Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > Be Careful What You Quote...Someone May Be Watching

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Post your page 46 dystopia quotes here.

message 2: by Em (last edited Mar 02, 2010 09:37PM) (new)

Em (emily27) | 45 comments Nineteen Eighty-Four

"You could not invariably assume this to be the case when people were arrested. Sometimes they were released and allowed to remain at liberty for as much as a year or two years before being executed. Very occasionally some persons whom you had believed dead long since would make a ghostly reappearance at some public trial where he would implicate hundreds of others by his testimony before vanishing, this time forever. Withers, however was already an unperson. He did not exist; he had never existed."

message 3: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Em wrote: "Nineteen Eighty-Four

"You could not invariably assume this to be the case when people were arrested. Sometimes they were released and allowed to remain at liberty for as much as a ye..."

Reminds me a little of McCarthyism. Scary.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
Another Page 46 quote from Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell:

"Suddenly there sprang into his mind, ready-made as it were, the image of a certain Comrade Ogilvy, who had recently died in battle, in heroic circumstances. There were occasions when Big Brother devoted his Order for the Day to commemorating some humble, rank-and-file Party member whose life and death he held up as an example worthy to be followed. Today he should commemorate Comrade Ogilvy. It was true that there was no such person as Comrade Ogilvy, but a few lines of print and a couple of faked photographs would soon bring him into existence."

message 5: by Em (new)

Em (emily27) | 45 comments I had considered posting that one, too :)

As I had yours, Em. If enough of us read it, maybe we can get the whole page listed, LOL.

message 7: by Katey (last edited Mar 13, 2010 11:11PM) (new)

Katey (kateyyy) | 50 comments Feed by M.T. Anderson

"Our parents had been notified while we were asleep. Only Loga hadn't been touched by the hacker. She hadn't let him touch her, so she should stay way far away. There were also others, people we'd never met,who had been touched, and they were in the wards, too. He had touched thirteen people in all.
There was a police officer there, waiting in a chair. He told us that we would be off-line for awhile, until they could see what had been done, and check for viruses, and decrypt the feed history to get information to use against the guy in court. They said that they had identified him, and that he was a hacker, and a naysayer of the worst kind.
We were frightened, and kept touching our heads. Suddenly, our heads felt real empty.
At least in the hospital they had better gravity than the hotel."

message 8: by Natalie (last edited Mar 07, 2010 01:07PM) (new)

Natalie (nchhynes) | 55 comments Animal Farm:

"In the morning the animals came out of their stalls to find that the flagstaff had been blown down and an elm tree at the foot of the orchard had been plucked up like a radish. They had just noticed this when a cry of dispair broke from every animal's throat. A terrible sight had met their eyes. The windmill was in ruins .. . Yes, there it lay, the fruit of all their struggles, leveled to its foundations, the stones they had broken and carried so laboriously scattered all around."

message 9: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Mar 08, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

From Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro:

Ruth cam a step closer. "my best horse," she said, "is Thunder. I can't let you ride on him. He's much too dangerous. But you can ride Bramble, as long as you don't use your crop on him. Or if you like, you could have any of the others." She reeled off several more names I don't remember. Then she asked: "Have you got any horses of your own?"

I looked at her and thought carefully before replying: "No. I don't have any horses."

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina | 232 comments Lyn M wrote: "From Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro:

Ruth cam a step closer. "my best horse," she said, "is Thunder. I can't let you ride on him. He's much too dangerous. B..."

Oh now I know where page 46 in this book is! I'm currently reading this on kindle and didn't have any idea what page 46 might equate to (kindle gives % instead of page numbers). FYI, page 46 is 16%.

Do think there's any way we could make this kindle format friendly game too? If not, that's ok, nonetheless it's fun to read everyone's page 46s. :-)

message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nchhynes) | 55 comments Daughters of the North:

"They were a strange group, slightly exotic, slightly disliked. I could remember seeing them in Rith's market stalls, setting up their tables, staring down the hostile looks of other farmer. They were odd-looking. Their dress was different, unconventional; often they wore matching yellow tunics that tied at the back and came to the knee. Seeing their attire, people thought at first they must be part of a new faith, some modern agrarian strain, though they did not poselytise."

I would say just pick a quote about 10% into the book or something, if you have an e-reader, and go for it.

As long as you pick a point after the book has gotten going and post a quote so people can get a feel for the book.

I didn't realize e-readers don't have page numbers.

message 13: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments Tina wrote: "Do think there's any way we could make this kindle format friendly game too? If not, that's ok, nonetheless it's fun to read everyone's page 46s. :-)..."

I like Lyn's suggestion of choosing a quote 10% in. Page 46 is just a random designation anyhow. Even people reading different editions of the same title in a print-format book could have wildly different text to choose from on page 46. No one is policing this. It's just for fun and to share a quote from what you're reading with the group.

message 14: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) I agree. Let's just say that if you can only go by % than we will stick with 16% since that is what the first "Rosetta Stone" kindle/print conversion told us.

I must confess that I often stray from page 46 if a page that is close has a more interesting quote.

message 15: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Here is my quote from page 44 (see, I told you I'm not a stickler) of Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron:

"Stafford?"
"Yes Master Edward?'
"There's a naked man in the alleyway behind us. I think it might be...RIFFRAFF."
Stafford turned around, looked at the man and said,"I don't see anyone."
"How can you not see him? He's peeing on his own foot."
Master Edward, YOU can't see him."
"I can"
"You can't. He doesn't EXIST. Master Edward...take Out Munsell's word for it."

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Books bombarded his shoulders, his arms, his uptuned face. A book lit, almost obediently, like a white pigeon, in his hands, wings fluttering. In the dim, wavering light, a page hung open and it was like a snowy feather, the words delicately painted thereon. In all the rush and fervor, Montag had only an intant to read a line, but it blazed in his mind for the next minute as if stamped there with fiery steel. "Time has fallen asleep in the afternoon sunshine."
He dropped the book. Imediately, another fell into his arms.

Good quote Sarah, I read that book so long ago. I might have to re-read it someday.

message 18: by Sunflower (last edited Mar 12, 2010 11:58PM) (new)

Sunflower | 174 comments World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War slightly edited: "Then it was our turn to walk the gauntlet of dogs. They did't bark at me,nor the rest of my family. The next man after us, however...again came the barks and growls. I turned to look at him and was surprised to see a white man, American maybe..."C'mon, I'm fine". He shouted and struggled. "Dude, c'mon, I'm one a you! C'mon!" The buttons on his shirt ripped open, revealing a bloodstained bandage wrapped tightly around his stomach. He was still kicking and screaming as they dragged him into the back of the van"

message 19: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments This is from Feed by M.T. Anderson. It isn't exactly on page 46, but close. And I think it really goes to show what this book is all about:

I don't know when they first had feeds. Like maybe, fifty or a hundred years ago. Before that, they had to use their hands and their eyes. Computers were all outside the body. They carried them around outside of them, in their hands, like if you carried your lungs in a briefcase and opened it to breathe.

People were really excited when they first came out with feeds. It was all da da da, this big educational thing, da da da, your child will have the advantage, encyclopedias at their fingertips, closer than their fingertips, etc. That's one of the great things about the feed--that you can be supersmart without ever working. Everyone is supersmart now. You can look things up automatic, like science and history, like if you want to know which battles of the Civil War George Washington fought in . . ."

message 20: by Katey (new)

Katey (kateyyy) | 50 comments The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

"Sister Tabitha told us that you wouldn't be able to speak, that you had taken some sort of a vow, but i think Cass just forgot."
I nod again. I don't know what i would say to him even if i could speak. Maybe ask him why he never spoke for me. Why he asked me to the Harvest Celebration on the morning my mother became infected but never said a word to me again until now. Never went to Jed and set his pledge for me. Why he has left me to this fate with the Sisterhood.

message 21: by Tara (last edited Mar 21, 2010 06:55PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments The City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau

"Such a horrendous noise met him that he staggered backward a few steps. It was an earsplitting, growling, grinding, screaming noise, shot through a hoarse rackety-rackety sound and underscored with a deep chugga-chugga-chugga. Doon clapped his hands over his ears and stepped forward. In front of him was a gigantic black machine, two stories high."