UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Proofreading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments I am doing a proofreading and editorial skills course which I started last week. I have really got into it and want to really make a go of it.

I know its a real cheek asking, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but if any of you lovely people have anything that I can proofread as practice I would love to hear from you! I need to get used to learning all the signs publishers use and the more things I can practice on the better! Anything at all will do! Chapters of novels, essays, anything!

You can send by email word/works or pdf file. If you want your corrections, if I find any, back I can do that too. It would be a huge help with practice.

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Lol
Lynne I have a chapter of my book I am writing that I am not sure about so if I send it to you would you go through it for me. Please my sweet friend xx

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Of course email it!

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo I'm writing a book at the moment if you would like me to send you a section. I think its great that you are learning something new :) Good luck!

message 5: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
I don't do any writing, but if I'm given an essay to write for uni in the near future I'll send it across :)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Spurfect

Thanks for the comments, which I find quite nasty and insulting! I want to do proofreading as a job and I would never dream of stealing from anyone! I do not write and have no incination to either, all I am asking to do is practice my new found skills.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 177 comments Hi Lynne

It sounds a really interesting course, can i ask where you found out about it? Its something I might be interested in!

Thanks amy

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Hi Amy

Chapterhouse publishing is the course I am doing.

chapterhousepublishing.com

Lynne

message 9: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) Proofreading is a job that I just never thought about. I know that somebody has to do it, it just doesn't magically happen. I commend you on your dilligence cuz I don't think its something that I have the patience for. I wish you luck.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments I agree with you Lynne, Spurfect was well out of line making such comments. Were I a writer of any kind I'd trust you to proof read my work. You have to practise these things, especially if you want to do it as a profession. I think the only people who would suggest that you'd try to steal the work that is sent to you are the people who would do such a thing themselves.

Good luck with the course Lynne and I hope you get the career you want (you'll definitely be beating us all in the reading stakes then lol).

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 50 comments My mum used to proofread children's books. Such a cool job!
Good luck with your course.

message 12: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
Yep, I agree with Sam. I would definitely trust Lynn to read anything I wrote if I wrote.

Good luck Lynn :)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Thanks everyone for your support, I will let you know how I am progressing! I have been doing some exercises this afternoon and you really need to concentrate or you miss something!

message 14: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Lynne wrote: "Thanks everyone for your support, I will let you know how I am progressing! I have been doing some exercises this afternoon and you really need to concentrate or you miss something!"

Lynne as you are a good friend to me i would like to send you chapter of my book. As you work as a career you will understand my disability and your the best person to help me to explain thing.
You have my surport all the way lynne :) xxx

message 15: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments spurfect wrote: "I take it all back... If you're truly bored can you be my friend and proofread all my comments please. I am bit pedantic about spelling, grammar and punctuation and prone to the occasional typo too..."

Spurfect you are way out of order in your comment

message 16: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) book site=book ppl now there's a stretch to the imagination. And my life is such a long way from being sheltered---just ask Nick ;).

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments We do admit that some people steal ideas from others however your comments were directed at Lynne personally and not a generalisation so maybe you need to be more careful with your comments.

And Flora has it spot on, book site does equal book people and I'd bet we have more open lives than you think given the huge variety of views, opinions and experiences that us book people get exposed to either through the books themselves, discussions with other book groups and being inspired to try new things by the books that we read. I'd rather be a book geek than anything else in the world.