Chicks On Lit discussion

Summer Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited May 16, 2008 07:54AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) In addition to group reads and what ever happens to catch my reading fancy, I'm thinking of reading some books from the 'Summer Reading' lists, mainly to re-read some from my youth that I remember loving and to read some that I never did & wish I had (classics & the like). Come to think of it, we never actually had required summer reading where I went to grade school or high school like they do now!

I'm thinking of starting around Memorial Day and ending around Labor Day, just to start with a bit of structure!

There's a FANTASTIC display of these type of summer reads at Barnes & Noble (6 book cases worth!) - it's where I found "Women and Fiction: Stories By and About Women" (Signet Classics Paperback) ~ it's on my "to-read" shelf. I was surprised at how many contemporary books are now included! (Like Sue Monk Kidd's "The Secret Life of Bees" ~ one of my fav's of all time!)

I am a little hesitant though!

I LOVED F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" when we read it back in high school. LOVED IT! I started re-reading it either in 2005 or 2006 for an online classics fiction lit class and I found that I couldn't stand it! I kept reading & reading, waiting for that love to return and it didn't! I was so disappointed!

I'm almost afraid to re-read "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "Ye Gods and Goddesses" or "Night" by Ellie Wiesel again! (Also ones I LOVED back in the day!)

I do want to read "Ethan Frome" by Edith Wharton, "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte, "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou (I've read most of her other auto-bio's but not this one for some reason) and "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton, all of which I have at home so I guess that's a good place to start! Something from Jane Austin too though I don't think I have any of hers at home. What else?

Actually, I'm not sure why I've posted this! Perhaps to get my thought together on the subject! Any suggestions for reads are appreciated!

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I remember reading Gone With the Wind every summer. It was my favorite summer read. I have been wanting to read East of Eden but I'm a little hesitant because I'm not the biggest Steinbeck fan around. Count of Monte Cristo is another one that I want to read this summer. I read an abridged version of Les Mis in HS and have always wanted to read an unabridged version. Ohhh also Don Quixote by Cervantes. Something about chasing windmills that I love.

message 3: by April (new)

April (contusions96) Tera- Read East of Eden! I'm not a huge Steinbeck fan but I LOVE that book. It is def. one of my top favorites. I haven't read Don Quixote yet, you'll have to let me know how that goes.

Jo- "Wuthering Heights" is also a beautiful book. Its very dark though. Good luck with your summer reading!

message 4: by MJ (last edited May 16, 2008 07:22PM) (new)

MJ I never reread one book in the summer I always stuck with those trashy summer reads. You know the books you take on vacation because noone you know will see you reading it and you can leave it in the Hotel lobby when you are done.

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli Gone With The Wind is one of my all time faves.....read it first when i was 10 and then several times after that. each time i got something new from the book depending on my age. =) The Great Gatsby was one I loved too and since you said that Jo I'm thinking I should re read it to see if i still LOVE it. I also LOVED Romeo and Juliet when read it in high school....I wonder if I would still feel the same now??

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments This summer mainly its the trashy stuff I am wanting to read. I have actually scoured Goodreads members bookshelves for ideas. I have gotten several ideas that way. I made a HUGE list and then compared that list to what's at the local library. That is where I am getting most of my reads. As a result I am focusing on the what-if sequels to Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. LONG live Jane!!!

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 12 comments I have a stack of books a mile high waiting to be read. I *do* want to read some classics though, Little Women is my favorite, maybe I will pull it out to read soon.

message 9: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited May 18, 2008 08:18AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I found a bunch of books in the basement that I haven't been able to find since we moved here ~ two & a half years ago!!! I found that I have Jane Eyre! Add that to my list! And perhaps East of Eden, but I want to read The Grapes of Wrath first!

message 10: by MJ (new)

MJ I love the Grapes of Wrath

message 11: by Inky (new)

Inky | 19 comments My only rule for the summer reading list is fluff and fun. It's too hot where I live to lift obligation reads between June and September. I'm more in the mood for that in the fall, when the light starts going early and I can get cozy with a large tome.
In the summer, I do romance (waiting for Julia Quinn's latest:)), mystery (June's high point for me is the newest installment of the Stephanie Plum series) and fantasy -- the more fantastical the better.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Inky, I LOVE your profile pic! (Wonder Woman has always been one of my fav's!)

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth Larabee | 52 comments I like to pull the Harry Potter books out in the summer, I don't know why but it has become a tradition for me!

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Jo, heard a rumor it's your bday today. Have fun, gal!!!

message 15: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Oh la la ... happy birthday jo!!!

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments I can't remember the books that I read over the summer. I just remember that they were from the library and I used to love spending hours rereading things.

Now, my summer reads are usually lighter, something that I can easily finish or put down when I need to go swimming (Florida is HOT in the summertime).

If anyone is looking for a recommendation, I would recommend The Shadow of the Wind. It is excellent. I heard about it on an NPR summer reading list a few years ago. It is great.

message 17: by Kim (last edited May 21, 2008 11:23AM) (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) summer reading? Like soccer game stuff? Sit by the pool while my child ingests lord knows what?

hmmm...

Maybe I should preface with 'what will I not be embarrassed to bring into public'

okay, I was smart once... I read big books with lofty ideas... still do, not dissing them. But, sometime last year or the year before I was introduced to a new set of books.. hmm... ones that my husband looks at me reading, shakes his head, and bows out of the room before I begin my diatribe about why I feel that Ulysses is overrated and just shut up already, okay?

This started with Diana Gabaldon and the Outlander series, which we've actually gotten a few guys (yes, of the male persuasion) from another one of my groups to start reading and might warrant a revisit...
But, there's a new Black Dagger Brotherhood book out this summer and a new Dark Hunter book out and then of course the final Twilight book and---my god, I'm scaring all of you, right? I mean, here I am, the newbie and I'm admitting to you that I read this stuff and I haven't fully come out of the closet to be able to justify it except with a few of my closest friends.
Maybe I should go back to work...

No... I will stand my ground. I like these books, they are good escapism, they help me get through the uh... other 115 books on my 'to read' list. I find men named Phury attractive and Ash is one hot God. Yes, (gulp) I do.

Oh, and I'm also gonna read The Tempest this summer. :-)

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Kim... WHAT are you talking about? Were you hyped up on caffeine when you posted? Hee hee! You are a very funny woman!!! Are you trying to tell us that you like girly stuff? It's totally ok, we do too!!! Right gals?

Ok, who are Ash and Phury?

message 19: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Oh my goodness! Amanda did you tell her we were uptight literary snobs or something?!

I have heard nothing but good about the Twilight series. Both of my Sister in Laws have raved about them and told me I simply MUST read them.

I dont know the others but I firmly believe if you don't get lost in a book then whats the point of reading it. If I wanted to stay in the now all the time I'd read the paper. (for the record I can not remember the last time I read an entire newspaper).

I may tease you if Phury or Ash is the name of the lead in a book with Fabio on the cover but c'mon you have to be prepared for that ;).

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments I think in another group, she was getting ragged on for reading Outlander. (Shhhh... I may have been one of the ones doing the ragging.) Actually, I told her that no one here in Chicks on Lit is mean AT ALL and that she would absolutely love it! And now she's here, and I'm soooooo happy!

Tera, let me know if you ever do read Twilight. I'm back and forth on it. And quite frankly, with so much other stuff on my To-Read shelf, I'm not sure I'm willing to take the dive without solid recommendations! :) hee hee

And I STILL haven't decided what to read this summer. Gotta finish up Red Leather Diary first, and there's also a book I'm reading called Breathing Out The Ghost that one of my Goodreads friends wrote!!! Cool, huh?!?!?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thanks for the Bday wishes Amanda & Tera!

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) No.. Mandy didn't lead me to believe you guys were uptight or snobs or anything... this is my own personal guilt that I'm carrying.
Something happened when I turned 35 and was recommended this by some er... friends (*cough* Michelle!) and I got hooked...before that I definitely made fun of this prior and then thought 'hey, it's not SO bad... ' (okay, Dark Hunter' is... but, oh well)
No Fabios, but funny freakin' covers... at home I cover them with Kerouac so that my husband doesn't get on me.

Happy Birthday Jo!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I started 'The Grapes of Wrath' last night! I should've started tuesday but I forgot about about my little summer reading goal here! :)