Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Author Don Pendleton, Over 700 books..Help!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 18 comments I am afraid to touch this one. There are over 700 works listed. Many with other authors or the series listed as the name of the book title (Stone Man).I was looking for the Joe Copp series and can only find 3 of 6 works that I own. The only way I located those was by searching "Joe Copp" as they do not appear to even be in the 700+ list.

Does anyone feel brave?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments I walked into his combine page once. It was a bad idea.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23163 comments I've done quite a few, plenty more to go. I'll keep plugging away at it.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments I will try to help you.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Sandra, I managed to combine quite a few books, some french versions which I found the corresponding series at WorldCat.
However, I didn´t manage to combine one book at the first page - Requiem pour les amici (The Executioner #104) with the corresponding English version - Devil´s horn which is at the second page of the combine pages. I got the message - Must select at least 2 works to combine
Perhaps a super librarian could help us.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23163 comments Laura, you need to change one edition's name to match the others exactly, then hopefully, they are on the same page when you go to combine. If this works, then you change back the one you altered.

I tried this with California Hit (Ex. 11) but it didn't work for me. I may have been too tired. But that is the accepted practice when the books overflow to separate pages.

message 7: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I find that using the filter after altering the title is very helpful. In some cases I catch some additional strays that way. ;)

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments thanks for the tip Sandra and Vicki!!

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments sorry girls, I didn´t work. When I change Requiem by Devil´s, it goes to the first page instead of the second page. I added the english title into the French version, it´s not the best way, I know.

message 10: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Did you try the filter option? When I filter on the word 'Devil' both pop up. From there they can be combined.

message 11: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Oh, another *fun* author!

I see there are about 500 books left on his profile.

However, when I looked up the author's page on Fantastic Fiction, I found that while he wrote a bunch of books, his publisher then used his name as a 'house' name to continue the various series. Kind of like the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series. Tom Clancy's name is on the cover prominently, but he didn't write the books, they just used his name to *sell* the books.

So, just as in this case, the "Don Pemberton's XX" books need to be changed over to the correct author. For example, FF lists almost 400 books in the Executioner series, Don Pemberton wrote 39 of them.

To keep the series linked (and so GR users who look it up by the 'selling name' on the cover can find it), we may want to keep Don Pemberton's name on the books, but in the second author position.

Thoughts?
Mad impulses to dive right in with me?

message 12: by Cait (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:39AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Carolyn wrote: "To keep the series linked (and so GR users who look it up by the 'selling name' on the cover can find it), we may want to keep Don Pemberton's name on the books, but in the second author position.

Thoughts?"

I've done this -- I find a useful role for the "author" in that case is "creator".

"Mad impulses to dive right in with me?"

*backs away slowly* :)

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments "Creator" sounds good!

= )

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments vicki_girl wrote: "Did you try the filter option? When I filter on the word 'Devil' both pop up. From there they can be combined."

sorry, sometimes we forget about the basic tools. Now I managed to combine both books. Thank you all!!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Cait wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "To keep the series linked (and so GR users who look it up by the 'selling name' on the cover can find it), we may want to keep Don Pemberton's name on the books, but in the second a..."

Cait, in this case should we use FF list as a basis to separate his books as author and "creator"??

message 16: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited Mar 04, 2010 11:07AM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Call it "Series Creator". That would keep it consistent with all of the Tom Clancy series (Netforce, Op Center, etc.) that he "created" but has written absolutely none of. (I've fixed most of the Clancy books, but there are still a lot with the wrong authors, particularly foreign language versions).

(an example of a "Clancy" series book)

If anyone really wants to tackle the Pemberton books, the site http://www.mackbolan.com/ should be of use to you, since it is dedicate to this series and lists all (or at least most) of the books, including the real authors.

message 17: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 04, 2010 11:58AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "Call it "Series Creator"...If anyone really wants to tackle the Pemberton books, the site http://www.mackbolan.com/ should be of use to you, since it is dedicate to this series and lists all (or at least most) of the books, including the real authors.

OK, "Series Creator" it is.

I've just spent the last two hours cross indexing the mackbolan.com site with the FF site listings onto an Excel sheet.
I found that both are needed, because the fan site doesn't list Dan Pemberton for *any* of the books, it has mistakenly taken another 'house' author name in some places (Stivers), and it is not as current as the FF list.
However, the FF list is missing some books in sequence, and needs the authors for the more recent books added from the fan site.

So, Laura (or anyone else), if you'd like a copy of the excel spreadsheet list to work from, please pm me with your email address and I'll send it right over. = )

message 18: by Laura (last edited Mar 05, 2010 09:16AM) (new)

Laura | 106 comments I would like to help in this task, please do send me your excel file to ... Thanks Carolyn, you did a great job.

message 19: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 482 comments I'm in. Love to help as well.

message 20: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments OK, sent file to both Linda and Sherry.
Please let me know if you don't get it, or have any problems with the file.
I'm online only until noon today, then offline until later tonight.

Thanks for offering to help!

message 21: by Lanica (new)

Lanica | 13 comments Here's a list that shows authors for each title...for 377 of them at least. No spin offs on this list.

http://www.mackbolan.com/bookindex.ph...

Hope it helps.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Sherry, I just got the excel file from Carolyn. How can we divide the work to be done??

message 23: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 18 comments I just wanted to drop in and tell everyone that is working on this "little" project that you are doing a great job. I admire you all for stepping up to the bat on this one. I took one look and started blubbering.

message 24: by Sherry (last edited Mar 05, 2010 10:54AM) (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 482 comments How about by series?
You take Able Team and I'll start with the Super Bolan Series. I'll work from the bottom of the list. I know Carolyn was also going to work on the list as well.

Just to confirm, I am following the Tom Clancy Example that This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For suggested with the "real" authors listed as the first authors and DP added in the last slot as "Series Creator."

For the Able Series, which were published under the name
Dick Stivers, we list the actual authors as the first author, Dick Stivers as the second author, and Don Pendleton as the third author with the role of "Series Creator".

Does the pen name (Dick Stivers) have a role?
Thoughts ...

I'm starting now and then will work more tonight

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments agreed Sherry, I will start with the Able series. But which denomination should I put to Dick Stivers? At FF, it shows as Dick Stivers (House Name):

Dick Stivers

I guess we could add him as an Author.

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Vicki wrote: "I just wanted to drop in and tell everyone that is working on this "little" project that you are doing a great job. I admire you all for stepping up to the bat on this one. I took one look and star..."

it's an interesting challenge Vicki and it's nice to work as a group in a same task.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments just finished Able series, Super Able Team and Heroes series. I will start the Phoenix Force, tomorrow.

message 28: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 482 comments I'm impressed!

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 482 comments Ok. Now I'm confused. For the Able Series, Isn't Don Pendleton supposed to be the Series Creator, not L.R. Payne?
Texas Showdown
Currently looks like this:
Dick Stivers, Don Pendleton, L.R. Payne ("Series Creator"), Larry Powell ("Series Creator").

I thought we were doing
L.R. Payne, Larry Powell, Dick Stivers, ("Series Creator"),Don Pendleton, ("Series Creator").

I thought the reasoning was that the actual authors are the first 2 writers, but that the last were the originator of the series. (See Cait's post #12 in this topic).

Can we clarify this? I'll do whatever the consensus is, but just don't want to be working at cross purposes...

message 30: by Laura (last edited Mar 06, 2010 07:26AM) (new)

Laura | 106 comments At FF, I found it as Texas Showdown where the supposed authors are Pendetlon&Stivers.
But if we follow Cait's recommendation into Carolyn's Excel file then Pen name will be Series Creator and Actual Author the Author. You are absolutely right, I will fix this series later on then.
At Macbolan this is more clear since it goes directly to the book's link.

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Dear Sherry:

I just fixed Able series, Super Able Team and Heroes series again. I will start to work on the Phoenix Force series, ok?

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Phoenix Force series fixed!! Now starting Stony Man series.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Just fixed Super Phoenix Force, Ashton Ford, Joe Copp and Stony Man series with all corresponding editions.

message 34: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Wow, you are speeding right along on those.
Great job! = )

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments thanks Carolyn, most of the work is done, just checking the remaining series.

message 36: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 482 comments Finisher SuperBolan. Starting Executioner.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments great!!

message 38: by Linda (new)

Linda Pendleton | 8 comments The correct name is Don Pendleton and yes, he was creator of the Executioner Series, and wrote the original 38 books. He should be listed on all the others, including the spin off series published by Harlequin/Gold Eagle as "Series Created by Don Pendleton" and not the author of those books.

I see there are still a large number of books to be corrected.

He also was author of the Joe Copp Private Eye Series of six books and the Ashton Ford Psychic Detective Series of six books and a few others, including those co-written with Linda Pendleton, his wife. (Me)

As I wrote to another "librarian" Rivka, who was confused by the creator vs authorship:
My husband Don Pendleton created and authored the first 38 Executioner books from 1969-1980. Then in 1980, he franchised his Mack Bolan Executioner characters to Harlequin...Gold Eagle...and since book # 39 the Harlequin publications have been written by other authors, and there have been spin off series, Able Team, Phoenix Force, Stony Man, Mack Bolan, Super Bolans, and The Executioner. They are all Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan, Don Pendleton's The Executioner, and etc. but he was not the author (only the Series Creator of those later books.) Don Pendleton should be listed as the Series Creater of all those 700 or so books actually written my another person such as Jon Guenther, Mike Newton, and the many others who have written the books since 1981.

That being said, book #16 Sicilian Slaughter was actually written by someone else, although it is owned by Don's estate and considered part of his original series.

If it would help you can read more about him and the list of his Executioners at the website, www.donpendleton.com

I hope this clears it up for you. I know it is complicated with the large number of books
Let me know if I can help more.

My best, Linda Pendleton

dCarolyn wrote: "Oh, another *fun* author!

I see there are about 500 books left on his profile.

However, when I looked up the author's page on Fantastic Fiction, I found that while he wrote a bunch of books,..."

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments thanks for this clarification Linda, I will start to fix his authorship in all the mentioned series.

message 40: by Carolyn (last edited May 26, 2010 02:38PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Linda, while I can see that a number of books still need the 'Series Creator' designation, and Don Pendleton's name moved to the 2nd author position, a lot of work has already been done to correctly attribute and number all his books.

-Currently there are over 680 unique books listed on his author page.
-The Joe Copp and Ashton Ford series are already correctly attributed.
-He is also listed as co-author on several books with your name as well.

It would be helpful if you could let us know the names of any authors we may have missed (such as #16 Sicilian Slaughter).

Since we have already exhausted many other resources, it would be helpful if you could let us know which books GR is missing under his name. As I mentioned, he has 680+ books on his profile currently, you mention 700+ books - can you help to find and post here the missing ones?

Thanks!

message 41: by Linda (new)

Linda Pendleton | 8 comments Hi Carolyn,

I know most of the books have a correct listing as I wnt through them all the other day when I contacted goodreads about the errors of attribution. There is almost 700 and will be that many in the next month or so. Anyway, Executioner # 16, Sicilian Slaughter was authored by a house name of Jim Peterson who was actualy William Crawford. Series Creater, Don Pendleton.

Here is a list of what I found that have Don listed as author when he should only be listed as Series Creator.
Fire Zone (Mack Bolan The Executioner #371)
by Don Pendleton, Russell Davis

and not listed correctly as creator on all of these:

Gathering Storm (Stony Man #76)
by Mike Linaker, Don Pendleton
Rogue Agent (Mack Bolan The Executioner #199)
by Don Pendleton, David Robbins

Sicilian Slaughter (The Executioner, 16)
by Don Pendleton, Jim PetersHell Road (Mack Bolan The Executioner #205)
by Don Pendleton, Dan SchmidHawaiian Heat (Mack Bolan The Executioner #155)
by Don Pendleton, Mike Newton
Prime Target (Mack Bolan The Executioner #201)
by Don Pendleton, Rick Price

Primal Law (Mack Bolan The Executioner #344)

Shock Waves (Mack Bolan The Executioner #81)
Haitian Hit (Mack Bolan The Executioner #129)
Jungle Justice (Mack Bolan The Executioner #334)
Invisible Invader (Mack Bolan The Executioner #267)

Nuclear Reaction (Mack Bolan The Executioner #338)
Double Action (Mack Bolan The Executioner #167)
by Don Pendleton, Ron Renauld
Firing Line (Mack Bolan The Executioner #158)
by Don Pendleton, Roland Green
Killing Range (Mack Bolan The Executioner #190)
Trigger Point (Mack Bolan The Executioner #262)
by Don Pendleton, Gerald Montgomery
Ice Wolf (Mack Bolan The Executioner #131)
by Don Pendleton, Mel Odom
Fire Sweep (Mack Bolan The Executioner #165)
Force Down (Mack Bolan The Executioner #180)
by Don Pendleton, Rich Rainey
Sudan Slaughter (Mack Bolan The Executioner #128)
by Don Pendleton, Kirk Sanson
Freedom Strike (Mack Bolan The Executioner #207)
by Don Pendleton, David North
War Paint (Mack Bolan The Executioner #188)
Jackal Hunt (Mack Bolan The Executioner #232)
Shattered Trust (Mack Bolan The Executioner #268)
Kill Trap (Mack Bolan The Executioner #138)
by Don Pendleton, Kirk Sanson
Terminal Option (Mack Bolan The Executioner #228)
by Don Pendleton, Dan Schmidt
Fission Fury (Mack Bolan The Executioner, #214)
Hellfire Trigger (Mack Bolan The Executioner #237)
by Don Pendleton, Mark Ellis
Shoot Down (Mack Bolan The Executioner #198)
by Don Pendleton, Michael Kasner
Slaughter House (Mack Bolan The Executioner #332)
System Corruption (Mack Bolan the Executioner #374)
by Don Pendleton, Mike Linaker
Message To Medellin (Mack Bolan The Executioner #151)
Entry Point (Mack Bolan The Executioner #319)
by Don Pendleton, Jon Guenther
Dragon's Den (Mack Bolan The Executioner #347)
Risk Factor (Mack Bolan The Executioner #253)
Judgment Day (Mack Bolan The Executioner #270)
Fire Burst (Mack Bolan The Executioner #186)
Warrior's Edge (Mack Bolan The Executioner #163)
by Don Pendleton, Rich Rainey
Hunting Cry (Mack Bolan The Executioner #206)
Soviet Specter (Mack Bolan The Executioner #304)
by Don Pendleton, Jerry vanCook
Death Gamble (Mack Bolan The Executioner #312)
by Don Pendleton, Tim Tresslar
Defense Breach (Mack Bolan The Executioner #356)
by Don Pendleton, Peter Spring
Fast Strike (Mack Bolan The Executioner #172)
Shifting Target (Mack Bolan The Executioner #181)
Evil Reborn (Mack Bolan The Executioner #241)
Kill Radius (Mack Bolan The Executioner #251)
Virtual Destruction (Mack Bolan The Executioner #245)
by Don Pendleton, William Fieldhouse
Loose Cannon (Mack Bolan The Executioner #367)
Exit Code (Mack Bolan The Executioner #320)
Terror Intent (Mack Bolan The Executioner, #219)
by Don Pendleton, Tim Somheil
Point Of Impact (Mack Bolan The Executioner, #256)
Homeland Terror (Mack Bolan The Executioner #336)
Stealth Striker (Mack Bolan The Executioner #272)
Flames of Fury (Mack Bolan The Executioner, #309)
Freedom Force (Mack Bolan The Executioner #265)
Iron Fist (Mack Bolan The Executioner #264)
Shifting Shadows (Mack Bolan The Executioner #269)
Precision Play (Mack Bolan The Executioner #257)
Pursued (Mack Bolan The Executioner #290)
Hostile Proximity (Mack Bolan The Executioner #239)
by Don Pendleton, Tim Somheil
Fatal Error (Mack Bolan The Executioner #142)
Pursued (Mack Bolan The Executioner #290)
Ring Of Retaliation (Mack Bolan The Executioner #283)
Scorpion Rising (Mack Bolan The Executioner #294)
Hostile Alliance (Mack Bolan The Executioner #295)
Red Horse (Mack Bolan The Executioner, #226)
by Don Pendleton, Will Murray
Dirty Mission (Mack Bolan The Executioner #277)
Fear Rally (Mack Bolan The Executioner #280)
Leviathan (Mack Bolan The Executioner #276)
Triple Reverse (Mack Bolan The Executioner #278)
Ultimate Price (Mack Bolan The Executioner #266)
Deadly Contact (Mack Bolan The Executioner #339)
Evil Code (Mack Bolan The Executioner #177)
by Don Pendleton, William Fieldhouse
Rogue Warrior (Mack Bolan The Executioner #287)
Nuclear Game (Mack Bolan The Executioner #296)
Dual Action (Mack Bolan The Executioner #330)
Orange Alert (Mack Bolan The Executioner #345)
by Don Pendleton, Peter Spring
Into the Fire (Mack Bolan The Executioner #308)
Sea Of Terror (Mack Bolan The Executioner #303)
Fire Zone (Mack Bolan The Executioner #371)
by Don Pendleton, Russell Davis
Rolling Death (Mack Bolan The Executioner #248)
Extreme Justice (Mack Bolan The Executioner #357)
Hostile Action (Mack Bolan The Executioner #193)
Hostile Action (Mack Bolan The Executioner #193)
Silent Threat (Executioner #380)
by Don Pendleton
War Tides (Stony Man #107)
by Don Pendleton
Extreme Instinct (Stony Man #108)
by Don Pendleton
Primary Directive (Stony Man Series #98)
by Don Pendleton
The Executioner : Shadow Search (Adventure 302)
by Don PendletonKilling Ground
by Don Pendleton
Blood Play
by Don Pendleton
Final Resort (Executioner Series #361)
by Don Pendleton
Frontier Fury by Don Pendleton
System Corruption (Executioner Series #374)
by Don Pendleton
Extraordinary Rendition
by Don Pendleton
Defense Breach (Executioner Series #356)
by Don Pendleton
Desperate Cargo (Executioner Series #377)
by Don Pendleton
Deep Recon (Executioner Series #379)
by Don Pendleton

message 42: by Linda (new)

Linda Pendleton | 8 comments Here is Don Pendleton's official bibliography if anyone needs to check it.

http://www.donpendleton.com/bibliogra...

Linda Pendleton

message 43: by Carolyn (last edited May 27, 2010 12:18PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Thanks for the list - that will make it easier to work through. We'll definitely add the correct author to #16 Sicilian Slaughter, and start the other books' corrections.

One question though: is there a distinction between the first and second groups in your list?

My understanding was that he should be listed as "Series Creator" for all of the books in your email. (We don't have two categories of 'Creator' and 'Series Creator', we just use "Series Creator".)

Again, thanks for your assistance with this process. = )

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Carolyn, I would like to help in this new task since I have worked with the cleanup before. If you agree of course.

message 45: by Linda (new)

Linda Pendleton | 8 comments However you designate it: Series Creator, or whatever.... No difference in the list other than I did not remove spaces when I posted it...
:-)

message 46: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Laura wrote: "Carolyn, I would like to help in this new task since I have worked with the cleanup before. If you agree of course."

Laura, thanks - feel free to go for it!
You did a great job before, and I'm out of town this weekend, so have fun. = )

I cleaned up #16 Sicilian Slaughter yesterday, but haven't touched the ones needing Don's name moved to last position and adding "Series Creator" next to them.

Let me know if you need anything - I'll be back online on Tuesday.

Have a great weekend!

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Carolyn, I will work in order to fix Linda's list. Enjoy your weekend!!

message 48: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ssaccoliti) | 482 comments I had been working on this slowly but really appreciate the help.
The new ones published in 2010 are the ones that need the correct authors added.
In addition, there are a series of book in french that I have been uable to correctly find the English edition. The numbers in the French and English series don't line up.
All help welcome.

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Sherry, which are the series of books in French?

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura | 106 comments Lisa's list all fixed.

« previous 1