Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Policy on fanfic being listed on GR as 'published books'?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 04, 2010 12:39PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Stumbled across an older thread discussing fanfic sequels to Harry Potter books, listed right here on GR. The author is G. Norman Lippert. Apparently, there is a link to the free pdf of each on the individual book's page.

The thread in which this was discussed can be found HERE. If you scroll down a ways, you'll see an open letter from him to readers clarifying JK Rowling's publisher letter to him, and expressly stating that these will never be 'published'.

What's the policy on these kinds of things being listed as books in GR?

Should they be deleted?

(Another book on the author's page has no details at all, just a cover image, title, and author name. Is that considered a book, or should that be deleted?)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Personally, I am of the opinion that they should not be listed (I think it takes the self-publishing concept too far and opens up the possibility of entries for anything anyone puts on the web), but I seem to recall that a lot of others were in favor of including them.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I tend to agree with you on that. Fan-fic is a dime a dozen and I think that is opening GR up to way too many unsavory possibilities. This is just my opinion, of course.

message 4: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments Last year there was this thread regarding fanfic in the catalog. Based on skimming the thread to refresh my memory, these entries should be ok. They are novel length writing and have no plagiarism complaints (that I know of). I'm not the official judge of these things, I'm just going by what was discussed in that thread. Personally, I'd like to see them left in the catalog because I do have them on my shelf and I have read and rated them, but that's just me being self-serving :)

Carolyn wrote: "Another book on the author's page has no details at all, just a cover image, title, and author name. Is that considered a book, or should that be deleted?"

This is a book that the author has written and was released to a limited number of readers for feedback. It has not been officially published yet, but I'm assuming it will be. I'll research and try to add any information I can find.

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments I think there's a different between fanfic on a website like Fanfiction.net and a novel length fanfic, with a cover, that was self-published on the users website in PDF. What's the difference between that and a book a user self-published via their website that's original?

message 6: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
My opinion is that if it's novel length it's fine to include. It can't hurt anything, and moresoever (is that a word?) I think one of our goals is to encourage new writers to find an audience - not discourage them. One day I hope to even allow aspiring authors who are writing their first book to have author profiles.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Otis wrote: "(is that a word?)"

Not really. It's a popular creative construction though.

The real word is moreover.

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled thread. ;)

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments OK, I hadn't seen any of the discussions about fanfic, so I was just wondering what the policy was.

Thanks to all who responded.

message 9: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited Mar 05, 2010 08:19AM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Coincidentally, fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss had a blog post about fan fiction yesterday. The following image (which he accredits to others...) shows the Geek Hierarchy. You'll note the prominence of various types of fan fiction writers/readers within the hierarchy:

Click for full size

message 10: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Heh. Yeah, that's from eight years ago, which I suppose is a generation or two in internet years, but it's still rather true! You'll note, of course, that "webcomic authors" don't appear at all on the lists. ;)

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
I'm on there so many times it's almost funny.

Good thing I don't have any fur fetishes. Although it is so very so-o-o-oft . . .

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23742 comments Shame really, never thought to get married as Klingons, imagine the photos. Would really have purrfurred the nice soft fur....

message 13: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 4 comments Pardon me for drudging this up again, but is there an official method for adding a longer fanfiction work? I just read something 100,000+ words, and it was quite enjoyable. What should I do next? (Since I'm keen on it counting to my total works read.)

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23742 comments L.Josephine, I'd just create it as a book with as much of the usual information as you've got.