Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Would you go to a tanning place?

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think we touched on this subject once, but it's not showing up in the search, so I'm going to raise the question.

Would you go to one of those fake tanning places and/or spray...I don't know what the hell it is...fake take stuff on your skin?

I ask because I'm assuming that the tan people I see lately have not been out in the Wisconsin sun in their bikinis, but I've noticed at least three tan people in the last couple of days. I've heard people say they go to tanning places so they look tan when they arrive in a summery place on spring break. That sounds...hell, I don't know what that sounds to me. Are these people worried everyone will know they're from the upper midwest? Who cares?

Your thoughts?

message 2: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I live in Florida and I like being pale. It works for me. No fake tanning for me. But I have friends who do it/have done it (who live in Florida!), and to each their own.

message 3: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Oh alright. I admit. I go to a tanning place once a year in May right before I go to the beach for the week. I found this one kind of tanning bed which does not burn you no matter how pale you are. (I'm pale. I wear spf30, go outside for an hour, and spend the rest of the week in bed with 2nd degree burns*) So if I go to the tanning place a few times before the beach, I don't get burned on my vacation. As a bonus, when it rains the whole week I don't care because I'm already tan. Yes. I'm one of those assholes who think everyone looks thinner and sexier with a tan. I know it could kill me and will make me look old but I do it anyway. I quit smoking, alright??

*yeah ok I'm exaggerating a bit but I burn really easily.

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Look at me. Do I look like I need a tanning bed?

message 5: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 04, 2010 08:07AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh...so tanning ahead of time keeps you from burning later? I hadn't thought of that. Makes sense.

How tan is too tan, by the way?

message 6: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Gretchen's right. To have a base tan makes it easier to spend days on end outside, especially if you are pale.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have done that too prior to going somewhere that is really sunny and it is flippin' gray and cold here. if you get some sun first you def do not burn as easily and you don't have your time ruined by a first day burn. i have not gone that much but a few times. someone said "tanning beds will kill you" to shich i replied "so will artificial sweetners but i will look great in my coffin"

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have never tanned, real or fake. Redheads with tans just look goofy, like their skin is made up of interconnected freckles. I'm whiter than the driven snow (especially now that it's been around for several weeks - yuck). When I was a kid, my mother once used me to get out of a speeding ticket: "I was trying to get my daughter to the doctor! She's terribly sick! Look how pale she is!"

So yeah, no tanning fer me.

message 9: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Oh look! I'm not the paraiah I thought I was!

message 10: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 50 comments i live in indonesia,
we just have 2 seasons, summer and rainy.
there are a lot of beach here.
and our origin skin is Tan.
you could see Bali, Bunaken, Bangka Belitung, and so many place here that you can find to make your skin tan perfectly. Jakarta could be your destination too =)
visit and welcome in indonesia..

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Is it summer now in Indonesia? Cause I don't want to get there and find out I accidentally booked my trip for "rainy".

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori It's very true that if you were you're way up being out in the sun you won't burn but tan.

And Gretchen - I stay completely out of the sun now, because I was such a sun worshiper - the aim was to get darker than my hair which I did far too many times! I totally agree - us whiteys look so much better with a tan!

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:47AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Both spray and regular...is it regular? That go in the light box tan? Both. I didn't phrase that question very well, Buns.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Ah. Then I can blame you RA instead of my short attention span!

No, I never have gone, and never will go.

message 15: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have never gone to either variety and i don't think i will. i almost never burn and i only need a few days of sun to get a nice tan. now that it's winter i am a bit pale but nowhere near as pale as the real whites. i get that from my grandfather.

message 16: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I've gotten the spray tan once but it's disgusting. It makes your skin smell and feel bad.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments No fake tans for me, either kind. I tan easily, though.
And I know to slather on LOTS of sunscreen when I go to Hawaii, including on the part in my hair.
Learned that one the hard way...

message 18: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments I'm half Italian. I have an ethnic headstart.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I don't need to go, I turn brown after a few hours in the sun. I also think it is creepy to lay one's naked flesh right on light bulbs. Especially light bulbs that lots of other naked flesh lays upon.

message 20: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Sally wrote: "I don't need to go, I turn brown after a few hours in the sun. I also think it is creepy to lay one's naked flesh right on light bulbs. Especially light bulbs that lots of other naked flesh lays ..."

Just thinking about it makes me itch.

message 21: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments They have those rooms that you just stand in - if I were going to faux-tan, I'd do that, not a tanning bed. Because, like Sally (though she didn't come out and say this), I'm seriously doubting that the 19-year-old working the nearest tanning salon (and, literally, it seems these things are EVERYwhere) is going to clean one of those tanning beds to my satisfaction.

Sally, I almost split an infinitive there, but then decided against it.

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments I most always have a bicycling tan. It's like a farmer's tan on top, and tan just on the tops of the thighs ("top" as in "facing the sky when you ride") and backs of the calves on the bottom.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Thank you for clarifying which side was the top of your leg, Phil. I was confused for a moment.

::walks into wall, falls down::

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Well, if he hadn't clarified, we might have mocked him about tops of thighs actually being torsos.

In the summer I usually have a slight rider's tan (as much as I tan at all, which isn't much), which is a farmer's tan only with white hands from wearing gloves.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Point taken.

::stuffs kleenex into bloody nose::

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sometimes sally is the funniest girl i know

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) RandomAnthony wrote: "Oh...so tanning ahead of time keeps you from burning later? I hadn't thought of that. Makes sense.

How tan is too tan, by the way?"

message 28: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 50 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Is it summer now in Indonesia? Cause I don't want to get there and find out I accidentally booked my trip for "rainy"."

it's rainy here now, maybe the summer will come at april.
just ask me if there is somethin that you want to know again =)

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (asherly) I used to tan all the time. And its terrible because I live in FL and pay money to catch some of those deadly UV rays :P

I haven't tanned in quite a while and never will. It's so bad and plus the last time I went to a tanning bed, I turned orange and the stuff chipped away once it was on your skin.......Lol! Did I mention it's bad for you?

Needless to say, I'm super white at the moment but I'm alright with it. Its summer time anyhow. I'll make my way to the beach sooner or later (and with sun block!)

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I've used the tanning bed at the recommendation of my dermatologist for my psoriasis. It actually works... clears my skin right up. I use sunscreen instead of tanning lotions or oils - the trick is getting out before you've been in there more than 10 minutes. It's really easy to fall asleep in one, esp. right after work. I also always ask for some paper towels and disinfectant so I can wipe down the beds before I go in them and after I'm done, as a courtesy to the next person.

This is the first year in a while that I've not had a pool up the sidewalk from me or signed up for a tanning bed, so the skin's flaring up a bit much for my comfort right now. As much as I despise expending the time and energy to go to a tanning bed, I'm considering it. Either that, or I'll need to get a membership at a public pool. Eww.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Come to Australia Heidi. We have plenty of sun & you can sit by my pool any day! (maybe you should wait until spring)

message 32: by Barb (new)

Barb I used to tan a few days a week a few years ago ... but havn't bothered lately. I'm extremely pale, and don't take a tan ... so all that time & money spent gave me little more than a glow, which is nice, but not a tan.
I get the female version of a red-neck tan over the summer. I neglect to put on sunscreen then go spend the afternoon outside, burn where ever skin is exposed, and after a few of those I have a tank-top & shorts tan ... complete with flip-flop lines on my feet.

message 33: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments I love steak - well done, with some of the fat burnt to a crispy black - but I don't want my face to look like that.

Besides, I'm half Italian. I have an ethnic headstart.

message 34: by Bonnie (last edited May 11, 2010 12:48PM) (new)

Bonnie I'll never use a selftanner again. I'm embracing my pale skin for now on. Orange is never in.

Use sunblock people you don't want to turn out like the old hags.. I mean clients I use to do makeup on (worked for a makeup store back in college). Can you cover these age spots?? yeah maybe with a paperbag..Stay out of the damn sun.

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments There's nothing wrong with being in the sun, Bonnie. In fact, some people are prescribed sunlight for vitamin D deficiency. The problem comes with not using sunscreen.

message 36: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Heidi I'm not feeling the love from you today : (
I understand 15 mins of sunlight a day is actually good for you. I was referring to suntan worshippers. There is an increased percentage of people in my country suffering from Skin Cancer. Most people don't apply enough Sunscreen.

message 37: by Heidi (last edited May 11, 2010 07:51PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I was responding directly to "Stay out of the damn sun." in post 36.

I'm not picking on you, Bonnie... just giving my thoughts to your post. I'm a huge fan of the sun! :) I agree with you that most people don't apply enough sunscreen. I love to spend my lunch breaks in my backyard with the dogs (Ha! I mistyped that as "gods" twice) just soaking in a few minutes of sunlight and Mother Nature. It was raining today, so I didn't get any of it.

I'm glad you share your opinions and interests and stories here. Even when I don't necessarily agree with your opinions doesn't mean there aren't 3 other people out there who share your opinion and disagree with me. It all evens out in the wash. :)

message 38: by smetchie (last edited May 11, 2010 07:15PM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I just got back from the tanning place. I don't use those plastic ones you guys are talking about, though. I burn in those. (I burn wearing sunscreen.) My tanning place has the ones that are soft like a bed on the bottom. Talk about falling asleep!

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

They have those?
I've never been in one, or near one, but I imagine it to be like laying on a bed of lightbulbs.

But I have to chime in on the above angry conversation - I like the sun! I like laying in it and getting all toasty and sleepy warm and tan. Sue me.

message 40: by Barb (new)

Barb The only lay-down tanner I've ever been in was the hard kind that's just a sheet of glass over the bulbs ... didn't like it ... so I started booking my time in the stand-up unit instead. Much better.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24075 comments Mod
I went through about a 3-4 year sun worshipping phase in the mid to late 90s. Most of my tanning was done out of doors, but one year I did try to get a head start by going to several tanning sessions and lying on the bed. I will never go back to sun worship - mostly for health reasons but also I'm just not vain the same way I was then. I'm content to be pale now.

message 42: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Aug 04, 2010 10:14PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm another one of those ones that will go tan right before a vacation, just to avoid massively burning and ruining my trip (sunscreen only works somewhat on me). I only tan for a couple of weeks prior though, just to get a few shades darker. Soooo not fond of the "belt" look.

Otherwise, I like my pale skin and plan to keep it healthy by not tanning unless necessary.

I liked that orange person pic. There used to be a really good one in my online photo album that had a bunch of kids from Jersey lined up in prom clothes and every single one of them was orange. I wish that it hadn't gotten deleted.

message 43: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Phil wrote: "I most always have a bicycling tan. It's like a farmer's tan on top, and tan just on the tops of the thighs ("top" as in "facing the sky when you ride") and backs of the calves on the bottom."

My husband and daughter rode their bikes across Iowa last week (RAGBRAI) and their tans go from upper arm on down and mid thigh on down. Whiteys in the middle.

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I still haven't gotten any sun yet this summer. :(

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't wait much longer Heidi.

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments It's 110 outside right now, Jim.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

That would keep me inside too Heidi.

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Plus, it's about to rain - so hot AND humid (tornadoes will likely be in the state sometime within the next 3 days).