Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Buddy Reads) > Sweet Magnolias by Sherryl Woods (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rossy (last edited Mar 31, 2010 04:04PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Are you up to the challenge of trying a new to me author/series?

Series: Sweet Magnolias
Author: Sherryl Woods
Discussion: Is the author's writing engaging? What do you like best about the book you're reading now?
Duration: 7 months (Plenty of time to finish at least 1 book per month)
Books available: 7
Order:
1. Stealing Home
2. A Slice Of Heaven
3. Feels Like Family
4. Welcome To Serenity
5. Home in Carolina
6. Sweet Tea at Sunrise
7. Honeysuckle Summer

I'll be starting this series within this week or next. It will also be the first time i try this author. I double dare you, to encourage and finish it with me !!!

Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1) by Sherryl Woods A Slice Of Heaven (The Sweet Magnolias #2) by Sherryl Woods Feels Like Family (The Sweet Magnolias #3) by Sherryl Woods Welcome To Serenity (The Sweet Magnolias #4) by Sherryl Woods Home in Carolina (The Sweet Magnolias #5) by Sherryl Woods Sweet Tea at Sunrise (The Sweet Magnolias #6) by Sherryl Woods Honeysuckle Summer (The Sweet Magnolias #7) by Sherryl Woods

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments Sounds like an interesting series....I will get this done in 4 months as well!

message 3: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Yay, i have company! When are you planning on starting it?

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments Probably next week....perhaps monday or tuesday. I have a couple of other titles to finish first! :)

message 5: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments I'm in too! My Stealing Home is coming from the US so I can't start for a couple of weeks. The seller I'm getting it from is pretty good though, so hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments I was looking at Sherryl Woods website and it looks like 3 more books in this series are being published in the US .... April, May and June of this year. Would you be interested in trying to tackle all 7 books?

message 7: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Oh goodie, that gives me some time to finish some books i have loaded on my ereader as well. So lets plan for some time next week.

Nairabell, you can join us when you get the book at any time. I think as long as we finish the first book within the month or so it'll be fine.

You know Erin, i'm actually planning to read those as well, i just didn't want to overwhelm anyone. So if you want to do all 7, am game! We should be able to finish them all in 7 months.
For now lets leave it at 4 books for everyone else. That way they don't have to commit themselves to finishing more if they end up not liking the author or series.

message 8: by Alexis-Morgan (new)

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 36 comments I am sooo close to wimping out. I read, "Steel Magnolias," and instantly cringed. OK. I'll check out her site.

message 9: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Sweet Magnolias, Alexis. Not Steel!LOL
Come on be strong, we'll support each other through it! You'll also have someone to rant with about the author or series.

message 10: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (Book Geek Diaries) (neferteenie) | 25 comments I think I'm going to join in one this one, too. Haha But I'll probably start this one a little later...

message 11: by Dalene (new)

Dalene  | 82 comments I'm in. I have three of the four books sitting on my shelf at home. I've wanted to try her as an author for a while. Thanks for the push...oh dare!!

message 12: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Kristine wrote: "I think I'm going to join in one this one, too. Haha But I'll probably start this one a little later..."

It's a series so we'll be reading this one for a few months. Join us when you're ready!

message 13: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Dalene wrote: "I'm in. I have three of the four books sitting on my shelf at home. I've wanted to try her as an author for a while. Thanks for the push...oh dare!!"

Yeap, that was my case. I'm glad i could help, though you guys are really helping me! I need to clean up my TBR a little.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments I just started the first book, I am about 2 chapters in....not bad so far!

message 15: by Dalene (new)

Dalene  | 82 comments Finished the first book. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to read the second book of the series. I really enjoyed her story of friendship, romance, and family relationships. And all of it in a small town.

message 16: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I'm going to start the first book tonight myself! Lets see how it goes for me.

message 17: by Krisden (new)

Krisden | 45 comments I'd like to join in on this one. Oddly enough I just checked the first 3 books out at the library a couple of weeks ago and haven't started them yet. She's a new author for me and I was totally hooked by the covers of these books!

message 18: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Welcome aboard, Krisden! I just started it reading it tonight so we have yet to start any discussions on it.
Feel free to vent on about the characters or the author. I already want to strangle the heroine's ex-husband.

message 19: by Dalene (new)

Dalene  | 82 comments Oh the ex-husband is great! He just doesn't get it. Ever!! Hope you both enjoy the read.

message 20: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Wow i have to agree with you Dalene about the ex husband, the man was clueless....well up until the end.LOL

I really liked the book and i like the author's writing a lot too. We get a different perspective on what happened on Maddie's and her ex's relationship. It was nice to get both sides and see how it deteriorated without it taking too much space.

I also LOVED Cal. He was tenacious and a man not afraid of his feelings. He thought things through before acting, but the most important part was how considerate he was. Particularly towards Maddie's children.

I honestly cannot wait for the next book! I read some mix reviews here though so i hope it's as good as this one, if not better.

message 21: by Dalene (new)

Dalene  | 82 comments I thought Cal was wonderful. What a way to stick up to his boss. And then for Ty to pull his weight at the board meeting. It was just really great!

message 22: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments He sure was! Are you starting the second book tonight? I wish i could but am doing a re-read on the first book on the BDB series today. I should be done soon though and then i can find out about Dana and Ron!

message 23: by Dalene (new)

Dalene  | 82 comments No. I have some other books I need to get done first for other challenges. I will start it as soon as I can. I can't wait to see what else happens. Thanks for the dare!!

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments Okay I really really enjoyed Stealing Home....I am starting the next book right after I finish this post! I thought the story was really intriguing and it was fantastic to see how a group of different women stick up for one another in a small town atmosphere. I also loved Maddie's mom.....she was really a neat lady to learn about!

message 25: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I have to agree, Maddie's mother was great!

You'll kind of notice a theme with the characters as you read along. The women tend to be quite stubborn and independent, so if you like those heroines you'll truly enjoy the rest of the books.

The men in the other hand are fantastic from the beginning. Not afraid to own up to their feelings and do anything in their power to make the heroine feel loved. I tried to figure out who was the most husband worthy and it was kind of impossible to make a decision.LOL

I'm kind of bummed that i read the books already released so quickly. Now i have to wait until the end of the month for the next release. The worst part is that i have the May and June releases for review, and if it wasn't for my OCD i would have read them already.

message 26: by Dalene (new)

Dalene  | 82 comments Maddies' mother was a great character. I found it very interesting that she supposedly wanted nothing to do with her grandchildren, but took them on and they adored her. Maybe just a relationship problem between Maddie and her mother?

message 27: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Yes, if i remember correctly it had something with her realizing how she neglected Maddie for her art. I also think the kids just won her over and they were no longer in diapers.LOL

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments I got the feeling that the mother feel in love with the kids, but also she was happy to help once Bill was out of the picture and CAl was in it:)

message 29: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments True, she really didn't like Bill.

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments Okay well I have finished hte first three books, just started the fourth book!!!! Loving this series, worried about finishing too quickly though....

message 31: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Yes, that was my problem as well. Now am anxiously awaiting for the 30th so that i can buy the 5th book, Home in Carolina.

message 32: by Krisden (last edited Mar 22, 2010 03:26PM) (new)

Krisden | 45 comments Well, I finished reading Stealing Home late last week and am now about halfway through A Slice of Heaven. I REALLY like this series - and initially picked it up because of the cover. So yes, apparently I do judge a book by its cover (hanging head in shame)!

As far as the book goes, I gotta agree Bill was an idiot! At least he sorta came to his senses in the end! I enjoyed reading about the spa and hope she will incorporate more of it in later books.

I really like the small town atmosphere and the bond these three women share. I'm excited to see how A Slice of Heaven will end and then on to Feels Like Family. So, it's official - I'm hooked on the Sweet Magnolias series!

message 33: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Hey, you're not the only one to judge a book by its cover. If a book has an ugly cover it better be highly recommended for me to buy it.

The author does show more about the Spa and the restaurant on the later books. I also have to agree that the small town and the friendship between the women was what really hooked me in the first book.

Later on we notice that the man are not far behind on their own frienship with the other husbands, or love interests. The best though, is the connection the author shows between the married couples as each book progresses. That is for me totally sigh worthy.

message 34: by Krisden (new)

Krisden | 45 comments Just finished A Slice of Heaven the other day. I enjoyed it but not as much as Stealing Home. Personally, I got kind of tired of all the 'darlin' and 'sugar' talk from Ronnie. Nothing wrong with a good 'ol boy but it was just too much for me. Started Feels Like Family and already I can tell I'm going to like the story much more than A Slice of Heaven.

message 35: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments At least you only had some trouble with the name calling. I had a hard time liking Dana until about half way through the book.LOL

message 36: by Krisden (new)

Krisden | 45 comments Well, I didn't want to sound too catty but I didn't care for Dana Sue that much in her book. In Maddie's story and now in Helen's I find she's much easier to take. But in her own, she just wore me out! LOL! I'll put the claws away now!

message 37: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Not catty, but truthful. I wanted to shake and at some scenes slap her. I have no trouble with a heroine who's very independent, but she was in such a high level as very stubborn bordering on stupidity. Funny thing is she made me love Ron all the more!

How are you dealing with Helen? I saw some mix reviews regarding what she did to accomplish her "mission". Honestly, i expected not to like her when i started the book but i understood her reasons. Though her methods were wrong, as her friends pointed out. Not so bad to the point that i stop enjoying the book thankfully.

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments Book 5 in the series is on its way from Amazon....I really cannot wait! I am so excited to see what happens with Ty and Annie.....woo hoo!

message 39: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments I have become very addicted to this series. I really enjoyed all four books because I was able to find female personalities I enjoy (Helen) and those I didn't so much, (Dana). It should be really fun to see what is happening with the kids now that the series is going to be focusing on them.

message 40: by Rossy (last edited Mar 28, 2010 05:26PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Erin wrote: "Book 5 in the series is on its way from Amazon....I really cannot wait! I am so excited to see what happens with Ty and Annie.....woo hoo!"

I want to read it as soon as it becomes available, so i pre-ordered mine as an ebook through booksonboard. So come Tuesday i'll be reading that book as soon as the link becomes available.LOL

message 41: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Erin wrote: "I have become very addicted to this series. I really enjoyed all four books because I was able to find female personalities I enjoy (Helen) and those I didn't so much, (Dana). It should be really..."

I'm addicted to them as well, even bought 3 other books from the author's Chesapeake Shores series. I will be trying those soon as am done with this series.

I can't wait to find out about that generation either. I wonder for how long she'll stretch the series.

message 42: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Just finished Home in Carolina and although i enjoyed the book i have to say the heroine was too much like her mother to my liking. Although i didn't warm up to Ty as fast as i did with Ron, i did have to admire the effort he put him with everything that was going on in his life. The best part was Trevor for me, i could understand why Annie couldn't help but yearn for that boy to be hers. He was just too cute for words.

There were some interesting things that started the development for the next 2 books as well, which i'm thankful that i have so that i can start on those soon.

This new generations of Magnolias is just getting started on their bonding since they were apart for so long, but i can't wait to see how the margarita nights get in the next book. I wonder if there will be a margarita night with both generations, that would be fun to see.

message 43: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments I've only just managed to get a chance to read Stealing Home - and then had general weird feelings towards it as Bill could be a copy of my Dad when my parents got divorced! On the whole I loved the book, and I'm really looking forward to reading the rest.

message 44: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Oh my, did you react to him the same way Ty did? Even on the last book i read Bill is still kind of clueless about feelings. He seems to regret that he doesn't have a wife like Maddie used to be at the beginning of their marriage, but it's not even really about her.

message 45: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments Nope, I was like Annie is described to be - applauding. I thought my Mum was nuts for not divorcing my Dad sooner. He has an issue with anyone who has a different opinion to him - and I started expressing my opinions at 2, so to say we never got on is an understatement! I was, however, Ty's age.

The main thing that grabbed me was the 'she's my special friend' bit! I heard that one more than once - along with 'she wants to be your friend'.

I do agree with you - Bill's oh-my-gosh-I-want-you-back bit at the end of Stealing Home didn't ring true to me either. It was more of a 'grass is greener' thing - he thought Noreen was a better choice than Maddie, right up till he had her and then he changed his mind!

message 46: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments You know, the cheating came up on the first 2 books and then again on Home in Carolina. I actually stopped reading the book around the middle to try and examine my feelings on the subject.

When i was younger i remember thinking that just the mistake of my partner cheating, even if it was only once, would have ended the relationship. As i have grown older and seen how hard people have to work in a marriage, my views have changed a bit. Cheat on me once...lets see if we can work on our relationship and see if staying together is worth it. Twice or more is not a mistake but a bigger problem, like we shouldn't be together.

I think that's why in Dana's book i didn't dislike Ron outright. Ty was another story. I think what saved him was that him and Annie were not married or in a deeply commited relationship. Perhaps it was due to their age, but they never sat down and said "we're exclusive". So although i was disappointed on his behavior, i was not all that surprised and didn't hold a grudge.

message 47: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Has anyone read any of the rest of the books this month?

message 48: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments I am starting Sweet Tea at Sunrise today!

message 49: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Woo hoo, finally somebody will join me on that discussion! *sigh* That's what i get for being impatient and reading them all too quickly.LOL

message 50: by Erin (new)

Erin Christmas | 57 comments Okay I just finished Sweet Tea at Sunrise...I got distracted with work and wasn't able to start it until this morning. Since I am already finished with it, you can tell I really enjoyed this book. I thought the Travis character was quite believable and made for a very interesting romantic lead. His plan to help revitalize downtown Serenity with the radio station was quite unique as well.

I loved the interaction and reconciliation between Sarah and Walter for their children. I thought how they did not get back together, as many of the other divorced couples in this series have, was an excellent change in pace.

A very solid 4 stars for me. 4.5 if I could give that!

« previous 1