The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > HALT! STOP READING ALL OF YOU!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Soory, I do not have the will-power...no way. Couldn't do it.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen | 28 comments Got my attention...for about two seconds.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 94 comments gives me (sniff) withdraw symptoms (sweat) just thinking bout it(cold shakes).

message 4: by El (new)

El I guess... I mean, I just can't imagine willingly giving up reading. Like it just doesn't make sense to me. I get snippy if I don't read regularly, so I feel it's my civic duty to make sure to keep reading.

message 5: by Kaion (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:02AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Eh. Puff-piece. I thought she was going to *really* stop reading from your title. Signs, cereal boxes, etc. Now *that* would be interesting.

message 6: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 117 comments I don't understand people like the author of the article who'll read anything just for reading's sake and/or who don't have any hobbies -or a life- except for reading and end up spending hours and hours just staring at the walls when they don't have anything to read.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I don't consider myself an obessive reader like the author. I do things, go out, clean my house, etc. without having to read while doing it. Sounds like the author is trying to escape her life by distracting herself with reading. We all need an escape. It's certainly the reason why I read and why many others do so, but if you're trying to escape all the time you have a serious problem. With that said, I can't imagine not reading for an entire week even if it's just half hour of reading. I need that little bit of escape.

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex But I have down time, and books are constructive. What would I do on the subway if not for books? Play solitaire on my phone. In the evenings? Watch TV.

I'll stick with the books.

She missed the point; she shoulda challenged herself with a week of reading better books.

message 9: by El (new)

El I'm all for filling time with books, but like Alex pointed out, they should be good books.

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10060 comments Mod
Hahaha... I wont even look at that article because the thought it ludicrious!! That person cant be a real reader.. the thought of going without books is like trying to live without air.

message 11: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) I love reading books in down time, but I like doing other things too. It does sound a little disturbing that the writer of the article found the need to "escape" her life so much. (But I'll chalk it up to artistic exaggeration.)

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol What planet does she live on. Shall we tar and feather her.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex YES! TAR AND FEATHERS! UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!

Sorry, dog training gets me hyper.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 358 comments I could do it, I suppose....but I don't want to.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) You've got to be kidding! There is no way!

message 16: by Andreea (last edited Mar 05, 2010 04:42AM) (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 117 comments Alex wrote: "But I have down time, and books are constructive. What would I do on the subway if not for books? Play solitaire on my phone. In the evenings? Watch TV.

I'll stick with the books.

She missed ..."

I don't think watching TV is in any way less beneficial or less intellectually stimulating than reading books as long as you watch good movies/tv shows. Cinematography's an art just like literature. And while there are a lot of really bad movies/tv shows that are a complete waste of time, there also are really bad books that are nothing more than mindless escapism.

message 17: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 42 comments Kaion wrote: "I love reading books in down time, but I like doing other things too. It does sound a little disturbing that the writer of the article found the need to "escape" her life so much. (But I'll chalk i..."

It may have been depression. Some people will turn to alcohol or drugs to self-medicate, readers turn to comfort reads. Much less destructive overall, I think, and often you do find inspiration and courage in what you read to get ready and face life again.

message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex Andreea, good point, but I watch "Survivor." So much for quality.

(But seriously, I totally agree. "The Wire" is one of the best things that have ever happened.)

Mayakda, also a good point; this is why I like to drink and read at the same time.

message 19: by El (new)

El I'd rather see someone drunk-reading than drunk-driving. Good job, Alex!

message 20: by Alex (last edited Mar 05, 2010 06:58AM) (new)

Alex What I meant to say is that I like to drink, read and drive all at the same time.

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Alex wrote: "What I meant to say is that I like to drink, read and drive all at the same time."

LOL

message 22: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments Drunk reading.. I'll have to try that!!

message 23: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Marci wrote: "Drunk reading.. I'll have to try that!!"

I suppose you could use that for an excuse, if someone makes fun of a particular book selection - "Well, yeah, I read it, but I was drunk, so I didn't know what I was reading."

message 24: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 86 comments It's pretty bad when it's to the point when you have to stop reading in order to be productive. I feel like I'm not productive enough a lot of the time because I'm not reading enough! That is productivity for me :)

message 25: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) I totally agree with everyone here. Why give up reading? But I don't use it as a crutch to get through my day, it's just enjoyable. I did like the article though. Especially learning about the brain firing when you read action parts. Imagine if worked on your muscles too, you could just pick up an action novel and get ripped. I could quit exercising!

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 112 comments Fiona wrote: "http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/...

So, ever thought of giving up READING for a week? Imagine all those things you could do... like uhm??"

I generally only read at nite--my days are busy--so this no reading thing is not going to happen--I need to read at night to settle my head down.

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 112 comments if it were a busy week and i just didn't have time or too tired to read but to tell myself i couldn't would be death.--well not that bad but it would be a long week.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 112 comments like asking a man to go with out sports.

message 29: by El (new)

El Jayme wrote: "Especially learning about the brain firing when you read action parts. Imagine if worked on your muscles too, you could just pick up an action novel and get ripped. I could quit exercising!"

I have read that reading burns more calories than just watching TV. I wish I could remember where I read that statistic (and if my laptop wasn't on the fritz I would do a search for it), but it's out there somewhere.

Fiona wrote: "Has it ever happened that you've been forced a week without books? I sometimes go through book block - where maybe I don't actually read anything for a week but not for the lack of trying - I just don't enjoy the books I read or do not continue with the ones I start."

Ugh, a couple years ago I took a six-week summer course through the university - a French language course. It was pretty brutal and I was on a crazy schedule: Get up early, walk the dogs, get on the bus, be to work by 7:30 a.m., work all day, walk to class, study for 30 mins, class for approximately 2 hours, get on the bus, get home about 9:00 p.m., study for a couple hours, pass out. For six weeks I could not read for pleasure. And I hated everyone and everything for those six weeks.

But the first book I read after I finished the course (and aced the class, btw) was absolutely divine.

Incidentally, I remember very little of what I learned in class.

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol a few years ago. I did not read anything for about two years. I could not concentrate on reading. My life got back on course and I haven't stopped. I have to make up for those dry years.

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz Well, in terms of reading for school, if I don't do it for a week (which may happen to an extent if I have a paper), I fall way behind. I think at times I'm forced to give up reading for fun, and it sucks. I hate not being able to read because I have too much else to do. I love having non school-books in my room, because it reminds me of the wonderful things that await me after a hard day of essay-writing. That said, I love some of the books I read for school, so sometimes I definitely have the best of both worlds.

message 32: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) Sometimes I miss being in school. And then I remember all the reading for fun I had to miss out on...and the work, so much work.

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol Are you both, English or Literature majors ?

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason Cook (rytr_1) | 211 comments You know, there's a group on Facebook now called "I hate reading books" or something like that. I couldn't help but think that if the members of that weird group read this article, they would (incorrectly!) take it as justification of their position.

As if reading is some disastrous epidemic befalling our society, that prevents people from reaching out, from spending time with their families, from keeping their houses clean. As if reading is a crime!

"All right, Poindexter, we've caught you in the act this time! Hand over that copy of The Mill on the Floss, you filthy so-and-so! You're going to be locked away for a long time, Professor..."

I'd like to think that most readers have more balance in their lives than this article would have one believe. Maybe if she'd said she would only read for a short time per day and pledge to spend more time with her children in the time remaining? It's all about setting priorities.

I also like Alex's comment that she should have challenged herself to read better books.

message 35: by Jason (last edited Mar 07, 2010 08:20AM) (new)

Jason Cook (rytr_1) | 211 comments I have just taken a closer look and discovered there are not one, but three Facebook groups with the title "I hate reading books." Strangely enough, none of them have much of anything to say. Hmm...

Among the few comments I found on these groups:

"bokks r stupid" (I swear I'm not making this up!!)

"i hate it coz, the font is too small :p"

"Reading SUCKS! Books only contain clutter (extra words) that take forever to read and are way too time consuming--and the companies make an arm & a leg off of texts that contain 5% information you'll actually need for your average class!!!!!!!"

Sadly, one of those groups has 350+ members and another has a little over 100. *shrug*

message 36: by Alex (new)

Alex That's 450 people I don't have to care about.

I know why I read, Fiona. And my book list is too long to take a week off.

We almost ran out of books while traveling this spring. We had my Kindle and a stack of real books between us, and we read all the real ones. We were panicked.

message 37: by Carol (new)

Carol Unless you are in Timbuktu and I think even they have book kiosks now.

message 38: by Liz (new)

Liz carol (akittykat) wrote: "Are you both, English or Literature majors ?"
I'm an English lit major. I will say that last year and this year I've definitely been making more of an effort to read for myself.

I think it's so sad when people hate reading! I like to think that it's because they haven't picked up something they'll like, so sometimes if someone says they hate reading I'll subtley try to push something I think they'll like on them,

message 39: by Alex (new)

Alex We were in Cartagena, Colombia; there was exactly one shelf of English books in the city. We checked. Oh, we checked.

message 40: by Alex (new)

Alex Yeah, we were surprised too. I thought any major city would have at least five or six shelves of English books.

Liz, I was an English major too. Have fun not having any useful skills! No, you'll be fine.

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol When my children were just learning to read, there were books that you could choose your own ending. They really loved those books. They re-read them until all endings were exhausted.

message 42: by Jason (new)

Jason Cook (rytr_1) | 211 comments Choose Your Own Adventure. I loved those too.

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol They really honed their reading skills with those.

message 44: by Alex (new)

Alex Choose Your Own Adventure books! I loved those passionately.

My wife found a big stack of them in her parents' attic so we both got all nostalgic about them, but when I re-read a couple of them, it wasn't quite so awesome.

message 45: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) Alex, I had you pegged for a Biology major (like me) because of some of your books.

Oh my god! I forgot all about choose your own adventure. Those were the best. I had one where there was a really creepily drawn dragon that killed if you picked a certain way. It scared the crap out of me so I memorized which page he was on.

message 46: by Alex (new)

Alex If I had to do it again, Jayme, I might go with biology. I just like that stuff. What do you do? I hope it's really boring and lame so I can stop second-guessing my choice.

message 47: by Jayme (last edited Mar 07, 2010 10:33AM) (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) I work at an insect zoo, teaching kids about bugs, at least til the end of the month. Then my company is merging with a honeybee centre, so I get to fulfill one of my life's goal of learning to be a bee keeper! But I'll still be doing a lot of the teaching part, adding bee stuff to the other bugs I take care of.

What do you do?

message 48: by Alex (new)

Alex Goddammit, that's not boring and lame at all. That's totally awesome. I love bugs. Have you seen Attenborough's "Life in the Undergrowth"? That is the hottest footage of slugs having sex that I've ever seen.

I train kittens to be astronauts.

okay, I work at a financial magazine.

message 49: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) No, it's probably the only Attenborough I haven't see yet. Which I find funny.

Do you write for the magazine? Working for a magazine is cool! Maybe not as cool as kitten astronauts, but still cool. I think my dream job might be writing for a bug magazine. But how many of those are there...

message 50: by Alex (new)

Alex Nope! You'd think I would, right? The problem is that my magazine is soooooo boring.

Are there any bug magazines? If there are I might subscribe.

Dude, you have to watch Life in the Undergrowth immediately. It might be my favorite of them. It's so, so awesome.

And have you not read EO Wilson? I wish you would, so you could tell me whether I should do Ants or Superorganism first.

« previous 1