Classics Book Club discussion

This Month - Book Discussions > Anna Karenina Discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (hawkstar) | 73 comments Mod
Discuss Anna Karenina, one of our March 2010 books here.

message 2: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick I read this book already, so were there any questions you had in mind?

Personally, it was a very long read for me and didn't like/stand how the story just went on and on and on. Although I know some people really love this book, please shed some light on why it so good (if you fall into this category)

:0)

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

No, no specific questions. I figured people could just write what they thought about the book here-what they like/didn't like, favorite part, etc.

That's too bad. I'm probably going to start reading it here soon, and I'm hoping I'll enjoy it. It's a little daunting that my copy is 963 pages long though. XD

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) I just started reading, and right now I find what's happening to be hilarious. I can see how it could get tedious to read, though, just due to the writing style. But for now I'm getting a kick out of the prince's situation and how abashed he feels, or not really!

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) OK... I need to have a discussion about this work, little by little. What do you think about the infidelity within social terms of the time?

message 6: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick Rachel wrote: "OK... I need to have a discussion about this work, little by little. What do you think about the infidelity within social terms of the time?"

No different than it is today.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Alright. Do you know anything about the historical backdrop? This is really not my area, nor my country! I'm now involved in the Kitty matches... will it be Vronsky?? I am still really enjoying this book....

message 8: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick No not really, Russian history is not a strong suit, regardless still see society the same whether the late 1800s or today (21st century).

I won't spill the beans on that, you will have to continue reading and find out what happens. HeHeHe

:)

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Ok, ok!! :) I will keep reading... These men are so sappy... Who has all the time to only be thinking about feelings?? But it's what I enjoy about this lit anyway!

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) I'm still reading along... I like the book. But I also really want to begin the books for April. A lot of reading to do!!!

message 11: by Alyssa (new)

Rachel wrote: "I'm still reading along... I like the book. But I also really want to begin the books for April. A lot of reading to do!!!"

Good for you! I never even started Anna Karenina this month, even though I wanted to!
Glad you're liking it. :) Hopefully you'll finish it soon so you can get to the next book you want to read!

message 12: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick Here are a couple questions for group discussion I thought I would put out there. Answer all or just one, that is up to you.

NUMBER 1
How are we to understand the epigram "Vengeance is mine, I will repay"? Should Anna's fate be considered the result of God's vengeance? Is Anna's desire to take vengeance on Vronsky being condemned?

NUMBER 2
We are told that it is unpleasant for Anna to read about other people's lives because she "wanted too much to live herself" (p. 100). Why are reading and living placed in opposition to one another?

NUMBER 3
After telling her husband about her affair, why does Anna feel that "everything was beginning to go double in her soul" (p. 288)?

NUMBER 4
What keeps Dolly from having an affair like Anna's, even though she imagines one "parallel to it, an almost identical love affair of her own" (p. 609)?

NUMBER 5
Why does Tolstoy end the novel with Levin's musings about the nature of faith and his embrace of morally justifiable actions as the basis for the meaning of life?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Thank you for these questions... it movtivates me to keep reading so I can discuss them!