What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > Seeking Recommendations for Jane Yolen

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M— (new)

M— | 378 comments I just finished reading Jane Yolen's Sister Emily's Lightship and Other Stories and I loved it. I want to read more of her works, but she's such a prolific author with so many short-story collections, stand-alone novels, and series that I'm not sure where I want to start. Can any of you recommend some of your particular favorites?

I read and loved her Dragon Pit trilogy as a child, and I'm aware there is a fourth book now in the series (I'm on a waiting list for it at the library).

I read and loved her Briar Rose as an adult.

But I also recently read and didn't care for her Armageddon Summer.

Any suggestions, guys?

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments I want to read Briar Rose because I enjoyed The Devil's Arithmetic and they seem to have some things in common. I read it as an adult, but it's definitely aimed at ya/middle school.

Michelle Mulford | 112 comments Oooh, there's a fourth pit dragon book? I will have to get that also!

My particular favorites have already been mentioned, but I do like her Alta trilogy: Sister Light, Sister Dark, White Jenna, and The One-Armed Queen.

They can be a little hard to find in a library, but they're worth it. Yolen intersperses the "present day" story with poems and folk tales from the "future" and scholarly arguments from even farther into the future. I really came to love the multi-layered story, but it was a bit weird at first.

message 4: by M— (new)

M— | 378 comments Thanks, guys! I'll start from there.

message 5: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dkddm) | 3 comments I also loved Sister Light, Sister Dark, et al. But my favorite all-time Jane Yolen book is a children's book called Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland. The original hardcover edition is beautiful.

message 6: by M— (new)

M— | 378 comments Oh, yay! I'll definitely look up Greyling.

message 7: by Reginac1 (new)

Reginac1 | 5 comments Just finished Except the Queen co written with Midori Snyder and thought it started slow but got quite good as it went along. Can recommend it.