The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FUN & GAMES > Storytime

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Inspired by a discussion on Wendy's Task for the Spring Challenge (25.9)...

Ever play that game of story stick? The same applies here! We'll pass along the stick to get the story rolling. How will it end?

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments For the first story, our main characters are...

* Wikipedia Wendy (a modern day interpretation of Encyclopedia Brown)
* Facebook Frank (a girl has gotta have a sidekick)

They are at camp for Camp Fire Council!

message 3: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments The story thus far...

It was a dark and stormy night when I heard the call "Found a penny!" The counselors must think we're 8 but calling a water mocassin a penny isn't fooling us. The rain abated enough for me to leave the tent and join the hardy souls at the water's edge.

message 4: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Tanja wrote: "The story thus far...

It was a dark and stormy night when I heard the call "Found a penny!" The counselors must think we're 8 but calling a water mocassin a penny isn't fooling us. The rain abated enough for me to leave the tent and join the hardy souls at the water's edge..."

There, in the oozy, reedy shallows, was something gleaming whitely in the pale light of our flashlights.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I reached in and grabbed it. It was a page from some old book, journal, or diary.

message 6: by Leora (new)

Leora | 214 comments The page was brown and slimey and I could just make out some smudged, wet writing....

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Saying at this very camp, a treasure chest had been buried 173 years ago.

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Many thought this was only lore, but little did they know...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments little did they know the treasure chest was buried here many years ago by a pirate named One Eyed Jack and his parrot Bill. :) The treasure chest was known to have riches beyond the wildest of dreams.

message 10: by Donna Jo (last edited Mar 04, 2010 08:57PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments However, his parrot Bill, had nibbled along the edges of the note, so it looked lacy and there were a few words and half the map missing.

message 11: by Kate (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments But wikipedia wendy thought she might know what the missing words might be... she was pretty sure she had read something about it on wikipedia.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments Though Wikipedia Wendy knew Wikipedia was not always reliable so she much find further research but where...

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Surely Facebook Frank would know... he had so many connections! He nearly knew everyone there was to know. Surely One Eyed Jack would have a fan page that would hold some answers.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments One Eyed Jack did have a fan page with 1000 hits a day. His apps included thins like Pirates vs Thieves and Pirates of the Carribbean: the game. Perhaps the answers lie there.

message 15: by Usako (last edited Mar 05, 2010 07:04AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments A day went by with Wikipedia Wendy and Facebook Frank cranking up points on One Eyed Jack's apps when they received - Would you be my friend? - from none other than One Eyed Jack's sister's son's cousin's grandson's uncle's former college roommate! A LEAD!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments (hahahaha) Yes, he's name was Sneaky Pete. Perhaps he could get them answers.

message 17: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Wikipedia Wendy and Facebook Frank agreed to meet Sneaky Pete but not without first scooping the location by using Google Earth. It looked legit but to make sure Facebook Frank tweeted to all his friends to verify while Wikipedia Wendy started with the global searches.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments AHA a tweet from Twitter Talia! Apparently someone had hacked into Google's satelites and all of the images were delay by 76.89 hours. There was no way to be positive if the location was still secure. They would have to call...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments They had to call....a location cracker. Location crackers can find any location anywhere in the world. Good thing facebook advertises everything. They found Cody De'Coder, best location cracker on the net.

message 20: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments As Wikipedia Wendy was explaining the plan to her friend Polly, they looked at Cody De'Coker's Facebook information. The pictures were certainly interesting.
"MMM," said Polly. "Polly wants a location cracker."

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments (De'Coker?)

message 22: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sorry! My typing skills are nil. De'Coder--As in Fargo North, DeCoder

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments But little did Polly know then what wonders she would uncover.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments Perhaps Wikipedia Wendy and Polly should meet Cody Decoder and set up some sort of interview and explain the situation.

message 25: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Cody Decoder was ready for them. Someone tipped him off. He turned his decorder ring to W. Then he gave them the look of suspicion. "Who is W?"

message 26: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Luckily Wikipedia Wendy had gone to this meeting undercover as MySpace Mindy.

message 27: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments She arrived at the meeting and "MySpace Mindy" felt nervous, the area was too quiet for comfort.

message 28: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments As well it should be.
This meeting was very important. My Space Mindy looked from face to face, beads of sweat trickling down the sides of her face.
She reached down, pulled the braided rug aside and tugged at the dungeon-like ring to open the trap door.

message 29: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments But Polly pulled her back before the door could open. Cody Decoder told them only W could help him decipher the code on the door.