The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 0.0 Fit This Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments If you need help fitting a book into any of the challenges, this is the place to ask!

Many fellow Seasoners love to help!

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Aside from Future Aspiriations or Live Performance, where else could I put this book? Oh and I bought it today.

The School Of Essential Ingredients
The School Of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister

message 3: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (bindyb) | 253 comments One of the characters suffers from alzheimers/dementia. So you could fit it in to 20.3

message 4: by Bridgit (last edited Mar 04, 2010 11:42AM) (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Hi - you could put this at:

5.9 - Spend a Day in Bed
10.1 - Trees - that appears to be a tree off the left side
10.4 C - lend the book to a friend when you are finished
20.7 - are there any old or broken kitchen appliances or utensils or serving stuff (or food in the fridge/closet) that shoudl be thrown away? do you need to clean out your freezer? or cull your cookbooks?
30.5 - Six Degrees of Seperation - Erica Bauermeister - Heather Connor - publicist at Penguin - JR Ward author appearing in a video "Project Paranormal" that she produced

message 5: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 322 comments You could take a cooking class and use it for 25.3.

I absolutely loved that book, btw! Good choice!

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Thanks everyone! I think I'll go with Belinda's suggestion! YAY!

Jen B - I couldn't find a baking class that had available seats :(

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Can anyone figure out where I can put Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes? Aside from the bed one.

Maybe I can take a cooking class for 25.3 if Coralie agrees...any other ideas?

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Nicole:

30.5 Six Degress of Separation - You could use it for Part A and then find any book to connect!

10.5 Journalist! From her blog: Elizabeth Bard is an American journalist and author based in Paris.

10.4 Reuse - I think Winter Challenge there was a cooking task. Read a book w/recipes and then try a recipe!

15.10 - If your personal philosphy is Love then LOVE in the title of the book works!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Okay, can someone please find a place for Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead?

message 10: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead by Saralee Rosenberg

30.5 Six Degress of Separation - You could use it for Part A and then find any book to connect!

5.9 Read the book entirely while in BED!

10.4c - Read it and then pass the book along to a friend.

20.1 - Is it a humorous book?

25.4 - Ask Diane if Saralee is an acceptable variation of Sarah

25.5 - If you own the book prior to the spring challenge, read it here!

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Tanja wrote: "Nicole:

10.5 Journalist! From her blog: Elizabeth Bard is an American journalist and author bas..."

YOU ROCK! I am going to ask Cynthia if the journalist one would work because I am not as attached to my book for that task (although it does sound good).

message 12: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Welcome! I may have to put your book on my TBR. Lately, I'm in a "cooking/baking" story kick!

message 13: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Anyone have any ideas for Divisadero, other than read in bed? It was on my TBR list (though I don't own it) before the challenge started, so that is my last resort.

This is my book club book for March and I know nothing about it!

Thanks!

message 14: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje

30.5 Six Degress of Separation - You could use it for Part A then connect immediately to Jhumpa Lahiri who wrote The Namesake b/c she's the guest reviewer for Divisadero! OR you can branch off from to The English Patient to the movie (actors/producer/director) etc to another book!

10.4 Reuse - I think in the Winter Challenge there was a task about reading anything from your TBR so long as the books added to 500 pgs? Or there was the Read an Author You've Never Read Before!

20.4 If you're from the California area, you could read this book!

message 15: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1667 comments 15.9 Can I read "Heat Wave" for this task? It is written under the name Rick Castle, who is of course the main character in the tv show Castle. Someone at the tv network obviously wrote it using the name Rick Castle as a pen name...

message 16: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Thanks, Tanja! I can't reuse, since I hadn't heard of it before last month, lol. But I may look into the 6 degrees thing. I saw the Lahiri quote, but I don't know who SHE is. I stink at that type of research. Maybe I'll post over on that thread.

I probably ought to just read it and then see if it fits anywhere. I have a startling number of open tasks that I just can't get excited to fill, in this challenge. maybe it will help with one of those!

message 17: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Cindie, could you use it for 15.9 since it is written under a pseudonym?

message 18: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1994 comments Any suggestions of where I might fit unSweetined by Jodie Sweetin? It's an addiction memoir -- alcohol, methamphetimine, rehab, relapse, rehab again, etc.

message 19: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1667 comments Ashley wrote: "Thanks, Tanja! I can't reuse, since I hadn't heard of it before last month, lol. But I may look into the 6 degrees thing. I saw the Lahiri quote, but I don't know who SHE is. I stink at that ty..."

Thanks Ashely!

message 20: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments I just finished Her Fearful Symmetry, but I can't find places to fit it (I don't want to put it in 5.4, 5.9, and 10.4). Thanks!

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Deedee

30.5 Six Degress of Separation - You could use it for Part A then connect immediately to Full House and branch off from to the actors/producer/director) etc to another book! I mean there's even the Olsen twins!

5.9 Read it completely while in bed

20.3 Amy's Mental Health Task. Amy has approved Alcoholism or drug addiction would both work ...

message 22: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Erin

30.5 Six Degrees of Separation - Check out the thread. I know someone was linking to Her Fearful Symmetry to Neil Gaiman. Both authors worked at Highgate. From Gaiman, you have even more connections.

10.1 Trees on Cover - Check if your cover is like this! http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/6... It has TREES!

15.6 Not sure what appeared on your Friends or Friend of Friends Lists.

20.7 Did you toss out something or have something you want to toss out that could connect ot the book?

25.5 If you own the book, then it works for this task.

message 23: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1994 comments Tanja wrote: "Deedee

30.5 Six Degress of Separation - You could use it for Part A then connect immediately to Full House and branch off from to the actors/producer/director) etc to another book! I mean there's..."

Thanks Tanja! I hadn't realized that Amy has approved Alcoholism or drug addiction for 20.3, unSweetined definately fits that category! Now to go over to the [Spring Challenge 2010 Completed Tasks:] Thread. :0)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I want to fit in Blindness by Jose Saramago somewhere. Any suggestions? (Aside from the read in bed task, etc.) I'll put it there if I have to. I'd rather keep those types open for books I really can't fit in.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 673 comments Jamie wrote: "I want to fit in Blindness by Jose Saramago somewhere. Any suggestions? (Aside from the read in bed task, etc.) I'll put it there if I have to. I'd rather keep those types open for books I really c..."

It fits:
5.5 - "Whatever is popular deserves attention."
Using the following link (Popular Books) read a popular book that was published in a year ending in 3/4/5.
It was published in 1995 and on the list of 100 most popular books for that year.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Lisa wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I want to fit in Blindness by Jose Saramago somewhere. Any suggestions? (Aside from the read in bed task, etc.) I'll put it there if I have to. I'd rather keep those types open for bo..."

Perfect! Thank you!

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 673 comments Your welcome! :D

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments I am trying to fit in "The Pretties" by Scott Westfield

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments You could fit it for the "series" task.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 673 comments Jayme wrote: "I am trying to fit in "The Pretties" by Scott Westfield"

It fits:
5.5 - "Whatever is popular deserves attention."
Using the following link (Popular Books) read a popular book that was published in a year ending in 3/4/5.
It was on the 2005 popular list.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Okay, this isn't about fitting a book. Tomorrow my Grandma and I are going to the library and not having enough time to reserve books I have a BIGGER task for you.

What tasks could I easily browse the library for?

message 33: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments I found my book for 10.10 by browsing (clothing in the title). I would think 5.1 (bird or insect in title) or 5.8 (call, etc. in title) would be easy as well. 5.3 (initials of author) would be fun.

And, of course, 5.9!!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Thank you Ashley!

message 35: by Julia (new)

Julia | 41 comments I really want to fit in The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker. My sisters are starting a book club and that is the first book, but I can't figure out how to make it fit! I could read it in bed, but the only copy my library has in right now is audio, so I will most likely be listening to it in the car.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Julia... there is always Six Degrees of Separation.

message 37: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Sarah - Most of the tasks you could fit classics into which are /very/ easy to find at the library. For instance, Black Beauty, Where the Red Fern Grows, Animal Farm for the Animal task. Jane Eyre and the Eyre Affair (the latter may be harder to find w/o reserve) for the Character Reference task. The NEA Booklist one has a TON of classics, too! Try looking at a classic lit list and then peering at the tasks to see where they may fit.

message 38: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Julia

5.4 - Ask Cynthia if she'll accept it for task 5.4. In the December 2009 Newsletter there was a section about the Goodreads Choice Awards! And that book was a nominee for Best Fiction (lost to The Help)! It isn't on the main page but it's shown on the results (originally the link went to the polls which listed ALL the books).

10.4 C - If it's part of your personal collection, read it and then pass it along to a friend.

25.1 - If your future aspiration is to sew better or learn how to sew, the cover has a mannequin used for pinning patterns!

25.5 - If you already own the book, then use it for the cleaning out your RL TBR!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Anyone know where A Page Out of Life could go? I can't use it for the 6 degrees of separation and I can't use it for the one you read all in bed.

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 673 comments Sarah wrote: "Anyone know where A Page Out of Life could go? I can't use it for the 6 degrees of separation and I can't use it for the one you read all in bed."

20.2 - Rookie Of The Season - Valorie - Clean Sweep
A. Read a fiction book with a character that cleans or organizes in some capacity.
The characters are organizing their photos into scrapbooks.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Thank you so much!

message 42: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments [image error] what about this one, I don't want to use it for the book in bed or off the the TBR. I might use it for the "Reuse" because I tried to fit it into the Winter Challenge

message 43: by Lisa (last edited Mar 09, 2010 06:21PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 673 comments Cindy wrote: "[image error] what about this one, I don't want to use it for the book in bed or off the the TBR. I might use it for the "Reuse" because I tried to fit it into the Winter Challenge"

25.3 - Coralie's Task - Coming Out Of Hibernation
Attend a live sporting event or musical or drama event and read a book that is somehow connected to the event. I don't care how major or minor the event is as long as it is outside your home and involves a live performance.
For example, if I attend the soccer game between Melbourne Victory (my local team) and Seong Nam (from Korea), I could read a book about soccer, with Victory in the title, set in Korea or set in the docklands of Melbourne where the game is being played.

Maybe you can visit a science museum or school science fair, where various inventions are displayed, because the main character invented a machine to aid in drilling for gold.

message 44: by Jay (new)

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments Cindy wrote: "[image error] what about this one, I don't want to use it for the book in bed or off the the TBR. I might use it for the "Reuse" because I tried to fit it into the Winter Challenge"

5.4 Was the book ever featured in a Goodreads newsletter? I know it was just published last year, and they mention quite a few books in each issue
5.6 It mentions that the Chinese workers are responsible for keeping the air clean...that might work for an Asian/Pacific American character(s)?
20.2 I haven't read the book, but could any of the characters who are trying to clean up the poisonous gas be considered people who clean or organize?
20.4 Looks like there is a mother and son at the center of the book, could you read it as one of your books for part B - a fictional family saga
20.8 Is escaping the zombies or city a pivotal part of the story?
25.5 If you already own this book, you could use it for a portion of the 850 pages to read

message 45: by Manday (last edited Mar 13, 2010 06:19AM) (new)

Manday | 311 comments I need help fitting some books. I have a book club book to add, and then just one I picked up at the library that I really want to read. One of them can go in the "read it in bed challenge", but I need to find a spot for one of them.

The two books: Franny and Zooey by Salinger and Mr. Darcy, Vampyre. I also wanted to note that I already have the Deja Vu task nearly completed, so Mr Darcy cannot go there (even though it would have been perfect). Also, they both are from the library and neither has been on my to-read list until today.

message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 16891 comments Mod
Manday wrote: "I need help fitting some books. I have a book club book to add, and then just one I picked up at the library that I really want to read. One of them can go in the "read it in bed challenge", but I ..."

Franny and Zooey is on page 5 of Books Everyone Should Read.... for task 15.3

message 47: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments that is excellent!! thank you! I also realized I might be able to use franny and zooey for the task where you also go to an event, if it works that I went to a college event and the book is set at college. Thanks for the info!

message 48: by Deedee (last edited Mar 14, 2010 11:01PM) (new)

Deedee | 1994 comments Help! I just realized that I have 2 books slated for 10.5 Freedom of the Press when I only really need one. Book #1 is Baby ER (2000) by Edward Humes (Hardcover, 295 pages)
Edward Humes received a jouranalistic Pulitzer Prize for specialized reporting on several investigative stories he wrote about the United States military.
Book #2 is The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible(2007) by A.J. Jacobs (Hardcover, 368 pages) I thought about 15.10 but while this book is advertised as a spiritual quest, I don't think I would claim his quest as "my personal philosophy".

Any help y'all can give would be appreciated!

Baby ER by Edward Humes The Year of Living Biblically One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible by A.J. Jacobs

message 49: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 16891 comments Mod
Deedee wrote: "Help! I just realized that I have 2 books slated for 10.5 Freedom of the Press when I only really need one. Book #1 is Baby ER (2000) by Edward Humes (Hardcover, 295 pages)
Edward..."

The Year of Living Biblically has been shelved 110 times as humor- might you use it for 20.1- Cindy's April Fool?

message 50: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1994 comments Dlmrose wrote: "...The Year of Living Biblically has been shelved 110 times as humor- might you use it for 20.1- Cindy's April Fool?"

Maybe ... I haven't read The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible yet so I'm not sure if it is supposed to be funny or serious (or a mixture of both!) Plus then I'd have to move the book I now have planned for 20.1, A Young Man Without Magic by Lawrence Watt-Evans, maybe move it to 20.8 A Magical Birthday. However ... I'm half done reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman, which I had planned for 20.8; but, wait! I can move The Magicians to 5.4 - Read a book mentioned in a former or current Goodreads Newsletter. (The Magicians is mentioned in the August 2009 newsletter). This would work, but only if The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible qualifies as "humor" for 20.1
Thanks Dlmrose!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.