What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Girl goes to boarding school; historical fiction? She wore dresses, and I think they used candles for light, secret hallways [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:51AM) (new)

Sarah J. (msj531) | 3 comments This has been bugging me! I'm trying to think of the book for my friend's daughter, and I can't. I read this book in elementary school, probably 3rd or 4th grade (early 1990s). The main character, a girl, goes to a boarding school. I believe it was set in the late 1800s, early 1900s. She wore dresses, and I think they used candles for light. I want to say it was a series, but I'm not sure. I think the boarding school had secret hallways/passageways. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about!

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (missmeesh) Might be a little older, more of a Y/A series, but perhaps a book like A Great and Terrible Beauty?

message 3: by Kaion (last edited Mar 04, 2010 03:55PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments A Great and Terrible Beauty is much too new, and fantasy, besides.

Do you remember where the school (country, state, etc) was set? What did they use the passages for? Do you think the story was written in the time frame it was set in?

Could it be the Chalet school series? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalet_S... The author also wrote other another series and more standalone books. (It was a pretty popular genre at the time, and there are many other series like it.)

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Mar 04, 2010 04:00PM) (new)

Michelle (missmeesh) Yeah, you are probably right. The Chalet series sounds closer than A Great and Terrible Beauty. Good books besides.

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 59 comments Do you remember anything about the cover?
All I can think of is My Heart is on the Ground the Diary of Nannie Little Rose, a Sioux Girl, Carlisle Indian School, Pennsylvania, 1880 (Dear America) by Ann Rinaldi .
But the Chalet series sounds closer.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah J. (msj531) | 3 comments I can't remember if the girl is American or British, but the book Valerie posted isn't it. I don't think it was written in the time frame it was set in. After looking at the Chalet School series online, it's not ringing a bell.

I wish I could remember more information; I read them so long ago and never reread them.

Michelle Mulford | 112 comments I couldn't find what time period these were set in, but could it be one of Enid Blyton's series?

TheSt. Clare series, or The Naughtiest Girl series.

message 8: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments There is a listopia list on here of Boarding School Stories - you might find what you're looking for in there.

message 9: by Kayla (last edited Mar 08, 2010 07:23PM) (new)

Kayla (kaylaelrod) | 6 comments Was the girl's name Mandie, perhaps? She had long, blond, braided hair?
And did she have a cat named Snowball?
If so...the book you're talking about is a series by Lois Gladys Leppard called The Mandie Collection.
Mandie and the Secret Tunnel- This is the first one.

message 10: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments Could you be thinking of Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer? I don't specifically remember candles but (avoiding spoilers) it would not surprise me if there were some. Fabulous book - one that is usually in my top ten.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah J. (msj531) | 3 comments Yes, that is it! The Mandie collection. Thank you, Kayla!

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylaelrod) | 6 comments You're absolutely welcome! Glad I could help (:

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16178 comments Just FYI, Mandie and the Forbidden Attic is the one where she goes to boarding school.