Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Group Read Discussions > Anita Blake - Early books vs. Later books

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
Anita Blake has gone through such a transformation from the first books to the later books. What do you think about this transformation?

I've enjoyed (almost) all of the books but the first few were my favorite. I enjoyed the mystery that surrounded them and I miss Anita fighting an outside bad guy instead of her many changes & own men.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 77 comments I did not realize how much I had forgotten about her start until I re-read this. I forgot how she used to fight creatures from the old stories and whatnot, long before the books became a sex fest. I like the books, but I have not been happy with the over-all story lines of late, and I hope the series will conclude with book 20. I have read other series' that I finaly gave up on after a while because they were pushed to long.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 44 comments not far enough along in the series to have an opinion. Though I like erotica so maybe I will like it. I know a lot of people dont

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 60 comments I think that there are elements of both the earlier books and the later books that I like.

For me, part of the problem with a series that continues (seemingly without end)is that there become way too many "main" characters and the story lines go from twisted to "I need a story web to figure this freaking thing out."

Anita and her boys are great, but I'm getting a little burnt out. I didn't like the last few books as much and there are just too many men in Anita's life! She's done the unthinkable and seems to be surpassing Merry in that department!

message 5: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 29 comments The do I get annoyed with Anita's development but not because of the gratuitous sex, which I think is fine as a gender reversal of the James Bond archetype. What annoys me is that it feels like Anita gets more and more narcissistic as the series progresses.

message 6: by Shanon (new)

Sarah wrote: "For me, part of the problem with a series that continues (seemingly without end)is that there become way too many "main" characters and the story lines go from twisted to "I need a story web to figure this freaking thing out."

That's exactly the same for me. I liked the earlier books that had set mysteries to be solved. Once the story line started rambling around I have liked them less. I think if each book were working towards something (like the Merry series) it would be much better for me. Don't get me wrong though - I'll keep reading the Anita books because I just gotta know how many powers, animals and men she can accumulate.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 77 comments I agree with Shannon. I don't object to the sex fest, it's just that how many more men can she have at once? I mean really. I would like to see one of two things, 1) we get some more solid plots happening or 2) she ends the series at book 20, with a final showdown with Marmie Noir.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 60 comments I think that sounds great to me! I have always wondered if Anita might take her place as the biggest baddest vamp...?

I like the guys, but it gets irritating that they all have to share. Plus, it is overwhelming to the reader to have to follow each guys' individual story line and what exactly they mean to Anita. Hmmm...if there was some sort of end-all battle, I wonder who (of her guys) would survive?

message 9: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 29 comments Sarah wrote: "Hmmm...if there was some sort of end-all battle, I wonder who (of her guys) would survive? "
What a fun question! My votes would be:
Who Lives: Jean-Claude, Edward
Who Dies: Richard
Everyone else is negotiable.

message 10: by Shanon (new)

Edward would definately survive! He's such a tough guy. Him being one of my favorite characters doesn't have anything to do with that guess though ;)

message 11: by Kim (last edited Mar 06, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 77 comments Richard is a whiny brat who has screwed himself six ways from Sunday by denying what he is. The only thing he has going for him is that he put an end to Raina and her sick puppy ways. I vote for Asher, Edward,Nathniel, and the cops to live.

I think Jean-Claude is a survivor no matter what.

message 12: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) Having just reread the first few books in the series I've realized how much more focused they were. With some of the newer books it was nearly impossible to write up a review because they meander all over the place and don't really have a focus. The earlier books were focused on some sort of mystery which Anita had to solve. The newer books just go on and on without much happening besides sex and power struggles. I don't mind the sex but when there isn't a real storyline it gets old fast.

message 13: by Literary Ames (last edited Mar 05, 2010 12:49PM) (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 77 comments BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Having just reread the first few books in the series I've realized how much more focused they were. With some of the newer books it was nearly impossible to write up a review because they meander ..."

I agree. I loved the early books so much. I haven't liked the ones after Incubus Dreams but I keep reading if not buying them, I can't stop myself. Skin Trade was a little better with less sex and an actual criminal case to work on but Flirt was terrible despite going back to Anita's roots of zombie raising - she's getting too arrogant and I'm afraid she's going to the dark side. If she does will Edward turn against her and try to take her out? That would be interesting.

LKH has all ready said there will be casualties in Bullet and from what she's posted in her blogs and on Twitter I'm fairly certain the following will survive:

Micah (he is not a "disposable character")
Nathaniel (she's planning a future story with him in it)
Richard (apparently he will be seeing a therapist and will be changing for the better so I think he'll get lucky)

Hmm, Jean Claude is a cockroach so I'm sure he'll survive. Not sure about Asher though, for some reason I feel he will be dying to save either Jean Claude or Anita. If Jason dies I'm going to cry.

It would be nice if there was some sort of explosion that will take out all of Anita's excess men. I think I would cheer at that, LOL.

Kim wrote: "I agree with Shannon. I don't object to the sex fest, it's just that how many more men can she have at once? I mean really. I would like to see one of two things, 1) we get some more solid plots..."

It would be nice if the series ended with book 20 but I doubt that will happen. I'd like to see a showdown with Marmee Noir too.

message 14: by Shanon (new)

Skin Trade gave me hope for future books because it felt like a return to the crime fighting Anita I fell in love with. Hopefully Bullet will continue with the trend.

Marmee Noir is supposedly dead already isn't she? I could've sworn that something happened in Skin Trade where she died. It was little and inconsequential and was only mentioned I believe. I can't keep it all straight.

message 15: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 77 comments Her body was blown up but her spirit still existed though it's unclear as to whether she survived Vittorio's (is that his name I can't remember) metaphysical attack. Her plan was to take over Anita's child because she knew she needed a host, that's why she had all of that sex in Blood Noir and Skin Trade. Only time will tell if Marmee Noir survived. I'm hoping she did otherwise her demise was anticlimactic.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 66 comments I have a love/hate relationship with these books. I strongly preferred the early stories style with them being focused on Anita's raising and crime fighting. But I like Anita character-wise in later books. I think LKH needs to work harder to strike a balance between "Anita the insecure closeminded necromancer" and "Anita the succubus constantly defending her choices."
Skin Trade seemed to point towards Anita getting burnt out as an executioner. I would be ok with her going back to being a zombie raiser and working with the police on supernatural crimes. If there's still all the sex and such on the side, that's fine so long as the meat and potatoes of the story focuses outside the bedroom.

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (audiobookmel) I love the Anita books. The sex does not bother me, though I do not always agree with the choices. I am like several people and sick of Richard. Can he whine any more, really?

I am very concerned about who is killed off in Bullet. I love Nathaniel and love that he is finally becoming his own person. I do not think it is JC or Richard. I think I am going to be upset no matter who it is (but I am glad she did not go back and change it, I hope I still feel that way after I read it). I have survived the death of fictional characters before, I know I can do it again.

I am extremely happy that Edward is coming back. I always love the books with Edward.

I cannot say that I which I like better, the early or later books. I love them all. Probably more the later only because I love Nathaniel. He is probably my favorite of all of her men.