Lord of the Rings Fans discussion

The World of Lord of the Rings

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

K. M. R. (moisoha) | 728 comments Mod
As I just joined this group, and it seems to be the most active, I think it's time I livened up the conversation.

First off, as the topic states, what do you think of the world that Lord of the Rings takes place in: Middle Earth. As this is a book group, I'm refering to the world in the book because i find it much different than in the movie.

I find this world interesting. It's obvious that J.R.R. Tolkien really took a lot of time creating this world, which explains why he wrote this when he was so old. Soem things are a bit cliche and confusing, but overall I like it. It makes me wonder what the rest of the world looked like. What about all of you guys?

message 2: by Aurora (new)

Aurora (aurora_mandeville) | 9 comments I've always wondered if Narnia was connected to Middle-Earth. XD Now I'm not so sure as Tolkien had said that his world was round and Lewis said that his world was flat. But it would make for an interesting story, wouldn't it? XD

message 3: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) | 861 comments Mod
Well after all, Tolkien was great friends with Lewis. Also, they both drew from ancient mythologies: Norse, Greek, etc. so that would have something to do with it. Lord of the Rings was also meant to provide a made-up history of Britain, and also just for fun: Tokien loved history, and was a philologist; hence the many languages of Middle Earth.
It was not cliche at all when he first wrote it; as a matter of fact, one reviewer said something like it was in a one-book genre.
Have you read Silmarillion? In it, Tolkien gives a lot of back history on Middle Earth, the mythology of the elves and whatnot. It's kind of dry, more like a history book then an adventure novel, but worth it if you're a die-hard Middle Earth fan.
I'm new too, BTW.

message 4: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

Hah. I love history, and Tolkien's my favorite writer. That fits doesn't it?I have tried a few times to get through the Simarillion. I think I'll have another go at it once I've read the series over again.

Teh only thing I found kind of cliche was the black riders. I liked them though, they're meant to be cliche.

message 5: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

That's true. Sauron himself was a little disappointing, too, since we never really saw him.

message 6: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

That did make me sad. I would have liked a good description of him, but I guess that does kinds put an interesting twist on the orgional storyline. What did you think of the elves. I thought they were some of the best part, especially Legolas.

message 7: by Cece (last edited Mar 05, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

Cece I liked them but I personally liked the Dunadenine espicially Aragorn

message 8: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

Ah yes! i loved them. Such interesting history nc characterization.

message 9: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Now, if we could have Elven Dunedaine, that would be the best of all possible worlds.

message 10: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

I do wish Legolas had a larger role in the book. It seems like all he does for at least the first book and most of the second is say "I see ____" (fill in the blank with some evil creature) or "I sense ____" if you know what I mean.

message 11: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

My favorite line of his is when they're stuck in the mountains by Redhorn Pass and he jumps on the snow and tells Gandalf he's going to go find the sun.

message 12: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (last edited Mar 05, 2010 05:38PM) (new)

Yeah that's a good one... but I have to say my favorite scene with him is the battle at Helm's deep, where he and Gimli are keeping count of orcs they've slain. "Fourty-one." "Not bad for an elf princling... Fourty-two."

message 13: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

I'm so excited about the upcoming Hobbit movie!

message 14: by Cece (new)

Cece what???

message 15: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

U didn't hear? Well, it's being produced by MGM's Guillermo Del Toro and will be in two or three parts. It'll probably come out around Christmas 2011. A site with info on this is http://the-hobbit-movie.com/ Too bad Peter Jackson isn't doing the producing, but still I'm excited!

message 16: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

I do like that idea, that they're doing it in multiple movies. I wish they did that with the regular movies.

message 17: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (last edited Mar 06, 2010 03:00PM) (new)

Yeah, it's difficult to truly develop characters in two hours.

message 18: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

I know! It really bugs me

message 19: by Cece (new)

Cece Same. you want to know what happened to some of them in the end.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 277 comments Mod
you should read the apendices in the back of the return of the king, some of it is just language and histroy/family tree stuff, but there are also parts about what happened after the war, there is even a section where it goes over the story of Aragorn and Arwen from begining to end...very sweet <3

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite part of Aragorn and Arwen's tale in the Appendix A Part V is how they met. It's so cool how Tolkien made their meeting so similar to that of their ancestors Beren and Luthien. :D

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate | 277 comments Mod
yep! i read somewhere i think that he did that on purpose...Tolkein is the master of love lol

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I bet he did...I just think that was sheer genius of him. :D The master of love, indeed. One interesting concept he could have explored was the love life of Eowyn and Faramir. *That* I would *definitely* read.

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate | 277 comments Mod
omg...i was totally thinking about that last night...that is indeed one of my favorites...and so little is known and said about Faramir its sad...i was working the other day (at the library) and a co-worker said that Faramir was overrated! :( my heart just broke...

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate | 277 comments Mod
P.S HI TWIN!! (From Lindsay)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL HI TWIN!!! :D miss ya and am lovin' y'all roleplay posts! **mumbles in Dwarvish about how unfair life is** :D I am quite jealous, but I love reading your writings; quite enjoyable. :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

To Kate (or is that Lindsay?): **gasps in utter shock and bewilderment** My heart hast shattered at such awful, heartless words! If said co-worker was thinking of the New Line Cinema Faramir, then he/she has not *known* Faramir!! Tell him/her to read the book!! :)

message 28: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Indeed! Faramir is probably one of the best characters in the book. He was sooo totally misrepresented in the movie. It's depressing.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I KNOW!! Another irritating thing is how they misrepresent Legolas. In the book (which I am rererererereading right now), he is more outgoing and happy--not Captain Obvious and pseudophilosophical. xP In the book, you actually *don't* like making fun of him, because he's so cool! In the movie, he's just so...pretty and fru-fru. :P It's annoying!

message 30: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

i know... it feels like all he does in the movie is point out whatever's coming to get them- "Crebain!" "A Balrog!" "Orcs!" ugh. But at least they gave him some great fight scenes!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah...although even in them, he seems too show-offy and "lookit me, I'm an Elf and sooo awesome!" but hey...he's still cool! :D

message 32: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

"Hmmm... I think I'll singlehandedly take down a Mumak. Wonder if I can do it without ruining my hair..."

message 33: by Cece (new)

Cece haha very funny

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

"Or without getting another Elvish spot on my forehead" xD

message 35: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Right, because those last 500 years.;)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

indeed!

message 37: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

I do Love Legolas in the books so much more than the movies. I'm sorry but there's something about Orlando Bloom I just don't like. And Faramir! He sound like such a bad guy in the movies when he's awesome!!! And he acts kind of like an attention-deficit little kid.

message 38: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Probably the saddest thing is how they ruined the relationship between Sam and Frodo. That was really the purest friendship in the books, and then they had to make Gollum come between them in the movies. It didn't seem in accordance with their personalities/characters.

message 39: by Lindsay, aka...Dera the chatterbox (new)

Lindsay (a_rachelle) | 776 comments Mod
Yeah, and Frodo did not seem so schizoid in the books as he was in the movies.

message 40: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

I agree.

message 41: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

I kinda liked that the ring took more effect on him in the movies though. I found that it was a good twist... but a bid one too if you get my meaning.

message 42: by Lindsay, aka...Dera the chatterbox (new)

Yeah that is true...

message 43: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

I meant bad one. Sorry I'm just typoy.

message 44: by Lindsay, aka...Dera the chatterbox (new)

Typo Goblins vex us all :P

message 45: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

Yes they do. And I have like five of them vexing me at one time.

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate | 277 comments Mod
the best part however in the movies...and i congratulate P.J on this...is the part where Sam is talking about the story they are in...about how years from now everyone will want to here the story of Frodo Baggins and his ring...and then Faramir says "I believe now Frodo we understand each other" that part brings tears to my eyes everytime!

message 47: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

Oh my gosh that is sooo true!

message 48: by Cece (new)

Cece yes!! OMG im watching the return of the king right now and i just watched that part!

message 49: by Cece (new)

Cece oops sorry i mean the two towers.

message 50: by Val (new)

Val Michelotti | 1 comments If you ever watch the movies with the director's comments, you can tell these guys did their homework. I've heard that even the actors got so into it that they began to change the script the day they shot certain scenes because they had been reading the books and "felt the characters would do this instead." hooray for well-researched renditions! Not to mention their matching tattoos..

« previous 1