Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I have been seriously considering getting a Nook. I'm worried about investing that kind of money now that a recent release of a book didn't include an ebook - in fact the ebook isn't slotted to come out until nearly 2 months after the hardback.... AH!

Has anyone heard anything else about ebook delays??

message 2: by Cathy (last edited Mar 03, 2010 09:49AM) (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 20 comments One release I was waiting for has the ebook delayed one week. I guess they're trying to force the book sale numbers and ebooks (stupidly) don't count. Plus all of the publishers are playing with prices, which I can't blame them for. They need to work out what people are willing to pay and when. The delays are annoying though.

When it comes to UF and PNR many of the already published books we want are available in ebook format. I don't expect it will be 100% and I expect the next year to be a bit turbulent, but I'd still recommend the nook. I love mine! I read about 80% on it now and get the other 20% of paper books from the library. In addition, I've been able to borrow some great ebooks from the library, so fun. Dan Brown's 500 page book free and lightweight on my nook!

One of the questions you should ask yourself is, would you have bought the hardback? If you're the type who waits for paperbacks, it's not as big a deal. But if you have to have a lot of books right away and don't mind paying full price, that might be different. Do you buy a lot of hardback new releases now? Good luck deciding what to do.

message 3: by Shanon (new)

I read ebooks almost exclusively. Right now I read them on my blackberry but before I read them on my palm and at one point a PDA. My library has a ton of ebooks and I buy some if they are cheap enough. There are very few books I am willing to pay full price to read right away.

I did go out and buy the latest new release in hard back but that is rare for me. I usually end up waiting a couple of months or more to read new releases.

I hope they can figure out how to include ebooks in the sales numbers.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Riga (aeriga) I usually download my books for free, but a new release I think i would just buy for my collection, especially if i already have the others sitting on my shelves. Although if you were going to wait for a paperback version to come out it wouldn't make that much of a difference waiting the two months for the ebook to come out.

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) The publishing interesting is trying to figure out how to maintain its profits and deal with ebooks. Not all new releases are ebook delayed, just some. I have found many new releases slotted for release on the same day -- for example Lover Mine and Dead in the Family are going to be released on Kindle on the same day.

message 6: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) I have noticed delays in the UK but they are normally about 1-2 weeks, what annoys me is the cost, some are double the price of a paperback version but the outlay for the publishers is considerably less. I am hoping that if they become more popular this will increase the demand and bring the prices down (an increase in range and where we can get them would be noce too since Amazon have now stopped ebooks in the UK).

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I really think this is temporary. The ebook vendors are in negotations with publishers, things are changing daily on this.

message 8: by Shanon (new)

I'm curious to see where everything will land when the negotiations are done. I think any sort of delays will hurt the ereader business but I get their desire for profits too.

message 9: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) I am really hoping that e-readers will become more popular, to me they make sense, environmentally friendly and take up far less space. Lets hope people see this and then we can all see the results.

message 10: by Shanon (new)

I agree Kimberley. I remember watching Star Trek TNG (yup I'm a geek!) and commenting on how cool it would be to have a little device that holds all your books like they had. Now we have it & I LOVES IT!

message 11: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) Hey Shanon, I have all the Star Trek TNG on DVD, and Babylon 5 and just for good measure, the complete Red Dwarf collection too. (Does that mean I am a geek).
Funnily enough I had the same idea when I saw Captain Janeway in Voyager reading the classics on something that now resembles the sony reader and being jealous, yay, now I have one.

message 12: by Rayna (new)

Rayna I NEED HELP!!!! i have downloaded ebooks to my PC but i want to buy an ereader. i have looked and am not to savy in the electronic world. being from Canada there are only so many available. my research leads me to want the Kindle so badly but of course its not available in Canada!!! arggg.....does anyone have one thats awesome???? user friendly that allows me to download off my pc free books as well as purchased???

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I am not knowlegeable about different types. But I thought kindle was available internationally?

message 14: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Rayna wrote: "I NEED HELP!!!! i have downloaded ebooks to my PC but i want to buy an ereader. i have looked and am not to savy in the electronic world. being from Canada there are only so many available. my ..."

Rayna I am not sure if Kindle is the right choice for you or not, but I just looked on their website and Kindle is avaialable in Canda, go to the link where it says "check on your country", there is a pull down, choose Canada: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless...

message 15: by Rayna (last edited Mar 25, 2010 11:00AM) (new)

Rayna i guess i should have been more specific....yes i can use it but they would charge me if i downloaded from my pc to the kindle......i would have to buy all my books from amazon, seems like money ploy for them to only get you to purchase from their store!

i dont want to be restricted but i like the features, was wondering if there was anything out there similar that works in Canada

message 16: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) You actually don't have to buy all your books from amazon. There are other vendors that sell Kindle accessible books. But I understand if you are not intersted, I was only responding with info b/c you had said your research led you to want the Kindle. :)

message 17: by Rayna (new)

Rayna sorry bout that, after i read it i should have edited....thanks though! do you have a kindle?