What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: Does Duluth exist or not? [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Diane | 12 comments I remember reading a book when I was a child about 3 kids (orphans?) who spent part of their day in the Slough, so that people wouldn't know that there weren't any parental figures around to take care of them. Their parents were possibly in Duluth, but one or more of them was convinced that Duluth didn't actually exist. The only other salient point was the youngest child's cat, a rare female calico. He was pressured to sell her, but he refused and in the end she had kittens (or maybe in a sequel? Was there a sequel?)

message 2: by CLM (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

CLM | 298 comments The Slough doesn't sound familiar but the three children and rare cat makes it sound like one of the Mrs. Coverlet books by Mary Nash, possibly While Mrs. Coverlet was Away. If I remember correctly, the children's names are Malcolm, Molly and The Toad. There were two sequels: Mrs. Coverlet's Magicians and Mrs. Coverlet's Dectectives. These should not be hard to find online or at the library.

message 3: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Diane | 12 comments I think that's it ... I'm still trying to find stuff on the internet (my local library doesn't have it), but the stuff I'm finding sounds very familiar. Thank you!!