European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Through a Glass Darkly: Part 1: Ch. 9 - 19

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (last edited Mar 04, 2010 06:11PM) (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Part I: Beginnings, England and France, 1715 - 1716, Chapters 9 through 19 here.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Wow, crazy stuff happening in this part! I kept wondering about Roger's feelings for Richard. Kind of creepy that he married Richard's granddaughter. I suppose the age difference isn't that much and she does love him - I just can't imagine marrying one of my past, unreciprocated crush's grandkids! I don't have a past crush that I'm pining away for though - maybe if I did I'd feel differently!

I definitely wasn't expecting all the kids to die, or for Roger to be so emotionally and physically attached to Philippe. What a crazy love triangle this is turning out to be! It's refreshing to read something that's pretty unpredictable (at least it has been pretty unpredictable to me).

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Koen drops lots of hints about Richard and Roger through out this and NFTF, but I do sooooo hope she one day writes that part of the story. You'll understand what I mean when you get farther along.

As for the kids, wah! Barbara goes through quite a lot.

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments NFTF = sequel? I never heard of this book before it was nominated (so no idea if more is out there), but it seems like a lot of others had, so forgive my ignorance!

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Sara W wrote: "NFTF = sequel? I never heard of this book before it was nominated (so no idea if more is out there), but it seems like a lot of others had, so forgive my ignorance!"

I'm sorry that was darned presumptious of me to assume you knew. There is one book that follows this, Now Face to Face: A Novel and a prequel Dark Angels: A Novel. I recommend reading the prequel last, as it's more fun to read Richard and Alice's story after you come to know and love grandmama.

That said, there is definitely more of Richard's story between the end of DA and the beginning of TAGD and I want more!

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Excellent! I'm glad to be able to read more with these characters.