European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Through a Glass Darkly: Part 2: Ch. 20 - 29

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (last edited Mar 04, 2010 06:12PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Part II: Endings, England 1720 - 1721, Chapters 20 through 29 here.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Well, I'm really glad Now Face to Face is available on the Kindle, because I only have about 40 pages left and that's not nearly enough pages to resolve everything! It's charging so I can jump right in if I'm left hanging.

I really like Tony. I hope Barbara can find some way to love him.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments I am not telling you a thing. Nothing.

message 4: by Sara W (last edited Mar 19, 2010 07:27PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments :)

Finished! Knowing there is a sequel, I liked the ending (although without a sequel it does leave a lot open to the imagination). I can't believe it took so long for a sequel to come out (something like 10 years?). I'm glad I was introduced to this book late! I don't think I could have waited that long!

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 58 comments At first I was put off by the jump in time after Part I, but then I decided it liked it that way. I felt sorry for Tony and Charles. I felt sorry for all of them, really, even Philippe and Diana. I cried my way through the last 100 pages. Then I read the sequel!

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Ack, I hated Phillipe. Loathed him.

What really surprised me was the second read on these two. I was of the same opinions on TAGD but I ended up giving Now Face to Face three stars instead of five. That said, there is still a whole lot more of the story to tell and I want to know. Especially what brought about Richard's condition in the end.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 58 comments I really liked the sequel and I give it four stars. I haven't written my review yet. Two things kept it from being five star for me: a storyline from Virginia that I thought was going somewhere but faded away and I was not satisfied with the ending. But it's going on my Keeper Shelf with TAGD. I've got Dark Angels to read, too.

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments I agree about the parts in Virginia, and I had actually liked them the first time around. As for Tony - wah!

message 9: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco | 30 comments I am somewhat disappointed with the ending of TAGD. I want closure with Grandmama, Tony, Thereshe, and of course, Barbara. I have NFTF but I think I am going to give these people a rest. I am planning to read THE GREATEST KNIGHT and THE SCARLET LION by Elizabeth Chadwick.

message 10: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I'm into NFTF, and I'm thinking I maybe should have waited. Some things I'm not terribly happy about, and I think the story I was continuing in my head was happier! It's certainly not bad - I just imagined things differently.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 58 comments I enjoyed NFTF, and I read it right after TAGD, but I didn't have any set expectations of what was going to happen. How far along are you? Barbara definitely still has some struggles ahead of her, but I was pleased with the outcome.

message 12: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments It's not really that I had expectations of what the author would do, but that I had ideas of things I would like to happen (or not happen as the case may be) with these characters, which I'll admit probably aren't what the author would write. :) The book fits well with TAGD, and it's pretty enjoyable. I think I'm just getting a little tired of Barbara, so it may have been better for me to wait (the descriptions of her being so beautiful yet so witty/strong are starting to grate on me, which really isn't the book's fault - it's the same as in TAGD which didn't bother me while reading that).

I think I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 58 comments I noticed the repetitive descriptions of her beauty, too, but then I thought, well, what the heck, she is known as a great beauty, so I guess everyone would comment on it, and I just enjoyed her character so much that I didn't mind.