Outlander (Outlander, #1) Outlander discussion

Outlander series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Tammy the first two books were great (the first amazing) but the latter ones not much good.

Boo Boo Kitty Karen wrote: "Tammy the first two books were great (the first amazing) but the latter ones not much good."

I loved them all. Granted some parts were less desirable but I enjoyed them.

Sarah I am having a hard time through the second book which is making wonder if I should really go on. It has lost my attention, which surprised me, considering I flew through the first book.

Any thoughts?

Shannon @Sarah--the second book was tough for me, too. But I slogged through it. Very glad I did--the rest of the series was worth the effort.

On subsequent readings, the second book wasn't nearly as bad as I had remembered.

Shana I'm halfway through the second book and just keep finding other books that are more interesting, so it keeps getting set aside. I have bought the whole series, but just can't seem to slog through.....

message 6: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee for me the second book was hard because i'm not a fan of the flash-back story telling technique...however, its important to the rest of the series...and after reading the series multiple times, it has become a fav of mine

Tina I am almost finished the second book, and I agree with Shannon, it is tough getting through it. There are parts that I like and can't put the book down, then there are parts that seem to drag on. I love the characters though, just wish it was shorter, not sooo much detail, that really doesn't seem that important to the story.

message 8: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee the thing with DG (that's you'll learn) is what might seem to be an inconsequential detail in one book will come back and play a role in a later on

Elayne I must admit, even though I loved the characters, I got a bit bored and wanted the story to move on a bit quicker, wanted to dash to the end and see what would happen, more so with the later books. As I understood it, the series started off as a trilogy and got bigger.

Shawn Shana wrote: "I'm halfway through the second book and just keep finding other books that are more interesting, so it keeps getting set aside. I have bought the whole series, but just can't seem to slog through...."

Shana - I will admit that I skimmed the second book but still love the rest of the series. Don't give up yet. The friend who rec'd the series to me warned me that book 2 was hard to read. The others are far better. Hang in there, it's worth it!

message 11: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Voyager in my opinion is the best of the first three in the series. So easy to read..not so much easy, but that you never want to put it down. Lots more action and better story line.

message 12: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby Fick I had no trouble until "An Echo in the Bone" - that one seemed like nothing happend at all until the very end when SO MUCH happened.

message 13: by Maja (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maja I started reading The Fiery Cross and got a bit stuck... I am taking a break from the series for a bit reading some other stuff and will be back later to push through it... I do want to finish it.

message 14: by Thom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thom Swennes I first picked up the series because of its bulk (I love voluminous books). It took me a few months to actually pick it up and start to read. But once the preamble and into the past I was hooked. I read the entire series in sequence and (except for a wedding day that never seemed to end ) I was completely enthralled with Jamie and Claire. It is a love story of epic proportions and an inspiration for anyone.

message 15: by Roxy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roxy I just finished the first book a few weeks ago and loved it!
I'm taking a small pause before jumping into Dragonfly.

message 16: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Thom wrote: "I first picked up the series because of its bulk (I love voluminous books). It took me a few months to actually pick it up and start to read. But once the preamble and into the past I was hooked. I..."

Thom, if you liked the Outlander series because of the epic love story, you should try reading The Bronze Horseman trilogy, by Paullina Simons (if you haven't yet)it is (in my opinion) better than Outlander, but not by much. It is a beautiful love story. And talk about volunious books...all three are!!

Hannah I loved the second one in DG series. I picked it up and couldnt put it down so much so that I actually brought it to work with me to read a few more pages. Dragonfly is my fave closely followed by voyager.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed the first 2, but thought the rest were tedious. I remember being irritated when I got to page 100 of one, can't remember which one, and nothing of interest had happened.

message 19: by Caro (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caro Sarah wrote: "I am having a hard time through the second book which is making wonder if I should really go on. It has lost my attention, which surprised me, considering I flew through the first book.

Any tho..."

Sarah wrote: "I am having a hard time through the second book which is making wonder if I should really go on. It has lost my attention, which surprised me, considering I flew through the first book.

Any tho..."

Sarah,
It also happened to me during the first chapters, it was like I couldn't get interested in the story and I almost quit, but then the story gets really exciting and it's so worth reading!

message 20: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee @ Aislynn - in Outlander his finger was smashed and claire fixed it - in Echo in the Bone, she actually removed it

message 21: by Thom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thom Swennes I took Tina’s advice and bought The Bronze Horseman trilogy. I am now halfway through the third book and can say to compare the two series is like comparing apples with oranges. Granted they are both fruit but one would never be mistaken for the other. I have enjoyed Paullina Simons’ trilogy but on its own merits and not as an alternative Outlander. The fruit of both stories is the love between their two main characters. If you like undying love and unending love making, The Bronze Horseman trilogy is a must for your library. The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons Tatiana and Alexander by Paullina Simons The Summer Garden (Tatiana and Alexander, #3) by Paullina Simons

message 22: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee I've never read the companion, but maybe that's why...I just remember a line from Echo about how it had been bugging him for 30 odd years and it was time for it to go, or something along those lines

message 23: by Thom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thom Swennes It wasn’t any longer than her search for and use of various instruments to inject her medicines into her patients.

Susannah Sarah wrote: "I am having a hard time through the second book which is making wonder if I should really go on. It has lost my attention, which surprised me, considering I flew through the first book.

Any tho..."

Sarah, keep reading. Voyager (third book) is my favorite of all, except the 1st one of course... :) WORTH it!!

Melissa I read the first book and loved it! I am now reading Dragon Fly. I am about a third of the way through it. I love it, but so far I think the first one is better. Even though these books are so long, I don't want them to end!

message 26: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby Fick Aislynn wrote: "After reading An Echo in the Bone, I hope she writes another one. The book stops before the story ends.

I really don't care for cliffhanger endings. :("

Normally cliffhangers don't bother me too much, but considering it takes years for Gabaldon to publish a book . . . that's just cruel.

message 27: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee the next book is due out in late 2012/early 2013 (IIRC) - but the book 8 cliff-hanger was nowhere near as bad as the Dragonfly in Amber/Voyager one - I remember my mom stuck with that one

Lauren I loved the first one but could not get through the second. Is is worth another try? Just could not stomach the Parisian society.

message 29: by Thom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thom Swennes It is worth picking up, dusting off and reading. Any doubts should be removed by the many Goodreads reviews.

message 30: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee I disliked the second one on first reading, its only been through the years when i've re-read, that I realized how good it was and critical to understanding what happened between the end of outlander when they are in france and her going back through the stones

Marietta Abby wrote: "Aislynn wrote: "After reading An Echo in the Bone, I hope she writes another one. The book stops before the story ends.

Normally cliffhangers don..."

I'm so lucky that I didn't discover these books until they had all been written up to A Breath of Snow and Ashes---I had to wait a year for that one. I thought I would die. I read them all one summer in a month and you know they are about 800 pages each.

Susan I have listened to the whole series on audiobook, narrated by the incomparable Davina Porter. I don't think I could have gotten through all the long discriptive passages without the audiobook.

Susan Marietta wrote: "Abby wrote: "Aislynn wrote: "After reading An Echo in the Bone, I hope she writes another one. The book stops before the story ends.

Normally cli..."

The last few chapters in AEITB seemed very rushed and undeveloped, It was as if she was afraid she was going to miss her deadline.

Melodi Scott I love these books!

Heathermomo I loved the first books in the series, Fiery Cross started to get a bit meh, but the only one in the series I truly regret reading was no 7 An Echo in the Bone. Calling the end of the book a cliffhanger is a joke. It read to me like she had got up from her computer to answer the phone and never came back. I actually flipped on a few pages looking for the rest! I truly believe she forgot about the wee boy on the train...
If I was recommending the series I would tell the reader to stop after Voyager.

Susan Heathermomo wrote: "I loved the first books in the series, Fiery Cross started to get a bit meh, but the only one in the series I truly regret reading was no 7 An Echo in the Bone. Calling the end of the book a cliffh..."

:+D

Boo Boo Kitty Sarah wrote: "I am having a hard time through the second book which is making wonder if I should really go on. It has lost my attention, which surprised me, considering I flew through the first book.

Any tho..."

At times the books have moments were I skimmed tho but still the books are great. The 3 rd book is a fav of mine. I finished it in 2 days. Couldnt put it down. I think u should keep on truckin thro. The 2 nd wasnt a fav

Rebecca I had difficulty getting through the first book. Didn't interest me in the slightest and found it a difficult read.

Leslie I'm reading all these comments and wondering how anyone had a difficult time reading book 2. Granted, it was a more serious read and yes, political, but once I fell in love with Jamie, it was a no-brainer for me to keep going! I've read all 7 books and am anxious to read the final book (8), due out sometime in 2012 or possibly, 2013. I find myself continuously searching for another book series although, have not found anything that can remotely touch Gabaldon's exquisite writing. (Yes, I prefer a read with less politics and details, that's for sure. Additionally, this series is a major commitment and these books are not "easy reads.") That being said, those of you who are having a hard time getting through book 2, hang in there, Jamie and Claire are so worth it!! :)

message 40: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i wasn't a fan of book 2 the first time i read it, but over multiple readings it became my favorite - because there is so much going on

Leslie Yes, there IS sooo much going on in the second book...really in ALL the books. Book 2 started off with me thinking to myself, "who the heck is Roger Wakefield and why are we NOT talking about Jamie and Claire right now?" HA! I do have my favorites in the series, and yes, my #1 pick IS Outlander, however, I loved Voyager and Echo in the Bone as well! All the books have their own endearing qualities for me, espcially when Jamie talks sweetly to Claire. I find myself going back to his words a lot!! (Swoon!!)

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 11, 2011 10:38AM) (new)

Leslie wrote: "I find myself continuously searching for another book series although, have not found anything that can remotely touch Gabaldon's exquisite writing."

Leslie, it's not a series but have you tried The Winter Sea?

Now, this is a series ... just read and loved the first book ... somewhat reminded me of Gabaldon ... Into the Wilderness is the first book.

message 43: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa Wadsworth Rebecca L. wrote: "I had difficulty getting through the first book. Didn't interest me in the slightest and found it a difficult read."

I have to agree with you...I ended up putting it down and not finishing it.

Leslie Thank you, Shannon! I will check out your suggestions!

message 45: by Jed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jed Loved all of the books, but my favourites have to be Outlander (Cross Stitch where I come from), because of the growing love between Jamie and Claire and Voyager, because I just couldn't wait for Claire to find Jamie again. Can't wait for the next one so I'm rereading the whole series again. My advice to anyone struggling to read ......keep going, it'll be worth it!

Heathermomo To those looking for suggestions for similar series, I found the The Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean M. Auel very similar. Historical (though not remotely the same period) and a love story carried over several books. Both heroines are knowledgeable about herbs and healing and you can tell they both used similar (American Indian?) research with both referring to the council of women.
I enjoyed both anyway.

Leslie Ladies, I'm currently reading a book series called, "Into The Wilderness," by Sara Donati. It's just as well written and I am loving the series so far! (Gotta find something good to read until Gabaldon's 8th comes out!!)

Donna Sarah wrote: "I am having a hard time through the second book which is making wonder if I should really go on. It has lost my attention, which surprised me, considering I flew through the first book.

Any tho..."

Continue .. the 2nd book was hard for me as well .. it actual was my least favorite. I hate know the ending at the beginning.

Donna Elayne wrote: "I must admit, even though I loved the characters, I got a bit bored and wanted the story to move on a bit quicker, wanted to dash to the end and see what would happen, more so with the later books...."

But Elayne you know how the books ends just by how it started.

Carol Bro Leslie & Shannon: Yes, Into the Wilderness is a very similar series to Outlander (altho' not involving time travel). The author, Sara Donati (Rosina Lippi), was in the same online writing group as Diana Gabaldon and they critiqued each other's excerpts. Donati even inserts a little homage to Jamie and Claire in one of her books. I believe there are six in the series. I thoroughly enjoyed the series, although Outlander is still my favorite. Since it's such a long wait for the final Outlander book, you might want to check this out.

« previous 1 3