The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.4 (Always The Bridesmaid, Never The Bride - Heidi - Our Histories)

Comments (showing 51-100 of 125) (125 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Steinbeck isn't exactly my cup of tea. lol, I am hoping to avoid him.

message 52: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 156 comments Kathryn wrote: "Steinbeck isn't exactly my cup of tea. lol, I am hoping to avoid him."

I did a quick search and found:
The Kitchen God's Wife
The Jane Austen Book Club
Shopgirl

message 53: by Nicole (last edited Mar 03, 2010 02:57PM) (new)

Nicole | 1134 comments Oh joy! I just now saw Heidi's reply. I must have missed it the last time I checked the thread. I think I may do Motherless Brooklyn for the C part. I was trying not to do re-reads!

Am slightly afraid to read an 880 page book, but will attempt to read New York: The Novel as my family saga. I hope it turns out to be good. At least I own it!

message 54: by Ellen (last edited Mar 03, 2010 03:56PM) (new)

Ellen  (MissEllen82) | 202 comments What about books where the main character is a genealogist and investigates family mysteries be considered for "family saga"?

message 55: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments Can I read the Magicians by Lev Grossman? It's set mostly in upstate-NY and that's where I live.

message 56: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments I live near Chicago. Can anyone recommend a good fiction book that is set there?

message 57: by kiki (last edited Mar 03, 2010 05:56PM) (new)

kiki (keekers) | 820 comments lots of steinbeck's books are set in cali. The Bonesetter's Daughter is set in SF and china (this could work for the saga part). House of Sand and Fog is set in the Bay Area. Less Than Zero is set in L.A. My First Summer in the Sierra is set in the, wait for it....Sierra's! :P that's all i can think of right now that i can see on my shelf, there's got to be a ton more!

edited to add: i just realized you asked for GOOD books...i didn't care for house of sand and fog, OR less than zero, but they're set in cali! :)

message 58: by Liz M (last edited Mar 03, 2010 06:02PM) (new)

Liz M Angela wrote: "I live near Chicago. Can anyone recommend a good fiction book that is set there?"

Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski Novels #1) by Sara Paretsky

V.I. Warshawski is a kick-*ss female private detective.

message 59: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 820 comments for people looking for books set in the D.C. area, Thank You for Smoking is set there (mostly.) sorry if someone already posted that info. and sorry my post to kathryn was so delayed...i typed it up and clicked "post", and it showed up like 10 minutes later! :S

message 61: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments lol, thanks kiki! I think if worst comes to worst, I have some Sweet Valley High books left over from Middle School that I can read. Those are quick reads that take place in California!

message 62: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 661 comments Kathryn wrote: "lol, thanks kiki! I think if worst comes to worst, I have some Sweet Valley High books left over from Middle School that I can read. Those are quick reads that take place in California!"

White Oleander
Bright Shiny Morning
Angels - Marian Keyes
Literacy and Longing in L.A. - Jennifer Kauffman
Bloodsucking Fiends - Christopher Moore
You Suck: A Love Story - Christopher Moore
Bite Me - Moore
A Dirty Job - Moore
Nursery Crimes - Ayelet Waldman
Misery Loves Cabernet - Kim Gruenenfelder

message 63: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments Anybody know any books that take place in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon/Washington)? We are sadly often a forgotten region for literature.

message 64: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments Thanks Cait! I have already read all of Jen Lancaster's books anyway and since they are non-fiction they would not count.
I might try one of these since I read most of the others:
The Deep End of the Ocean
Dream When You're Feeling Blue

message 66: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Bonnie wrote: "Anybody know any books that take place in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon/Washington)? We are sadly often a forgotten region for literature."

I just saw one that looked good from Oregon. As Young As We Feel: A Novel. It is a free book from Kindle right now. Even if you don't have kindle, you could download the for pc app and read the book. I don't know anything about this book, just that it is set in Oregon.

message 67: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 265 comments being in austin, im sure theirs lots, but unfortunately, and i hate say it, but texas history does not interest me...i've lived in many places, but would prefer to do somethign about the saratogo/upstate new york region rather than Texas...Thanks!

would Little WOmen work for the family saga?

message 68: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 661 comments Bonnie wrote: "Anybody know any books that take place in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon/Washington)? We are sadly often a forgotten region for literature."

That's the region I'm reading about as well. Here are some options:

Broken for You
The Journal of Mortifying Moments: A Novel
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Snow Falling on Cedars
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (along with a number of Alexie's other books)
Firefly Lane
Microserfs
Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls
The Highest Tide
The River Why
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (someone would need to confirm)
The Brothers K
Magic Hour
The Inhabited World

message 69: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments Any suggestions for upstate NY?

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments April wrote: "Any suggestions for upstate NY?"

I can't recommend any of these as I haven't read them:

Bridge of Sighs
Mohawk
In the Bleak Midwinter
The Doctor's Wife
We Were the Mulvaneys
The Monsters of Templeton
A Northern Light

message 71: by Petra (new)

Petra Bonnie wrote: "Anybody know any books that take place in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon/Washington)? We are sadly often a forgotten region for literature."

I'm currently reading Heartsick, which is a murder mystery set in Portland, Oregon. It's very good so far with a very sociopathic, creepy Serial Killer.
If anyone is still looking for a book with a reporter in it, one of the main characters is a Reporter. And it's the first of a series.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Here's a list for those in the Philly region like me:

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson
Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner
The Anatomy of Deception by Lawrence Goldstone
Lady Killer by Lisa Scottoline
Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner
Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss
Devil's Corner by Lisa Scottoline
Philadelphia Fire by John Edgar Wideman
In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner
Courting Trouble by Lisa Scottoline

message 73: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments I have another question. For region, could it be like the southwest? For example, Nevada is just a couple hours from me. Could I use a book set in Nevada? Or does it have to be in California?

message 74: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments OH SNAP! I forgot all about A Northern Light! Thanks so much, just the push I'll need to dive into it.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Heidi - I thought you might be interested in knowing that I am taking this step a step further. I am going to build a scrap book centered around what I find about my family.

message 76: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 52 comments I'm glad I made you happy! I've lived in various places around the world so I know what its like to have different places you call home!

message 77: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments Excellent, great NW suggestions. I really want to check out Heartsick now...I've never read a murder mystery set in my hometown before! Hopefully it won't freak me out!

message 78: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 52 comments Ok, catching up on the questions again:

Ellen R-S asked about a book where the main character is a genealogist. Can you please give me an example? Although it wasn't in the original task (mainly because I didn't realise there were any) I'm wondering whether to allow it as it combines two elements of the task.

April - As far as I can tell, Magicians by Lev Crossman is fine.

Tracey - I'm not sure whether Little Women would work as from memory its only one family, rather than multi-generational.

Kathryn - region doesn't have to mean state in the US. It can be something like "southwest"

Sarah - well done on the family history scrap book! I was really hoping to inspire people wit this task, so i'm glad if its had the desired effect!

message 79: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments THANK YOU! I really appreciate that!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments April wrote: "OH SNAP! I forgot all about A Northern Light! Thanks so much, just the push I'll need to dive into it."

No problem!Just let me know how it is. I've been wanting to read it!

message 81: by Alice (new)

Alice (AliceG) | 429 comments A nothern light is a good book!

message 82: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Aww man. Wish I lived on the West Coast so I could read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet!

message 83: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (TammyAZ) | 537 comments Kathryn wrote: "Steinbeck isn't exactly my cup of tea. lol, I am hoping to avoid him."

The entire Tales From the City Series
A ton of mystery writers set their books in CA - Sue Grafton, Robert Crais, Michael Connolly, John Lescroart

message 84: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Tammy wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Steinbeck isn't exactly my cup of tea. lol, I am hoping to avoid him."

The entire Tales From the City Series
A ton of mystery writers set their books in CA - Sue Grafton, Robert Cr..."

That helps a lot! Thanks. Doesn't James Patterson also set his womens detective series in san fancisco or something? I really hated the series so I can't remember, but I know I am not the only CA reader here.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Angela wrote: "I live near Chicago. Can anyone recommend a good fiction book that is set there?"

Then We Came to the End
Crossing California
The House on Mango Street
Loving Frank

and I think alot of The Time Traveler's Wife takes place in Chicago.

message 87: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments If you like fantasy - Storm Front is set in Chicago and it's a FANTASTIC series!

message 88: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments Thanks Jamie and Tanja. I did read Time Traveler's Wife (which was amazing). I am not really a huge fan of fantasy, but I will give it a look.

message 89: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (Hsouthall) | 359 comments For those in the NY area, there is a series of books that work for both history of the area and family sagas. These trace the founding of Manhatten/New York City and the history of two conflicting families. Good 4-5 star books.

City of Dreams: A Novel of Nieuw Amsterdam and Early Manhattan
City of Glory: A Novel of War and Desire in Old Manhattan
City of God: A Novel of Passion and Wonder in Old New York

message 90: by Sara ♥ (last edited Mar 04, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments All right. I have no idea what I'm going to read... (Can I DO a certain number of hours of family history and call it good? Reading microfilms? Yeah, didn't think so...) But I DO have a question...

Is there someone in the Bryan/College Station, Texas area that's participating in this challenge? Because I remember checking someone out at the library this week (maybe even last night!)... And they had a bunch of RANDOM books that seemed like ones you could fit into this challenge, INCLUDING some books about Houston or Texas or something. I'm suspicious... And I'd like to know if the books are any good. ;)

Oye, though. I'm not entirely sure I want to read a book set in Texas. They're like ALL westerns. *gick* Although a quick re-read of Samantha and the Cowboy or Amelia and the Outlaw wouldn't kill me! ;) And I believe the library has a whole Texas/local history section, so...

message 91: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Kathryn wrote: "Does anyone know any good books that are set in California?"

You read YA... Meg Cabot's Mediator series (which I LOVE) is set in California. The first one is Shadowland.

message 92: by Katy (last edited Mar 04, 2010 03:00PM) (new)

Katy | 513 comments Laurie R. King has two main mystery series I am aware of - one is set in San Francisco (the Kate Martinelli series). I love her writing and all her Kate Martinelli books have been enjoyable reads.

message 93: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Does anyone know any good books that are set in California?"

You read YA... Meg Cabot's Mediator series (which I LOVE) is set in California. The first one is [book:Shadowland|1878..."

Thanks Sara! We tend to have the same taste so I might have to use it!!!

message 94: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Poor Sara <3 stuck on westerns :(
Been in the College Station area before but never at the library.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Sara--

For Texas:

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Holes by Louis Sachar

That's about all I could find that weren't westerns lol

message 96: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I've not been to the library in College Station, but I will be going to Round Rock and Austin next month and I'm sure I'll be at the Round Rock library, as my friend works there.

message 97: by Sara ♥ (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments *ICK* I've read Holes (Awesome!), but after ATTEMPTING to read The Road, I feel that I can live a full and satisfying life without reading any of Cormac McCarthy's other books.

I suppose I could read the sequel to Holes, Small Steps... I even have it on audio already...

message 98: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 661 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "*ICK* I've read Holes (Awesome!), but after ATTEMPTING to read The Road, I feel that I can live a full and satisfying life without reading any of Cormac McCarthy's other books.

I supp..."

Here's a few more for TX

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
Living Dead in Dallas
The Bottoms
When Zachary Beaver Came to Town
The Colour of Lightning
Terms of Endearment
The Devil in the Junior League
Grave Secret

message 99: by Jay (new)

Jay (jaydek) | 60 comments Kathryn wrote: "Does anyone know any good books that are set in California?"

I really liked The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle -- he lives in Los Angeles, teaches at USC, and is a Goodreads author!

There is also the "LA Quartet" by James Ellroy:
The Black Dahlia
The Big Nowhere
L.A. Confidential
White Jazz

message 100: by Alice (new)

Alice (AliceG) | 429 comments Does anyone know of any fiction books set in either Hampshire or Norfolk (UK). I only know ones that I've already read and I would prefer something I haven't read. The ones I've read already are

The Sea House(norfolk)

The Whole Day Through(hampshire)

So if anyone has any other suggestions that would be really helpful! It's not so easy to do a search of books by British Counties as it is for American regions or cities!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Forever (other topics)
Time and Again (other topics)
Bright Lights, Big City (other topics)
The Age of Innocence (other topics)
New York (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amy Tan (other topics)
Colleen McCullough (other topics)
Sara Paretsky (other topics)