The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.4 (Always The Bridesmaid, Never The Bride - Heidi - Our Histories)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 125 (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Mar 03, 2010 04:36AM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 20.4 - Always The Bridesmaid, Never The Bride - Heidi - Our Histories
On Monday 1st March I started a new job as City Archivist of Wolverhampton, England. This involves helping people research their family history and/or the history of their local area. For this task I'm hoping to inspire you to visit your local archive! Read two of the following:

A. A non-fiction book about researching family history.

B. A fictional "family saga" book.

C. A fictional book about your local area or region.

D. A non-fiction book about the history of your local area.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I already have a few questions (I know- I am irritating). Would it be possible for me to count NYC as my local area? It is not currently my local area but it is where I was born and raised and lived all of my life except the last 3 years.

Also- can anyone recommend some good "family saga" books?

message 3: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Nicole, do you know of any good NYC ones? (That's where I am and other than Rutherford's new book, which is HUGE, I can't think of any)

message 4: by Nicole (last edited Mar 03, 2010 04:04AM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments What about...
Bright Lights, Big City
Time and Again
Forever
The Age of Innocence
The New York Trilogy
Invisible Man

Some of these are set in the past. I am hoping for C that it does not matter what time period!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I think I want to read
New York: The Novel for Part B (since it follows a family over the years)

and

re-read Time and Again for part C, IF I am allowed to do NYC and IF this fits what you were thinking for C.

Let me know!

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15259 comments Mod
For Part B, can the choice be one book from a series that's a family saga? For instance, one of the books from the Forsythe Saga, without reading the entire series?

message 8: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) So we have to read 2 books from 2 of these or 8 books in total (2 books from each of these)?

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Fiona, I read it as ONE book from TWO of the options - so two books in total ....

message 10: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks Suzie x

Wonder which I should choose to read now lol.

message 11: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Which area are we able to do. Where we live now or where we were born and bought up?

Cos I was born in 1 county, bought up in another and now live in another lol.

Just so I know.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim  | 0 comments I read Roses for the last challenge and it would work for a family saga. I thought it was pretty good and gave it 4 stars.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments I like this challenge. Mil has lent me a book set in our local area which I need to read and I think Ravenscar Dynasty by Barbara Taylor Bradford would be a family saga and that is on the bookshelf aswell. Trying to reduce the books in the house- so another one that will be great for me!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments So a book that takes place in our home place?

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Does anyone have any good examples of "family saga" books? Thanks!

message 16: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments I think Sidney Sheldon's Master of the Game would work.

Also, Judith Krantz's Mistral's Daughter

Doris Mortman - The Wild Rose

Some of Jeffrey Archer's - Kane and Abel The Prodigal Daughter

message 17: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 422 comments Diane wrote: "Does anyone have any good examples of "family saga" books? Thanks!"

One Hundred Years of Solitude

message 18: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Amanda wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Diane wrote: "Does anyone have any good examples of "family saga" books? Thanks!"

One Hundred Years of Solitude"

As I Lay Dying and The Grapes of W..."</i>

I would think [book:Garden Spells
would work and I am going to do The Girl Who Chased the Moon

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments One of my favorites is The Glory Field. Such an amazing book! And anything by Edward Rutherfurd would work for a family saga, if you're interested in taking a "long book" ticket lol

message 20: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category...

The House of the Spirits is really good. It's a 1001 series book too.

If I get to this one, I'm going to read Roots.

For the second part, my college has an entire collection of historical books about the area. I'm lucky.

message 21: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Skimming through the "new york" shelf on Goodreads, most of the books on there seem accurate. Some are not, depending on how local we're getting (for example, Oscar Wao is more NJ, though I think NY is featured).

I'm probably going to read One Hundred Years of Solitude for family saga and The Gangs of New York for my local area.

message 22: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) Can we read TWO books from just ONE category?

For example: 2 family saga books to commplete this task?

message 23: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments seems like some of Amy Tan's books would work? they're certainly multi-generational. would the The Poisonwood Bible work?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments oh wait I can read the Joy Luck Club for part B.

message 25: by Usako (new)

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Glad you said REGION since that'll be easier for me to find a fictional region one - DC METRO area! YAY!

Trying to remember a good one there. Time to use biblio!

message 27: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 75 comments Nicole wrote: "I already have a few questions (I know- I am irritating). Would it be possible for me to count NYC as my local area? It is not currently my local area but it is where I was born and raised and live..."

haha I was thinking the same thing. I'm a displaced Brooklynite myself and would much rather read a book about there then where I am now. :) Glad I am not alone.

message 28: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Anyone have recommendations for a book set in the DC area that isn't (1) political and (2) Dan Brown/John Patterson?

I've read most Pattersons and both of Brown's books (not interested in Lost Symbol yet).

Political, I'm avoiding the NFs and anything too focused on the gov't.

message 29: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China i'm sure would definitely be a family saga book! i know some of you had this for the first task but it's a massive book so it might be worth reading it for this one instead cos at least you get more points for a chunk of a tome! it is worth reading though!!

thanks tanja for finding Cutting for Stone. i'm going to read that one as i've just bought it and was trying to find somewhere to fit it in!!

message 30: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments It says fictional book ABOUT your area. Does that mean it can't just be set in your area but rather more about the place itself???

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Alice wrote: "Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China i'm sure would definitely be a family saga book! i know some of you had this for the first task but it's a massive book so it might be worth reading..."

Wild Swans is non-fiction, though, and the family saga book has to be fiction.

message 32: by Petra (last edited Mar 03, 2010 10:35AM) (new)

Petra Alice wrote: "It says fictional book ABOUT your area. Does that mean it can't just be set in your area but rather more about the place itself???"

I think this means a novel set in your area. For example, Vancouver is the history of Vancouver, told in a fictional form. It is more about the place but follows families through the generations. Unfortunately, I've read it already.

I really enjoyed Wild Swans.

message 33: by Petra (new)

Petra Alice wrote: thanks tanja for finding Cutting for Stone. i'm going to read that one as i've just bought it and was trying to find somewhere to fit it in!!..."

Ditto! Thanks, Tanja!

message 34: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Part A: I might re-read a book for this task since I already have the book.

Part B: Oh. ABOUT. Hm. Are there fictional books about areas/regions? I thought ABOUT is more nonfiction related.

message 35: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Tanja wrote: "Part A: I might re-read a book for this task since I already have the book.

Part B: Oh. ABOUT. Hm. Are there fictional books about areas/regions? I thought ABOUT is more nonfiction related."

David Baldacci has some there like The Camel Club and its sequel The Collectors

Also, pretty much all of Vince Flynn - Spy Thrillers - are there - Term Limits

paranormal - Carrie Vaughan Kitty Goes to Washington

Some of Tom Clancy's books - all the Jack Ryan's.

message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Think I'll do the paranormal one. Thanks Bridgit!

message 37: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Tanja wrote: "Think I'll do the paranormal one. Thanks Bridgit!"

Cool! You should know it is the second in a series though! The first one is Kitty and the Midnight Hour which is pretty fun. Maybe you can fit it in somewhere?

message 38: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I could fit it into 20.6! Ooh thanks. I'll keep The Girl Who Played with Fire under 5.4 since it hit the Jan 10 Newsletter. Yay! It's fun when you can fit series into a challenge!

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1038 comments I was wondering about region as well. I go to University in San Diego, but live further north in California on holidays. Could I read a book set in California?

Also, for a family saga, I am going to read The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough. I am half-way done with it and I am enjoying it so far.

message 40: by Alice (last edited Mar 03, 2010 12:34PM) (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Ms Anderson wrote:Wild Swans is non-fiction, though, and the family saga book has to be fiction

Doh! and i thought i was being clever there! not that i was going to read it for this task was just misleading the rest of you. Sorry!!

Heidi can you clarify the whole thing about the fictional part to do with area - whether it can just be 'set' in your area or whether it has to be more to do with the area and the facts of it so to speak (can't think of a better way to describe that!)

message 41: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 24 comments Does anyone have any good suggestions for a non-fiction book about researching family history? It's something I have never read before...

message 42: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Alicia wrote: "Does anyone have any good suggestions for a non-fiction book about researching family history? It's something I have never read before..."

I think you might be able to use something like The Hairstons: An American Family in Black and White Henry Wiencek.

message 44: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Wouldn't you consider the old Danielle Steel's books to be family sagas? Esp Jewels

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Tanja wrote: "Wouldn't you consider the old Danielle Steel's books to be family sagas? Esp Jewels"

I remember reading that ages ago. I would think so!

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 52 comments Sorry, I seem to be on a different time zone to the rest of you, so I will try and catch up:

- Yes, you can use a region/area where you grew up, rather than where you live now

- Nicole, those books sound fine.

- For C, it doesn't matter what time period

- For B, it can be part of a series, e.g. Forsythe Saga

- Yes, one book from two Options please, so two books in total

- I'm fairly flexible about what counts as a region, anything relatively local is fine

- Fictional book about the area can just be set there, doesn't have to have huge amount of detail!

Hope that covers all queries, but please let me know if I've missed anything out! All good suggestions so far, particularly for family saga books!

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Merriam Webster defines saga as a long, detailed account. So any book that is a long detailed account of a family would work.

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1038 comments Does anyone know any good books that are set in California?

message 49: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 24 comments Kathryn wrote: "Does anyone know any good books that are set in California?"

Pretty much anything by Steinbeck. A lot of his stuff is set on the central coast.

message 50: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 199 comments Heidi you just made me very happy!! I was hoping you would approve a fiction book that takes place where you grew up, because I was born and raised in Trenton, NJ and that's where the Stephine Plum books take place! Yay!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.