Salon des Refusés discussion

Books and Magazines > What is the Prime Minister Reading?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candy (last edited Mar 04, 2010 01:27PM) (new)

Candy | 338 comments Dan and I recalled (during discussion on Hermes) that the Prime Minister of Canada wasn't very supportive of the arts in Canada...he once said...

"I think when ordinary working people come home, turn on the TV and see a gala of a bunch of people at, you know, a rich gala all subsidized by taxpayers claiming their subsidies aren't high enough, when they know those subsidies have actually gone up – I'm not sure that's something that resonates with ordinary people,"

The fantastic writer Yann Martel who wrote Life of Pi began a project of sending the Prime Minister a book or so every two weeks. So far he has sent him over 70 books.

Martel set up a fantastic website chronicling the letters, about the books he sent, and the process.

The eletters are a fantastic resource for readers and it is quite fun to read them especially if you have read any of the books on his list.

A huge shout out to the brilliant idea Martel had to try to get our deadly dull right-wing fundamentalist PM interested in books and art...here is the web site...

http://www.whatisstephenharperreading...

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy | 42 comments LOL... That's a nice one,
Candy. The letters are very good...

I like how consistent he is, and I like the idea of letting another person draw something particular out of oneself...