The Bronze Horseman?"

I'd read Bronze Horsemen first. Because

1. there's only 3 books in the series & there are 7 Outlander books to date

2. Once you read Outlander, everything else will fade in comparison

3. You will become so obsessed with the Outlander series just like most of us

I have not read the Bronze Horseman series myself but they are on my bookshelf awaiting. :-)

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Wan wrote: "Kay wrote: "Wow, these epic books are really long novels, huh? If I have to choose which book to start first, should it be Outlander or The Bronze Horseman?"

I'd read Bronze Horsemen first. Bec..."

I read Outlander first. The are so different but equally amazing.

Jamie use to be my #1 but Alexander TBH has stolen my heart completely.

message 34: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I would agree with Wan and Kelly both are completely different stories, both with the ability of gripping you, and not letting go. However, Wan is correct, Outlander has this ability to make you become SO obsessed, no other book interests you... As much.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Question for those of you who have read The Bronze Horseman. I'm having a WTF! moment right now. Why did we not get any insight into Tatiana and Alexander's wedding? One moment they are making love and mooning over each other and then the next page Alexander has left and there is hints that they are married. I mean, come on....after waiting so long for them to finally be together, we don't get to see them married? Not happy about that.

message 36: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to see which one I can get my hands on first!

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Jessa ♥§♥metalgirl80♥§♥ wrote: "Question for those of you who have read The Bronze Horseman. I'm having a WTF! moment right now. Why did we not get any insight into Tatiana and Alexander's wedding? One moment they are making l..."

It's been a while and I have only read the book 1x although certain passages I've read over and over.
I recall it was not made into a big deal. It was during war and she wore the dress. They both had no family so other than it being the two of them I don't think a big deal could have been made.
The seemed to celebrate quite a bit after!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 38: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

You must be missing a page, there is alot on the wedding. Not so much the ceremony, but the feelings involved, her dress, the couple who stood as witness, and made there rings, the priest, the little church they were married in.. It was all there.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Shell wrote: "You must be missing a page, there is alot on the wedding. Not so much the ceremony, but the feelings involved, her dress, the couple who stood as witness, and made there rings, the priest, the litt..."

Well, crap. I bought the book through Barnes and Nobles Nook. I wonder why its not in there. Weird.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Oh, great. I just read some user reviews on B&N and apparently its happening with everyone that downloads the ebook. That ticks me off. There is over 100 pages missing. I think they should refund my money. :(

message 41: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Jessa ♥§♥metalgirl80♥§♥ wrote: "Oh, great. I just read some user reviews on B&N and apparently its happening with everyone that downloads the ebook. That ticks me off. There is over 100 pages missing. I think they should refu..."

Wow, that sucks. I guess I won't buy this book through B&N for my NOOK. Thanks for the heads up!

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Yeah, Kay. Don't waste your money. I'm pretty ticked about it. *sigh*

message 43: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I would demand my money back.. That some pertinent Tatiana and Alexander moments your missing..

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) I tried. They said they couldn't give refunds to any ebook purchases. Grrr.

message 45: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Jessa ♥§♥metalgirl80♥§♥ wrote: "I tried. They said they couldn't give refunds to any ebook purchases. Grrr."

That is ridiculous! Amazon refunds ebook purchases if the claim is made within 7 days of purchase -- maybe tell that to B&N. But if the pages were missing -- they have to legally refund you. They didn't give to you the product that was advertised.

message 46: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Kay wrote: "I actually just recently finished book 1 & 2 of The Hathaways by Lisa Kleypas. Now, I'm realizing that maybe I should go back and read the Wallflowers. I will add Then Came You to my list.

I did e..."

Funny, I just listened to the first 3 on audio, but haven't read the Wallflowers yet -- that is on my list for this month. I didn't feel lost and just felt like I would get to know the neighbors better when I read the Wallflowers series. But wow -- Merripen -- a serious yum!

message 47: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

All Lisa Kleypas are fantastic..

message 48: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Bourdon (daniellebourdon) | 1 comments New to the group here, but not new to the HR genre. Picking out a few favs is tough!

I really enjoyed Virgin Star by Jennifer Horsman. It's an older book, but I'm picky about my heros and this one was great.

Kat Martin's Savannah Heat was also pretty good.

message 49: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Just checked out Virgin Star by Jennifer Horsman , definatly looks like a gooder.

message 50: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Not sure if I mentioned this earlier or not but have you guys read Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean ?? This one was really good!! I've added it to one of my favorites now!!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7