Clean Reads discussion

Is It Clean? > Jodi Picoult

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mejojac) | 50 comments I have never read anything by Jodi Picoult, but I know that some of her books contain some pretty graphic scenes and foul language. Are all of her books that way? I am asking this because she has a new book out, "House Rules" and I am thinking about reading it. It's about a boy with Asperger's Syndrome who is accused of murder. As a mom of a child with Autism, I'm curious to see how she has written this book. But, I don't want to read it if it's just going to be trash.
So, can anyone give me information about her overall as an author? Should I just steer clear? Or is it possible that I could give it a shot? The book came out today... so there's not a lot of info about it here on goodreads.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrear) I've read two of her books and won't be reading anymore - my reason is too much foul language - the ones I read weren't too graphic, just terrible language.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin | 14 comments I've only read one book by Jodi Picoult, Vanishing Acts, that I picked up in an airport bookshop. I liked the story, but she did put in some very graphic descriptions of things that happen to someone in prison. It left me with some mental images I wish I could erase. I haven't felt like wading through anything like that again so I've left her writing alone. It's too bad, the story was interesting and well-written, but not worth it.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda I have read Handle With Care, Nineteen Minutes and Second Glance. Yes, there is strong language and images, but what I decided was that overall her writing is too sensationalist for me. She seems to overdo everything or throw in a curve ball that doesn't flow with the story just to get reactions or manipulate reader's feelings. When it's too obvious, I do not appreciate that tactic.

This might not be very kind of me, but if I had an Autistic child I would, based on my experience with Picoult, definitely not read her book. I would expect it to affect me too negatively for a long time.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mejojac) | 50 comments Thanks for your feedback and input. I think I'm going to pass on this book...

And Brenda - your thought was not unkind. If she does overdo things and try to make it very sensational and manipulative, then you're probably right. It would just make me angry. :) I appreciate your opinion!

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (terricb) | 35 comments Just a belated post-discussion post ... I have also read 2 of Jodi Picoult's books - "My Sister's Keeper" and "Plain Truth". Both of these also had strong language and unnecessary intimate scenes. And I agree that Picoult is sensationalistic.

I do, however, appreciate that she often gives the reader both points of view on a subject and although she really does manipulate your heartstrings, I do want to know how things feel....so, that said...although they may not be my favorite books, I feel that I learned a lot through the journey. But, I certainly don't know many people I can recommend them to....at least without warnings on the language, etc...!

And, for any of you who are interested in "My Sister's Keeper", the ending is stupid and pointless and leaves you wondering why....?!!! LOL!