Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Katie's 50 Books for 2010

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments I started the 1st of the year, but only now joining...

15. Norse Code - Greg van Eckhout - 292 pages

Very strange book. I guess I should have learned more Norse mythology.

15. Norse Code - Greg van Eckhout - 292 pages
14. Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl - 563 pages
13. Night Probe! - Clive Cussler - 345 pages
12. Blood Magic - Eileen Wilks - 353 pages
11. Fortune's Folly - Deva Fagan - 257 pages
10. Unknown - Rachel Caine - 305 pages
9. Three Days to Dead - Kelly Meding - 405 pages
8. The Blind Side - Michael Lewis - 339 pages
7. Ice - Sarah Beth Burst - 308 pages
6. Raise the Titanic! - Clive Cussler - 373 pages
5. Impact - Douglas Preston - 364 pages
4. Altar of Eden - James Rollins - 393 pages
3. Contagious - Scott Sigler - 436 pages
2. Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron - Jasper Fforde - 388 pages
1. 5 Greatest Warriors - Matthew Reilly - 374 pages

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 16. The Andromeda Strain - Michael Crichton - 360 pages

The Andromeda Strain is old school Sci Fi. Well written and gripping, the story holds up 40 years later. The only problem with the books is the ending. It was completely unsatisfying for such a good book.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 17, Abraham Lincoln - Seth Grahame-Smith - 336 pages

After all is said and done, I liked Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. It was a touching look at the life of Lincoln, but not at all what I expected. I guess I thought it would be scarier and have more of a horror element. Sure there were vampires, but there wasn’t much frightening about the story.

Basically, I think Grahame-Smith wanted to write a book about Abraham Lincoln – a great subject – but couldn’t find angle, at least not a non-fictional one that would make his book standout and be published. To solve the problem, he decided to take a fictional bend. Truthfully, Lincoln could have been fighting zombies or werewolves or aliens. The monster nemesis just needed to exist, but its form could have been anything.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 18. The Dragon Factory - Jonathan Maberry - 486 pages

The Dragon Factory is the follow-up novel to last year's Patient Zero. Hard to believe the Maberry could find a way to top the premise of zombie terrorists being let loose on the US, but I have to say he did. This time, Joe Ledger has to stop the Extinction Wave - the release of pathogens which will kill anyone not deemed part of Hitler's Master Race. The story had a ton of twists and turns which made it a gripping read.

The only problem I kept catching the editing errors. Damn, is that distracting! They probably should have given this book another pass. If I am finding them, as the world's worst proof reader, they are pretty blatant.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 19. The Body Finder - Kimberly Derting - 327 pages

The Body Finder was a good book. The love story was very sweet and the mystery kept my interest. The problem was that that last 40 pages just kind of feel apart for me. The end of the book was the difference between a good book and a great book.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 20. Defiance: Tales of the U.S. Civil War - Laura Anne Gilman, Joely Sue Burkhart, Angela Korra'ti - 129 pages

Defiance is a collection of 3 stories of the supernatural set during the Civil War. I really enjoyed both stories from Laura Anne Gilman and Joely Sue Burkhart. I didn't like the Angela Korra'ti's story as much, but it wasn't bad.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 21. Bad to the Bone - Jeri Smith-Ready - 356 pages

I really wanted to love Bad to the Bone, but I didn't. The book was just ho-hum to me. It had an interesting plot, but I wasn't hooked by it.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 22. Soulless - Gail Carriger - 357 pages

Soulless is my first venture into the genre of steampunk. I'm not a huge fan of the Victorian era, even with the steampunk twist, but it was an interesting journey due to Alexia Tarabotti. She is quite the character and really made the whole book. It wasn't love, but I enjoyed it enough to pick up the next adventure of Ms. Tarabotti.

23. Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs - 342 pages

Mercy is back!!! Rock on! Silver Borne is a great edition to the Mercy series. I loved the twists and turns of the plot. Plus the book had emotional resolutions for several of the characters that made it even more satisfying to read. Can't wait for the next Mercy installment!

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 24. Hell Fire - Ann Aguirre - 315 pages

I wish I liked Hell Fire more than I did. Some of it isn't Hell Fire's fault. When I started it, I was feeling lousy and it colored my feelings. BUT some of the problem is with the book itself. The characters just didn't speak to me. I couldn’t understand Corine. Unlike Aguirre's other heroine, Jax, Corine is selfish and off-putting. I have to say the book, and my health, improved as time went by. In the end, I enjoyed Hell Fire, but not as much as I might have...

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 25. Silent Sea - Clive Cussler with Jack Du Brul - 404 pages

Loved Silent Sea from beginning to end. Great action. Great plot. I just wish someone could tempt Du Brul to write a Philip Mercer book again.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 26. Pulse - Jeremy Robinson - 387 pages

When I first started Pulse, I didn't think I was going to enjoy the book as much as I did. But the ride was wild. The only failing of the book is the characterization. I kept getting two of the characters confused, but when the characters are shootin' 'em up, it doesn't matter if they are a Gemini who enjoys playing Frisbee and long walks in the woods. I wish I had the next book in the series sitting on the pile waiting to be read, but no such luck.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 27. Legend - David Lynn Golemon - 490 pages

Although I enjoyed Legend, the book was deeply flawed. First, the book was poorly edited. There were blatant errors in text which were not caught in the editing process. Second, the book needed to be trimmed. It took over 100 pages to set up the story. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a better way to setup the later action. Having said this, I liked the book, but I don't see myself reading more of the Event Group books.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 28. Instinct – Jeremy Robinson – 354 pages

Instinct is the second adventure of the elite military unit known as the Chess Team. Once again the team faces the impossible and must fight to survive. The only problem was that this time Robinson seemed to get mired by the details of the fantastic world he created and the narrative lost impact.

29. The Patriot Witch – C.C. Finlay – 327 pages

I don’t recall how I ended up with two copies of this book, but I guess I really wanted to read it. The Patriot Witch was okay, but it just didn’t feel like a whole book. It just needed something more. Maybe that more is in the next book, but I don’t see myself bothering to find out.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 30. Feed – Mira Grant – 571 pages

Feed makes me wish that I had a rating system with more than 5 stars. This book was just amazing. I was hooked from the first page and didn’t even notice that the book was a whooping 570+ pages. The premise had the ability to frighten while breaking your heart and I loved it the whole time I was reading.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 31. Shade - Jeri Smith-Ready - 309 pages

Shade's premise was an interesting one. Everyone born after a specific day can see ghost and there seem to be more ghosts than ever before. To set the whole book in motion, the main character's boyfriend dies from a drug overdose and becomes a ghost. I had a hard time being sympathetic to the boyfriend and his overdose, but as the story progressed, I did find myself softening and enjoying the book.

32. Unfolding the Shadows - Katie O'Sullivan - 201 pages

Unfolding the Shadows was a good read. Nothing too exciting, but a good enough read too keep me engrossed.

message 16: by Katie (last edited May 23, 2010 12:42PM) (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7) by Clive Cussler
33. Deep Six - Clive Cussler - 544 pages

Let me start by saying that I liked Deep Six, but it was the most preposterous story ever. Most action/adventure stories ask for you to suspend your disbelief, but this one was beyond. The whole book centered on a plot by a Korean family and the Soviet government to kidnap the President of the United States and brainwash him to favor pro-Soviet policy. During the kidnapping the Vice President, Speaker of the House and President of the Senate are also captured. With the first four men in the line of succession missing, a massive cover up was undertaken to keep world from finding out the US's security failure and to recover the missing leadership.

I spent a lot of time going "yay right" while reading, but I still liked the book. I just wish it would have been more believable.

message 17: by Katie (last edited May 29, 2010 07:30PM) (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 34. Fever Dream - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - 405 pages

Latest in the Pendergast series, but not the best. Fever Dream started strong, but lost its way and just never found it again. The ending was hinted to have these huge ramifications for Pendergast, but if they were there, I missed them. If this book were from any other authors, it would be a good read, but from Preston and Child this book was disappointing.

35. Magic Bleeds - Ilona Andrews - 349 pages

Magic Bleeds was a great read. Kate once again kicked and took names. This book brought big changes to Kate's life including those to her relationship with Curran and her career. Can't wait to see what happens next!

36. Kiss of Death - Rachel Caine - 241 pages

Kiss of Death wasn't the book I expected. It had the road trip advertised on the cover, but the destination was unexpected and left me a scratching my head. I think the story would have been better if the trip had a different destination.

message 18: by Katie (last edited Jun 13, 2010 01:25PM) (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 37. Highway to Hell - Rosemary Clement-Moore - 357 pages

Highway to Hell by Rosemary Clement-Moore

It's amazing how we can speak the same language, but how we organize the words differs so much. The story of Highway to Hell was good, but the writing style kept throwing me off. I had to keep re-read parts to get the crux of the sentence. It was a very frustrating read.

38. Intercept - Patrick Robinson - 334 pages

Intercept by Patrick Robinson

Typical thriller. This time Mack Beckford was sent to hunt down terrorists intent on harming the US. I almost gave up on this book in the first couple of chapters since Robinson was off on the tear about the evils of a liberal administration, but once he got into the heart of the tale, the book was much better.

39. Blood, Smoke and Mirrors - Robyn Bachar - 205 pages

Blood, Smoke and Mirrors by Robyn Bachar

Tale of two halves going on with this book. I really enjoyed the first half of the book. Cat was a great feisty heroine who was kicking ass and taking names. But the second half of the book had a weak willed, push-over Cat. I didn't like this Cat and it took away some of my enjoyment of the book.

40. Never Cry Wolf - Farley Mowat - 246 pages

Never Cry Wolf Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves by Farley Mowat

Nice short enjoyable read about a man studying wolves in the Canadian Arctic. There is some doubt as to truth of the tale, but that didn't make the book any less enjoyable.

message 19: by Katie (last edited Jun 20, 2010 09:03AM) (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 41. The Marks of Cain - Tom Knox - 438 pages

The Marks of Cain by Tom Knox

The Marks of Cain's story ended up being really convoluted. Added to this was its graphic violence. All of it totaled up to a book that was very off putting and not very enjoyable, but that I finished just to see where it would end up.

42. Frenzy - Robert Liparulo - 326 pages

Frenzy (Dreamhouse Kings, #6) by Robert Liparulo

Last of the Dreamhouse Kings series for now. It was great to have everything pulled together in the last book into a nice conclusion.

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments I started by 45th today and am on track for 90 books this year. WOW!

43. The Mage In Black - Jaye Wells - 326 pages

The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2) by Jaye Wells

Second in the Sabina Kane series and a far superior than the first. I loved the non-stop action of the book and the portrayal of the characters. I wasn't sure about reading another Sabina Kane book after the first, but now, I can't wait for Green-Eyed Demon.

44. The Ark - Boyd Morrison - 415 pages

The Ark A Novel by Boyd Morrison

I really wanted to like The Ark, but something about it didn't work for me. The writing style kept throwing me and I had to re-read things to understand. I have to say the last quarter of the book was great, but getting there was work for me.

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 45. Strong Justice - Jon Land - 349 pages

Strong Justice A Caitlin Strong Novel by Jon Land

Second in the Caitlin Strong series. This time Caitlin must stop a killer littering the US/Mexico border with bodies. Along the way, history repeats itself as she follows in her grandfather's footsteps. Nice addition to the series. Hopefully, the story will keep going from here.

46. Magic on the Storm - Devon Monk - 344 pages

Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4) by Devon Monk

4th in the Allie Beckstrom series. I almost put this book down after the first couple of chapters. Since I haven't read the first 3 Allie Beckstrom books, it was hard to get into the story at first. I was just missing so much back story. BUT I am glad I persisted. The book had a great story and I really enjoyed it once I got into the meat of the story.

47. The Moses Stones - James Becker - 463 pages

The Moses Stone by James Becker

After two tourists are killed suspiciously in Morocco, Chris Bronson is send to investigate and gets sucked into a Da Vinci Code like adventure. The story was fast paced, but the characters after claiming to not have a lot of knowledge sudden seemed to know everything.

message 22: by Katie (last edited Jul 25, 2010 02:26PM) (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 48. Magic to the Bone - Devon Monk - 355 pages

Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk

49. Magic in the Blood - Devon Monk - 358 pages

Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2) by Devon Monk

50. Magic in the Shadows - Devon Monk - 350 pages

Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3) by Devon Monk

After having used magic all her life, Allie Beckstrom discovers there is more to magic than she ever expected. The first three books of the series lived up to the promise of the 4th book "Magic on the Storm." I wish I would have read the books in order, but better out of order than not at all.

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments Since I finished 50, I thought I would re-target and go for 70.

51. The Promised War - Thomas Greanias - 292 pages

The Promised War A Thriller by Thomas Greanias

The Promised War has an interesting premise. When captured by Palestinians, Israeli Agent Sam Decker finds himself inexplicitly in the past at the famed battle of Jericho. Thrust into events he only vaguely recalls from his childhood teachings, he must find a way to survive and decide, as a Jew, if he should allow the line which would later produce Jesus to continue. This book has a very brutal, and true, portrayal of the past. At times it is hard to read, but the story was fascinating enough to keep me invested in the story.

52. Black Rain - Graham Brown - 502 pages

Black Rain A Thriller by Graham Brown

Black Rain started with a pretty generic plot of a team from the US trekking to the Brazilian jungle to find a mysterious treasure, but quickly the story picked up huge twist and a ton of pace. It was a very enjoyable read.

message 24: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Katie wrote: "Since I finished 50, I thought I would re-target and go for 70.

You go girl!!

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 53. The Breach - Patrick Lee - 372 pages

The Breach by Patrick Lee

The Breach started off as a rip roaring adventure, but fizzled a bit in the end. I really wish the book could have maintained pace, but it was still a great read despite the failure.

54. The Solomon Effect - C.S. Graham - 371 pages

The Solomon Effect by C.S. Graham

The Solomon Effect has an interesting premise. The main character of the story has the ability to see locations she has never been. Mix in a mysterious Nazi sub raised from the ocean depths and a plot to end the conflict in the Middle East and you have a pretty gripping tale.

55. Prime Evil - Heather Long - 220 pages

Prime Evil by Heather Long

Pretty good book, but since it was an e-book, it took me forever to actually finish. I really enjoyed the premise of a serial killer coming back from his presumed death to go after the one victim who survived.

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments Donna wrote: "Katie wrote: "Since I finished 50, I thought I would re-target and go for 70.

You go girl!!"

Thanks! I will slow down from here until Thanksgiving. I need to start working on my Christmas crafts.

message 27: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Oh, now that's just annoyingly sensible & efficient. Being a first class procrasinator, I'll be starting mine after Thanksgiving & finishing at about 2 a.m. Christmas morning.

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments LOL! I totally understand. I would wait too, but I make advent calendars, that my friends just love, and they have to get done early if I want them to people by the beginning of December.

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 56. Total Eclipse - Rachel Caine - 303 pages

Total Eclipse (Weather Warden, #9) by Rachel Caine

Final book in the Weather Warden series. (sob) But it is good to a satisfying ending to Joanne and David's story. I laughed. I cried. I will miss Joanne, David, Lewis and the Djinn. Happy Trails!

57. The Archangel Project - C.S. Graham - 358 pages

The Archangel Project by C.S. Graham

The prequel to The Solomon Effect. While the characters aren't as development as in the latter book, the plot was interesting and kept me guessing.

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 58. Dark and Disorderly - Bernita Harris - 284 pages

Dark and Disorderly by Bernita Harris

59. Beneath - Jeremy Robinson - 211 pages

BENEATH - A Novel by Jeremy Robinson

60. After America - John Birmingham - 458 pages

After America by John Birmingham

I am being super lazy and not reviewing the books...even with a sentence.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 62. Killbox - Ann Aguirre - 353 pages

Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4) by Ann Aguirre

Forth book in the Sirantha Jax series. Talk about crying. I cried through the whole book. After setting up strong relationships in the first three books, the latest book torn them all apart as events forced the characters to make heartbreaking decisions.

63. Face Off - Mark Del Franco - 322 pages

Face Off (Laura Blackstone, #2) by Mark Del Franco

Second book in the Laura Blackstone series. I wish I had liked this book as much as the first. This one was hard to get into and then the end was rushed. The book was good enough that I plan on reading the next book. I have my fingers crossed that the next book will be better.

64. TSI: The Gabon Virus - Paul McCusker and Walt Larimore, MD - 427 pages

The Gabon Virus A Novel (TSI Time Scene Investigators, #1) by Paul McCusker

New series that follows a group of scientists called the Time Scene Investigators. The TSI use history to solve current epidemics. In the case of the Gabon Virus, they must go back to the 17th century to find out how some of the villagers of Eyam, England survived a plaque which decimated most of the village. Pretty good action and interesting plot. The only problem was that as Christian Fiction, it got a little preachy in the end, but not enough to make me not want to ready the next book in the series.

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 65. TSI: The Influenza Bomb - Paul McCusker and Walt Larimore, MD - 428 pages

The Influenza Bomb A Novel (TSI Time Scene Investigators, #2) by Paul McCusker

Second of the TSI series. Not quite as good as the first book, but still good. Interesting premise and the twists kept me guessing.

66. Desperate Choices - Kathy Ivan - 230 pages

Desperate Choices by Kathy Ivan

About half way through this book, I almost stopped reading. The plot was unlikely and some of the violence senseless.

67. I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore - 440 pages

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore

First of the Lorien Legacies. This is the story about a group of children sent to Earth when their planet is attacked. Now the children are being hunted by the very creatures that destroyed their world. The first three children have been found and killed and number four is this next target. I really enjoyed this book. There was an interesting story, but the best part was that they named the dog Bernie Kosar.

68. The Good Die Twice - Lee Driver - 128 pages

The Good Die Twice by Lee Driver

Interest mystery type book with a paranormal twist. Not the most suspenseful book ever, but decent.

69. The Strain - Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan - 353 pages

The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1) by Guillermo Del Toro

This book scared the ever living hell out of me. A cross between a medical thriller and a horror novel. First part of a trilogy, but I'm not sure I can read the other books...

70. Labyrinth - Kat Richardson - 350 pages

Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5) by Kat Richardson

I love Kat Richardson's book, but something about this one couldn't keep me engaged. The book was okay, but it took forever for me to read.

I guess my new goal is going to have to 75 books...:-D

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments Let's try 80 books in 2010...

71. Ghost Town - Rachel Caine - 335 pages

Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9) by Rachel Caine

Latest book in the Morganville Vampire series and a great addition. The story started a little slow, but after the first 50 pages the book flew. A ton of character building which leads me to believe that there are going to be some major changes in the next couple of books.

message 34: by Katie (last edited Nov 20, 2010 08:15AM) (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 72. Magician's Muse - Linda Joy Singleton - 295 pages

Magician's Muse (The Seer, #6) by Linda Joy Singleton

Last in the Seer series. Sabine finds herself up to her neck in trouble, again, and must do what she can to save her friends and herself. It was a good ending to the series. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with Thorn in the new series.

73. The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde - 281 pages

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

Another quirky addition to the Jasper Fforde collection. All I can say about the book has best last two paragraphs EVAH!

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments I haven't added to the list here, but I have blown through 75 and am reading my 80th book.

The questions is should I set I goal to 85 even though I don't see getting 6 books read in the next 2 weeks.

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments I really need to update more often. It is hard for me to get motivated to write even a little blurb with so many books at once.

74. What's A Ghoul To Do? - Victoria Laurie - 271 pages

What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie

A fun read with a few twists and turns. Nothing too earth shattering or ground breaking, but still enjoyable.

75. Beneath the Dark Ice - Greig Beck - 294 pages

Beneath the Dark Ice by Greig Beck

This book took forever for me to read. The story was interesting, but it was just slow going the whole way and made it feel like a chore just to get to the end.

76. The Babylonian Codex - C.S. Graham - 348 pages

The Babylonian Codex by C.S. Graham

I really like this series. The remote viewing aspect gives it a fresh take on the mysteries of history novel. The real problem with the series is that the books are getting repetitive after only three novels.

77. Secret of the Seventh Son - Glenn Cooper - 393 pages

Library of the Dead by Glenn Cooper

This book was never what it seemed. It started one way and then become something else. That aspect made it an interesting read.

78. The 7th Victim - Alan Jacobson - 424 pages

The 7th Victim by Alan Jacobson

This book was preposterous and kept getting worse. I wanted to like it more, but my belief can only be stretched so far by things.

79. Midnight Crystal - Jayne Castle - 371 pages

Midnight Crystal (Dreamlight Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #9; Harmony, #7) by Jayne Castle

I just love the world of these books. I don't read a lot of romance any more, but I can't wait to read this series when a new book comes out!

80. As Lie the Dead - Kelly Meding - 423 pages

As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2) by Kelly Meding

I would have read this book right away when it came out in July, but I read a bad review and put it off. Stupid me. This sophomore effort was just as good as the outstanding original. I loved the non-stop action and twists and turns.

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie (bigferret) | 45 comments 81. Bayou Moon - Ilona Andrews - 447 pages

Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2) by Ilona Andrews

2nd book in the Edge novels. The story of a family feud flared by outside sources, the book has good action and interesting twists. My biggest gripe is that the end is rushed, but still a satisfying conclusion.

And that is a year...81 books is a lot of me. Resetting to 50 again, but I am sure I will have to readjust later to a higher number (fingers crossed).