Jane Austen discussion

Discuss Northanger Abbey 2010 > Still Reading Northanger

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Please be careful about spoilers in this thread. I welcome others to create threads also about specifics of the book if you would like.

message 2: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I am still going step by step through Northanger after deciding to do a re-read of it just this week. I have gotten through most of the introductory scenes and am in chap 5.

I like that it is unique to other Austen novels with her heroine (or divinity --did anyone else read this part?ha ha) launching our for an adventure on her own -- well accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Allen. It is also the most casual meeting of leading male and female characters. Catherine and Henry basically bump into each other at a crowded ball. I like that because this couple has a very clean beginning.

Henry is witty, conversing, a good flirt and impresses me. He says he wishes Catherine to write of him in her diary as "a most extraordinary genius" and what is so funny to me is that Mrs. Allen comes along and is impressed by his knowledge of dressmaking and SHE is "quite struck by his genius." I love this kind of humor.

message 3: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 68 comments Sarah wrote: " He says he wishes Catherine to write of him in her diary as "a most extraordinary genius" and what is so funny to me is that Mrs. Allen comes along and is impressed by his knowledge of dressmaking and SHE is "quite struck by his genius." I love this kind of humor. "

I just started my (re)-read.
To be sure paying but 5 shillings a yard for a true India muslin must be a sign of genius.
I myself was most struck by my mother's genius at an early age, when she contrived by a masterful display of haggling, to pay only 75 pesos for a beautiful beaded overblouse that was marked at 150 pesos. :)

Speaking of the introductory chapters, it struck me (probably since I am just now guiding my 8yo through Harry Potter) that Catherine is a bit like Ron Weasley. Very standard child from a large but standard and happy family.

message 4: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (last edited Mar 07, 2010 01:47PM) (new)

Interesting comparison Mayakda! I followed Ron Weasley for years! ha ha Ron has similar outlook of innocence and fair play. He is lucky enough to form one of the great friendships of all time and Catherine may not be so lucky. And he also was a type who was inexperienced in life but yet cautious about Gothic surroundings (he knew enough of the wizarding world, I guess)!

I like that discussion of the fabric!

message 5: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 68 comments He is lucky enough to form one of the great friendships of all time and Catherine may not be so lucky.
It would be like Ron being friends with Crabbe or Goyle. LOL.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a unique take on Catherine Morland! I like it. :)