Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Series Discussions > Demonica - Larissa Ione

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

message 2: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i really wanna read this one. deciding if i should get them wit my 15% off coupon at the bookstore yet. ill read an excerpt on her webpage first.

message 3: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 28 comments Loved them. Larissa is a fantastic author. The concept is just too cool I would love to see it made into a Day Time Soap.. Demon General hospital Would blow the others out of the water :P

message 4: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) LOL, Erika - i would definitely set my DVR up for THAT show!! yes, loved Demonica, and couldn't agree w/ you more that Larissa is a fantastic author!! highly recommended read!

Mariya - you might want to check them out at Amazon; i think they are all eligible for the buy 4-for-3 promotion, which would basically be saving you 25%.

message 5: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Love (lexilove) | 2 comments I have this series in my to read list. What are the main things you like about the series. Some of the other paranormal series I've read that I've loved is Sookie Stackhouse, Black Dagger Brotherhood, Dark Series, Love at Stake, Immortals After Dark, Anita Blake, Merry Gentry, and Midnight Breed.

message 6: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) ive read the first 2 chapters so i think ill go out and buy the first one for now. i wanna wait til i get my gift card in the mail to get the remaining ones.

message 7: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) okaiexz... i bought Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione and Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2) by Larissa Ione . wont read quite yet probally in a month or have other series i need to finish first.

message 8: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Apr 23, 2010 05:40PM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Lexi I've read up to the third book, Passion Unleashed. I love the continuing side stories that the books have even though it switches to different couples. The idea of a Demon hospital always amuses me. (Yes, I would love to see that soap opera!) Ione's a really awesome writer, humerus, serious enough, and great plots!. Try out the excerpt she has at her site and you'll get a feel for it.

I'm actually a fan of all the books you have there, except for Midnight Breed (I haven't read that one).

message 9: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 276 comments I've only read the first two so far and I'll be reading the third next month. I really like this series and love Gem and Kynan's continuing side story.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Me too! Gem and Kynan's story is one of my favorite parts of the series!

message 11: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Love (lexilove) | 2 comments I've been debating on which series to read next. I think I'll move this one up on the list. I keep hearing really good things.

Shera,

If you have read BDB series and really liked it, you'll also like Midnight Breed. The sereis are so similar some times are mix up the stories.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I love BDB! Looks like Midnight Breed is up for the BOM so I think I'll give it a whirl.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 42 comments Its very similar to BDB, so similar to where I didn't quite like it at first. Then I read further and loved it. I really like Shade and Runa's story and I'm going to start the third one soon.

message 14: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) so happy sin undone comes out on tuesday!

message 15: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Sin Undone (Demonica, #5) by Larissa Ione

Has anyone else read this yet? I'd love to chat about it.

I thought the Demonica series started as a very good paranormal romance series, but it turned GREAT with the last book (#4). At the time I read 'Ecstacy Unveiled' I thought it was Larissa Ione's best work to date. Ione delivered another winner--'Sin Undone' is just as strong as the last book. It was a terrific mix of action, suspense, mystery and romance. Great leading characters and supporting cast. There were humorous, light moments as well as some tearjerkers. This is the best PNR I've read in a while.

message 16: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) hi, Shannon - i just finished it yesterday, and i agree w/ you completely!! i was the same way...thought that each book just got better and better, and Lore's was my favorite...until yesterday. Sin Undone was amazing!!! i loved both Sin and Con...both had excellent depth and growth, and i thought Larissa did a fantastic job at keeping me engaged in the book throughout its entirety. i also loved how she weaved all the characters into the story, and then set up the Lords of Deliverance. seriously, it was her best book to date. FANTASTIC!

message 17: by Grammy (new)

Grammy 1 | 16 comments I agree...The first book is always hard getting into the world...But they get better and better...Got Sin Undone and life got in the way this week
cannot wait to read

message 18: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) Grammy - i think you'll love it! honestly, i can't imagine anyone not liking it. it was fabulous all the way around. enjoy!!

message 19: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) just finished it yesterday. so sad that it is over. *cries* but im super excited for the next series lord of the delieverance.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (animallover07) This series is over??

message 21: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 462 comments Sadly, yes. The first book of the spin-off series, Lords of Deliverance, is coming out March 29th. The second book is coming out December 1st.
Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #2) by Larissa Ione

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen (jlmonty4) | 6 comments I really like this series.I wish there were more,but I'll read her spin off series..very good series.Loved it!!!

message 23: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 52 comments According to Larissa, the new series is really a continuation of the Demonica books and will include a lot of the characters from the series. I just finished the Sydney Croft ACRO series (currently written, series is not over) Which L writes with Stephamie Tyler and they are wonderful also!

message 24: by Cassie Cruel (new)

Cassie Cruel (faith_isola) | 468 comments My friend bought me the first one, but I have yet to read it :/

*Another on the TBR pile*

message 25: by Rose (new)

Rose (rhart) Loved this series! And the *spin-off* Lords of Deliverance is fab so far too (only read the first book) Some characters from Dem are in it yay!
<3 Wraith! lol

message 26: by MommaBear (new)

MommaBear I adore Larissa Ione! I'm on Lethal Rider of her Demonica / Lords of Deliverance series, a "late-comer" to the series. BUT, I don't have to wait for the next book, and can find the paperbacks really cheap at HalfPriceBooks, my fav store.

As a newbie to PNR, I'm late for a lot of great series, have a ton of books on my TBR pile. Looking forward to discussing them on these threads!

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth (thebookishsweettooth) I just finished Wraith's book and aww so sweet! When I first started this series two years ago I couldn't get into it, I restarted again a couple of weeks ago and I'm happy I did so.

message 28: by MommaBear (new)

MommaBear Wraith is my favorite, still. Keep reading, and please see Larissa's website for additional free stories from the Demonica world. But do heed the warnings of WHEN to read them, so you don't spoil anything for yourself.

message 29: by Toni (new)

Toni | 19 comments Love Larissa Ione. Read every one of her Demonica books and Lordsof Deliverance. That series coincides with the Demonica series. You'd have to look up in what order to read each book. In my opinion they're all great

message 30: by Sallie (new)

Sallie Griffin (salliebelle) | 98 comments Really great author and her books are just to die for!

message 31: by MommaBear (new)

MommaBear Best reading order lists, IMO, are on Maryse's Book Blog. She relays info gleaned from author websites so you don't have to, including novellas, freebie shorts on webpages, etc. Highly recommended it for any series in romance, of all genres.

message 32: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 43 comments I think I may pick up this series soon. As a huge UF reader, I decided to try getting into PNR, and was told this series is great.

message 33: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda Toni wrote: "Love Larissa Ione. Read every one of her Demonica books and Lordsof Deliverance. That series coincides with the Demonica series. You'd have to look up in what order to read each book. In my opinion..."

Amen!

message 34: by Toni (new)

Toni | 19 comments If your looking for a series thats sinliar to Demonica and Lords of Deliverance, I'd recommend Alexandra Ivy's Guardian's of Eternity series, and Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series, ooh and JR Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood series is also good. Every series I mentioned has to be read in order. IMO they are all worth reading. But first read Larissa Ione's Demonica in conjunction with Lords of Deliverance. Every book is absolutley fantastic!

message 35: by Toni (new)

Toni | 19 comments Oh and Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series is good too. I think I'm done for now. ;)

message 36: by MommaBear (new)

MommaBear I've read the BDB, except for The Shadows (waiting for paperback, and I've become less into UF, more into PNR and ER). Have so many great series to start (late) on my TBR, including those you mentioned above now too. Thanks for the recs, Toni!

message 37: by Toni (new)

Toni | 19 comments Your welcome Nihcki. I know there's more, but that was all I could think of off the top of my head

message 38: by Xen (new)

Xen Randell (xeniya) | 9 comments Oh yes, the Guild Hunter by Nalini Singh (but also her Psy/Changeling series) is really great, one of the top series on my list. I would also recommend The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning, a PNR/UF with really good and gritty atmo.

I've read Lara Adrian's Breed series, not bad, but has some holes I didn't like. You might, I'm a bit peculiar on some things...

message 39: by Toni (new)

Toni | 19 comments Haven't read Psi series by Nalini Singh. I'll have to check it out. But yes, you are so right about The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. That was really good. I heard there are more books in that series. I only read the ones involving Mac, but I heard she kept going with it involving other characters. Have you read the newer ones? Just wondering if its worth checking out.

message 40: by MommaBear (new)

MommaBear Well, a reason I'm not feeling JR Ward recently is because she goes against her own world-building rules. IMO, you create a world with certain rules, religions, etc, you damn well stick to it. Otherwise, create a new world, in a new series. So I'm a stickler for an author to keep their world. Also timelines. That's another issue that has to be kept on track. Plus, attraction between characters should be at least feasible and shown, not told.

For example, if you read the BDB, Phury was shown to love Bella, nothing ever can make me believe Phury loves Cormia. It was never shown on page. JM felt more for her than anyone. And JM, a male raped and traumatized by a male, attracted to a shemale like Xhex? One repeatedly described in masculine terms? Nope, not in my mind, lol. A reason it took months for me to get thru The King and why I've yet to read The Shadows.

That's why I adore Larissa Ione. She created a fantastic world, complex yet easily followed, and she keeps to it. Her couples are believable as such, their relationship (and all-important lust) is vividly shown to develop. Love Gem and Kynan, in every book we've seen them come together, stay together. Even if at first it seems the couple will never be (Eiodion and Tayla), we are shown how they come together, why they work together.

So I'm peculiar on some things, too. I need a world with rules followed, no exceptions to suit a particular storyline or character (Bonded males were blown out of the water for Tohr in the BDB, still fuming over that, btw). A couple has to be believable on at least some level beyond "insta-love". Timelines have to be kept straight. Characters should not completely change when featured in a book (again I use the BDB for an example: Vishous. Nuff said).

So will I like Lara Adrian's Breed series? I can't expect her to be Larissa Ione, my fav, but if she keeps her own world on track...

message 41: by Toni (new)

Toni | 19 comments Well you definitly have a point about BDB. I liked all the earlier books. Rhage is my fave. But I admit her later books have seem to have gotten off the beaten path she was originally going for. Don't get me wrong, I still read the series. Wasn't thrilled with the last few books, which is why I haven't read the Shadows either. Yet. But I know I eventually will. And she has a kind of spin off coming out Blood Kiss, where the Brothers go back to training new recruits again. I'll definitly check that one out. I like Lara Adrian. Again her first few books are the better ones. You'd have to decide for yourself. The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning sticks to her original world building and is very good. Same can be said for Alexandra Ivy. But thats my opinion. You'll have to see for yourself if you like them. Its worth checking out.

message 42: by Xen (new)

Xen Randell (xeniya) | 9 comments Toni wrote: "Haven't read Psi series by Nalini Singh. I'll have to check it out. But yes, you are so right about The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. That was really good. I heard there are more books in tha..."

Yes, there's "Iced" and "Burned" that are out for now, "Feverborn" is about to be released early next year, the cover's just been published! And... I don't know what to say about the two books after the Shadowfever. They're good, I can't say they're not and I love them! But... they're not the original Fever. It's as some of the magic disappeared. Anyhow, the world is just so damn great that I don't care who or what she tells, I'm going to read it!

message 43: by Toni (new)

Toni | 19 comments I'll have ro check out those 2 books then. I know she also has some kind of Highlander series. I downloaded the first book but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. She's a great author. Can't imagine anything she puts out can be bad. Still Larissa Ione is one of my absolute faves

message 44: by MommaBear (new)

MommaBear I have Larissa's Mounbound Clan series on my TBR shelf, after I catch up on Demonica/ Lords of Deliverance. Anyone read those yet? Love me some vampires!

message 45: by Toni (new)

Toni | 19 comments I did read Moonbound clan series. They were pretty good. Not as good as Demonica. But fairly good nonetheless.

message 46: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Speer (aaronlspeer) | 33 comments I love vampires too :-)

message 47: by MommaBear (new)

MommaBear Aaron wrote: "I love vampires too :-)"

You are biased!

message 48: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Speer (aaronlspeer) | 33 comments I am indeed. More Aussie the better. Fair dinkum and too right mate

message 49: by MommaBear (new)

MommaBear My comments keep getting cut off! Wanted to add that Aaron Speer's Undeadly Secrets series is now one of my favorites. Other favs are the BDB by Ward (the first 6.5 anyway), Argeneau by Sands (I'm on book 6), Scansguards by Folsom (just started).

I have a ton on my TBR shelf, after I finish Fallen Angels by Ward (book 5 is a struggle for me, but next book is final of series), and Ione's Demonica/Lords of Deliverance. Then I'll continue with Sands (huge series) and start yet another that everyone else has already read, lol. At least I have no wait for the next book. [You're killing me, Aaron!

message 50: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Speer (aaronlspeer) | 33 comments Hey come on...Night Walker came out late last year and the second draft of the manuscript for the sequel is already finished lol

« previous 1