British Literature discussion

Current Book Discussions > Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Mar 03, 2010 11:09AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I will start the discussion for this. I have a tiny edition of this book (3 x 5 inch) from Little Barefoot Books. It does have the original illustations. I've dropped it into my purse to read when I'm in a waiting room, waiting for the kids to get out of school, etc. Only one chapter in so far.

message 2: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 32 comments I have to pull it out the back of my closet, but I remember most of it.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I read it so many years (or decade) ago that I've forgotten alot of details, remembering mostly characters.

What I can say is the new Tim Burton movie looks hideous in the trailers.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Pyles (buckskin) | 4 comments Just read Alice in Wonderland after I saw the Tim Burton movie. I must say that I did indeed enjoy the movie but it does not keep the same story line as the book. Fighting the dragon at the end of the movie gives Alice the courage to say she does not want to have a prearranged marriage to someone that she does not love. The queen of hearts was excellent and the mad hatter was excellently played. Just keep in mind that they are fairy tales that take place in the Victorian area. Lewis Carrol is telling stories to 3 girls that were the daughters of a close friend of his. These were not the traditional fairy tales of the time. Enjoy them both!! Linda

message 5: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 32 comments When the Hatter starts talking about time and how he got offended, it brings to mind:

"I wasted time, and now doth time waste me" -King Richard II

I like the tea party part of the book, though I think my favourite thing of the book was before the Caucus race, when the mouse talked about William the Conqueror, saying it was the driest thing he knew.

message 6: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 32 comments I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was good. I liked when Alice was trying all the doors, it was more like the book than most of the other movies.

I haven't read 'Through the Looking Glass' in a while. I remember liking it just a tad better than 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland', but then I am a chess kook, so there you go.