The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BOOK REVIEWS > Kathryn's Spring Challenge Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments (1)Catherine, Called Birdy
This book was informative about the Medieval time period. I had read this book in the sixth grade and it was a lot more interesting then. It was still an interesting book. I felt bad about everything this girl had to go through. I can't imagine being traded like a commidity to improve my father's wealth. I can't imagine having to marry a man who is old enough to be your own father. That is something I don't think I could ever accept! I gave this a 3.5/5.

(2)The Horse and His Boy
I have to admit that I haven't read any of the other books in this series. I did see the movie so I thought I knew enough. I didn't get confused, but I did think it was a bit boring at times. I disliked most of the characters most of the time (except for Shasta). I also found that the ending was extremely predictable (I knew basically how it would end from the time Shasta was mistaken with Corin). Still, it was interesting to see it all come about. I gave this a 3.5/5

(3)Someone Named Eva
There are some books that you will carry around with you in your heart. This is one of those books. The characters will stay with you long after the story has come to an end. Malada was 13 when she was taken from her family and sent to a German program where the girls were brainwashed to become the perfect German woman. This is an aspect of World War II that is not that well known. Many of the girls who went through these programs were never recovered. And many who were young when they were placed with their adoptive German families were traumatized when they were later taken from their adoptive families to be taken back to their real families. In addition, many of the girls lost all memory of their life before they were taken and many, including the main character in this story, forgot how to speak their 1st language. This is something that I definitely will research more. My only critique of this novel is that I wish it had been drawn out for another 20 pages and had told us what had happened to many of the other characters like her adoptive German family or the friends that she made inside the center. Overall, I gave this book a 5/5. I will be returning to this book again sometime!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments (4)Impulse
Due to suicide attempts, three strangers all end up in Aspen Springs, a mental facility for youth. Tony has a drug addiction and a troubled past. He spent six years in a juviline detention center for murdering the man who raped him many times starting when he was only eight-years old. he is gay and that is how he survived life in juvie and later on the streets when he got out. Conner seems like the guy who has it all; looks, money, grades. But inside he feels alone. he was never loved by his parents and he was constantly pressured by them to be better. On top of that, his nanny introduced him to manhood when he was twelve. And after that ended, he started an affair with Emily, the married High School english teacher. He picks older women to take the place of his cold-hearted mother. By the end of the novel, the pressure proves to be too much for Conner. Vanessa is bi-polar, and so was her mother. Her father was always away, due to being in the military. When her boyfriend breaks up with her, sometime after she had an abortion for him, she cuts a little bit too deep with her razor. Vanessa is a cutter.

By the end of the novel, Tony is straight and deeply in love with Vanessa. Vanessa went from being in love with Conner to being in love with Tony so fast it gave me whiplash. It was pretty good with just a few unbelievable/corny things. I will definitely be reading some of the other novels by this author! I gave this a 4/5.

message 3: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Kathryn wrote: "(1)Catherine, Called Birdy
This book was informative about the Medieval time period. I had read this book in the sixth grade and it was a lot more interesting then. It was still an in..."

I remember reading Catherine, Called Birdy when I was much younger. I loved it then and would definitely recommend for younger readers.