Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Buddy Reads) > Line of Scrimmage by Marie Force (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rossy (last edited Mar 03, 2010 10:23PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I dare you to put yourself in the heroine/hero's shoes! Would you have behaved differently?

Book: Line of Scrimmage
Author: Marie Force
Discussion: If i were him/her i would have done this...
Duration: 1 month
Plot:
He's a football star, and he'll do anything to win back his soon-to-be-ex wife. But her new fiancé will do anything to stop him ...

Rough and sexy Ryan Sanderson, Denver Mavericks quarterback, has just 10 days to convince Susannah to give him a second chance before their divorce is final. Too bad she's already engaged to the boring but safe guy she dated in high school before she met Ryan.

Marriage to Ryan was a whirlwind of passion and energy that left her feeling exhausted. Tired of playing second fiddle to his team, wary of the women throwing themselves at her superstar husband, afraid of the hard hits he took on the field, Susannah decided that sometimes the thing you want the most is bad for you.

Until Ryan comes back, determined to win her back, and willing to give up everything except her love...

When can we get started?

message 2: by Regina (new)

Regina Polli | 177 comments I love the plot and the dare, but it will be 6 weeks for me to get the book here in Brazil. Can I comment on it later?

message 3: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Go ahead, Regina. Exceptions have to be made when you have to wait that long. Boy if it were me i would have sued someone.LOL

message 4: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments Rossy you are very bad for my bank balance! You introduce me to new books and new authors and then I have to buy them! I don't even read sports books! LOL :) My copy should be with me in the next week or so.

message 5: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments :smirks: My job here is done!LOL

I need a little company on that department too, i already blew this months book budget and i'm barely a few days into it!

message 6: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (Book Geek Diaries) (neferteenie) | 25 comments You've got more company! LOL, I'm going to be joining in on this one too. I love the sports themed ones, so this one definitely caught my interest. I'm going to buy it this weekend, but have to wait for it to get shipped...so probably won't start it until sometime next week.

message 7: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Yes!!!
We'll wait for you!

message 8: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments My copy just arrived, but I'll wait till everyone else has theirs. It's not like I don't have a mountain of other books to read :)

message 9: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments I really want to read this! I may have to break down and order it, can't find it local. Sigh!

message 10: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB Aww. This sounds like an interesting book. I can't find on PBS and my library doesn't carry it. I'll put myself on the waitlist at PBS, but I won't be commenting anytime soon.

message 11: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Nairabell wrote: "My copy just arrived, but I'll wait till everyone else has theirs. It's not like I don't have a mountain of other books to read :)"

I wonder if Regina and Kristine got theirs already? Hopefully we can start it next week. Right now am reading another series and will need something to tie me over until new releases come out!

message 12: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Kim & Flib - If you can't find it in paperback perhaps you can do as i did and get it on ebook. Here's the link of one place you can buy it: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php...

message 13: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Sounds really interesting. Unfortunately, my library does not have it and neither does PBS.

Don't really read ebooks. : (

message 14: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (Book Geek Diaries) (neferteenie) | 25 comments I've got my copy now! Ready to start reading whenever you are!

message 15: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Woo hoo! I'm glad you were able to get a copy. How does the end of this week sound to you? I need to finish a few books am reading at the moment before we start this one. It will also give Regina a chance to see if she gets her book.

message 16: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments We're going to try and start reading this book at the end of NEXT week. So if you don't have your copy i hope you can get it by then and join us.

message 17: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Sounds really interesting. Unfortunately, my library does not have it and neither does PBS.

Don't really read ebooks. : ("

Bummer! Well if you're able to find it later on you can always come here and discuss it with us.

message 18: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments If anyone is interested, you can buy the book here:

http://www.amazon.com/Line-Scrimmage-...

There are quite a few inexpensive copies, both new and used.

message 19: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB I picked it up from amazon and started reading it last night. Read 60 pages, and I am enjoying the storyline so far :)

message 20: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments FlibBityFLooB wrote: "I picked it up from amazon and started reading it last night. Read 60 pages, and I am enjoying the storyline so far :)"

I'm glad you found a copy Flib!

If the rest of you are up for it, lets start reading the book tomorrow.

message 21: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB Woops! I didn't realize we hadn't started reading it yet. My mistake *blush*

message 22: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments That's because we didn't have a set date. I was waiting until at least most of us had our copies. It's not a problem that you started earlier, we had already talked about starting the book at the end of this week.

For our discussion though, try to put yourself in one of the main characters shoes while you're reading the book. Tell us what you think you would have reacted or done differently.

message 23: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB Finished the book. I'll be back to participate in discussion when it starts. In the meantime, here's my review if you're interested...

message 24: by Rossy (last edited Mar 29, 2010 01:01PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Sorry am late for the discussion but wow my week started a bit rough today.

Anyway, i really liked this book. Flib your review was right on and i'll be doing my own as soon as i can catch up on things.

I chose to put myself in the heroines shoes for this book, and am glad i did because i had a new perspective on such heroines. Normally i would have dislike this type of heroine because of the way they so easily can try to make themselves love someone else because they want their heart "safe".
Don't get me wrong, in real life i would have to agree, who really wants to be broken hearted twice? But wether in real life or not, to enter a relationship just because the person you choose next does not stir any passion is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion.

Now putting myself in her shoes, i wouldn't have let things get so far to a divorce. I think she could have avoided it just by simply grabbing her husband and hosing him with cold water until he paid attention to what she needed to say. Wether married or not, communication is a VERY important and that was something they were both guilty about. So many things would have been resolved with a thorough conversation.

message 25: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) Hey everyone,
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks so much for choosing Line of Scrimmage for your Dare to Read Challenge! If there's anything you want to ask me, fire away. Otherwise, I will butt out and enjoy your discussion. Thanks again for picking my book!
Marie

message 26: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Glad you could drop by Marie!

Are you by any chance planning to write about any of the other teammates? *GRINS*

message 27: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) Rossy,
I soooooo wanted to write Toad's book, but my editor wasn't into it. Maybe someday! I have a big idea for him!
Marie

message 28: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Ugh, those editors!LOL
I hope you can tell us his story later.

message 29: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) I've actually thought about doing it as a novella on my blog. Maybe I will someday!

message 30: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB Marie -- I really enjoyed the novel. I plan to read Love at First Flight, too. Have it sitting by my bedside table waving at me. It sounds very interesting as well. I appreciated your writing talent with making realistic characters. Thanks for writing the book :)

message 31: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) Aww, thanks so much and LOVE your handle, FlibBityFLooB! Fabulous name! I had such a good time writing Line of Scrimmage. Ryan was the most fun character to write. I really hope you enjoy Love at First Flight, which ironically, I wrote years before LOS. Funny, huh? That's publishing for you! I have a romantic suspense I'm REALLY excited about, Fatal Affair, coming June 21 from Harlequin's Carina Press as an ebook and then Everyone Loves a Hero in print early next year. I am so thrilled that you all chose LOS for your challenge. :-) I hope everyone enjoys it but don't worry about sounding off because I joined the group. I can take it! LOL

message 32: by Anne OK (new)

Anne OK (anne-ok) | 223 comments Hi, my name is Anne and Line of Scrimmage is one of my all-time favorite books. I'm a sports-related romance reader! Love as many as I can put my hands on. I really didn't know what to expect when I first picked LOS up in the bookstore but it certainly didn't disappoint. I got so much more than I ever imagined. Ryan and Susannah's story tugged at the heartstrings, along with some good fun, too.

Since reading LOS, I've also read Marie's Love at First Flight and enjoyed it as well. I'm looking forward to both of her new books. But LOS will always be on my keeper shelf!

I would very much like to be a part of this discussion group.

message 33: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) Thanks so much, Anne. I'm so glad you loved LOS so much!

message 34: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Hey Anne!

If you were to put yourself in one of the characters shoes, is there anything you would have done differently?

message 35: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments I managed to read this over the weekend, and I loved it (which given I have no idea what a 'line of scrimmage' even is was a surprise). I loved it. I put myself in the heroine's shoes while I was reading, and I've got to say I agreed with her most of the time. However, Henry is very lucky the heroine isn't more like me - if some guy grabbed me like that, he'd be lucky to keep his manly parts attached! I'd also have pressed charges over it.

Thanks for the dare Rossy - I'd never have found this book without you!

message 36: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments *laughs* Re: Henry-You and i both sister!

I'm glad you liked this selection. I have another little gem that i want to buddy read soon, check back on the dare thread soon and see if you want to join.

message 37: by Regina (new)

Regina Polli | 177 comments I loved the book! Thanks Rossy, if not for you I would never heard of it!
I decided to put myself in Ryan´s shoes… I think it was very courageous of him this blackmailed thing – it could backfired on him! I think I admired him for going after what he thought was right – the two of them are meant for each other and he decided to prove it to Susannah!
The reason I chose Ryan is that I think it is beautiful when you have the guts to say that you were wrong and that you regretted your actions and are looking for forgiveness. He is a lovely character and fought for Susie and their love with all he can.

message 38: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I agree, Regina. He stole my heart with how comfortable he was to admit his mistakes. He was so romantic and thoughtful, not to mention had some amazing skills *wink*.LOL
I love characters like him. One of the reasons why i wanted Marie to write about Toad. I think he would be fantastic and needs his story told.

message 39: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) I am giving that a lot of thought, Rossy. I have a story for Toad and it's looking like it might be a novella offered up on my blog. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words about Ryan. He was a joy to write.

message 40: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Please do. I rarely follow blogs, but for Toad's story i can make the sacrifice.LOL

message 41: by Anne OK (new)

Anne OK (anne-ok) | 223 comments Marie - that would be such a special treat for all your readers! And would Toad's story include a peek at how Ryan, Susannah and family are doing????

message 42: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (Book Geek Diaries) (neferteenie) | 25 comments I really liked this book, and how realistic the characters were. I will definitely be writing up a review for this soon. Thanks Rossy for this dare, or else I think I would've never have found this book!

I decided to put myself in Ryan's shoes, and I agree with Regina that it was very courageous of him to go through with his blackmail plan. It definitely could've backfired on him, and it definitely showed his desperation in trying to get Susannah to give their marriage a second chance. I also liked that, even though he loved her so much, he showed how hurt he was and did not just forgive her when she assumed the worst of him, after he had talked it over with her. And I don't think I would've behaved differently than he did in the novel. I put myself in Ryan's shoes just because of the simple fact that I thought it would be different to put myself in the male character's shoes, haha.

After buying this book, I had already put Love at First Flight on my wishlist because it sounded interesting. After reading this book, Love at First Flight is definitely on my to get list. :]

Marie - I would love if you wrote Toad's story, too! I wouldn't mind a peek at how things are going with Ryan and Susannah, either. :]

message 43: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) Hi again,
Yes, Toad's story would include appearances by Ryan and Susie. At the end of 08, I wrote an "After the Final Epilogue" story about them that you might enjoy. You can find it at http://mariesullivanforce.blogspot.co.... I love all your comments about the book. Let me know what you think of this extra story!
Marie

message 44: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) If that web address doesn't work for you, remove the period at the end.

message 45: by Regina (new)

Regina Polli | 177 comments Thanks Marie!!!

Absolutely lovely to see more of Ryan and Susie! I finished the book yesterday and I was already missing them!

Feel free to write more about them and share with us LOL.

message 46: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Thanks for the link Marie!

Kristine- I agree with everything you said. I was glad to see that as understanding and sweet as he can be, he did not let her off easy for doubting him after he had proved himself.

I bought, Love at First Flight last night. Marie, is Michael similar in any way to Ryan? It seems by some reviews like Juliana is more stubborn than Susanna. I'll probably want to strangle her throughout the book.LOL

message 47: by Arch (new)

Arch I have this book. I'll read it one day.

message 48: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) Regina, so glad you enjoyed the little story about Ryan and Susie. I loved how a few people said they'd shoot him if he was their husband and got them pregnant again so soon after giving birth! It was fun for me to imagine them with two babies in two years after what they went through before they reconciled.

Rossy, Juliana is very different from Susie (at least in my opinion). She makes a few moves that might make you mad, but in the end she does the right thing, and everything she does comes from a place of love and loyalty that runs very deep in her. Michael is similar to Ryan in that he knows what he wants and will do anything to get it. He is, however, much more subtle in how he goes about it. Whereas Ryan is very "in your face," Michael is more cerebral but no less devoted to the woman he loves. I think you'll like him. I was madly in love with him by the end of writing that book. As much as I adore Ryan, Michael is much more my type of guy. And wait til you guys meet Nick in Fatal Affair and Cole in Everyone Loves a Hero. Sigh... So many men, so little time! I think I need a cold shower after thinking about some of my favorite men! LOL! It's hard to remember, sometimes, that they are all just figments of my imagination. They become VERY real to me!

message 49: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Oh my, now i have that imagine of all those men in my head.LOL
Thanks for the description of Michael. I asked because i want to be in the right mood to read their book that way i can enjoy it as you intended. Hopefully i'll get to it soon though, right now i have so many other books in my plate...

message 50: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieforce) I hope you enjoy it when you get to it, Rossy!

« previous 1