The Mariachi’s discussion

Cat on a HotTinRoof - March 2010 > Contemporary Influence

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, group moderator (new)

Kim | 350 comments Mod
Has Cat on a Hot Tin Roof influenced anything contemporarily? (i.e. movies, books, poetry, television) Have you seen allegory's of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof anywhere?

message 2: by Adam, The Baggage Handler (new)

Adam | 183 comments Mod
I think a connection in the idea/theme of a loveless marriage, which this play has a lot of, can be connected to Revolutionary Road (both the movie and the novel). I think the idea of the loveless marriage is a very popular one through popular culture, so really any movie, novel or show that has the characters in a loveless marriage can be connected to this play.

message 3: by Kim, group moderator (new)

Kim | 350 comments Mod
Hmm...interesting thought my co-pilot. I think we can trace the idea of a loveless marriage back even beyond Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I was trying to think today if I had read anything or seen anything else that had a marriage covering for the husband being gay, and I remembered the movie Far From Heaven. It's about a 1950's "perfect couple" and how the wife catches her husband kissing another man and their lives unravel from there. Good film - I suggest, but that was the only other thing that stood out in my mind. I'll keep thinking though!

message 4: by Todd (new)

Todd | 89 comments I think that Adam's connection to a loveless marriage definitely fits, and is probably applicable to what most wives felt in the 50's. Gender inequality was much more prevalent, yet women were forced into gender roles that they were meant to accept without question. Obviously today this doesn't happen on a large scale (it still exists though), but the idea still remains. Loveless marriages today I believe are most likely ending in divorce, leading to the staggering percentage of new marriages that end in divorce today.

message 5: by Adam, The Baggage Handler (new)

Adam | 183 comments Mod
For some reason, and i shared this thought with kim, but whenever i think of the 1950s (which isn't often) but i always think of the movie Pleasantville. When everything that is perfect and dandy it is black and white, where as when there starts to become more real it becomes different colors. the black and white i think signifies the public persona of a 1950s marriage, everything is perfect and peachy keen, where as the colored is behind the close doors, where the truth comes out. i think especially in the 1950s, there was two sides to society, one that only the people effected saw and their public persona.

message 6: by Kim, group moderator (new)

Kim | 350 comments Mod
Your last posting about the color's makes me think of an old film based on a classic novel. The title of both being The Picture of Dorian Gray. For those of you who don't know what it's about I'll tell you! - Dorian Gray is a young man who is having his portrait painted. While it's being painted some type of enchantment happens and Dorian begins to never age. You come to learn that while he doesn't age his portrait does. His portrait also shows how ugly his insides are. (When I saw how ugly his insides are I mean what type of man Dorian is - he's cruel and rude - all this shows in his portrait). Dorian finds out about how his portrait looks and decides to hide it so no one will ever see what he's truly like. The film version from 1945 has the entire film in black and white EXCEPT the shots of the portrait. I found that to be so interesting because when the "truth" of who Dorian really is finally comes out it's incredibly jarring. Everything seems so normal in black and white, but then BAM out of nowhere is this huge colored portrait showing the truth.

The point of that whole story was to agree with Adam about the behind closed doors everything looks different but also to make the point things are never as they seem. Nothing is perfect and to look back on the 1950's it's amazing that people acted like they were.

So this was a massive post - lol - but I hope maybe I've encouraged some of you to read/see The Picture of Dorian Gray. SO GOOD.