On the Same Page discussion

Book of the Week > Book(s) of the Week: The Twilight Saga

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megkelly) | 47 comments Mod
Starting now, every week there will be one book that we focus on. To you this can mean that you read the book, look into it, or if you have already read it then post your thoughts. I was trying to think of something that everyone had read, but due to the different opinions didn't know what to choose. I finally decided on Twilight. Not because of the quality of the book, nor my opinion. My choice in the end was based off the majority of people I thought might have read it. If you have a book that you think deserves the spotlight make sure to post it!

My thoughts on Twilight: In the beginning I have to admit I was hooked like almost every other teenage girl, but after thinking about it I found the one, I hated Bella, and two I only liked Edward. Now before you jump ahead and say "OMG, she loves Edward," I found that throughout the book my views on him changed. Edward does things before he thinks. If I was Bella and Edward left me like in "New Moon" I wouldn't have waited for him to come back. Yah, he says he leaves to keep her safe, but is that true in the long run? If he really loved her he would have stayed. Jacob and Bella are meant for each-other but (Sob, sob) if the book had went MY (and a bunch of other girls way) the story would have ended. One of my important questions that connects to Breaking Dawn is would Jacob had imprinted on Renesmee if he hadn't had loved Bella. This question really is effected by the reader's perspective. You don't have too, but try to answer. Another of my questions is why does Bella choose to become immortal to spend her life with Edward. Try to think about it this way; Bella only every mentions that she loves Edward because of his looks. Yah she also says something about loving him for his soul and good intentions but you should only love someone for that, you should feel comfortable around them, ect. So, with all this said she really just becomes immortal so she can look at him for eternity. She won't need food or water, just Edward and blood. (Make sure to comment, post reviews or you opinion. Ask questions for other people to answer, start a discussion, or answer the questions that I posed above.)

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (noreally) | 28 comments Mod
My thoughts on Twilight: It copied loads of ideas from Vampire Diaries. I don't like Twilight, exept for Breaking Dawn. Read Twilight? Read the book that deserves the credit: Vampire Diaries!

message 3: by Meg (new)

Vampire Diaries also copied loads from Buffy. Its so funny how it goes so many ways

message 4: by Melanie (new)

No, it didn't. It all started with Dracula. Smith was just following the standards of vamps from there. But its not the vampire culture, its the plot aside from vamps that makes her so great. Buffy was just yet another series that used Dracula and the Vampire concept. And I'm sure many more before Buffy did too. Twilight? There is even a phrase in Vampire Diaries that mentions 'Twilight' as a time of day in emphasis. And much, much more. This was just one of the dozens of examples that all weave together into one blanked of proof.

message 5: by Meg (last edited Mar 08, 2010 06:39PM) (new)

Nicki wrote: "No, it didn't. It all started with Dracula. Smith was just following the standards of vamps from there. But its not the vampire culture, its the plot aside from vamps that makes her so great. Buffy..." How do you know it didn't? Some of the lines the exactly the same as those in Twilight and Vamp Diaries. What I meant by it goes different ways is the those are the direct connections that I saw, and that all (so many way) vampire books are someway or another connected, even if it wasn't intentional. I agree, it did all start with maybe Dracula. What if it started earlier???? By the way, would you like to nick-name your self? If you go to members and add a title to yourself then you can have one like mine "Leader of Readers."

message 6: by Meg (new)

Nicki wrote: "My thoughts on Twilight: It copied loads of ideas from Vampire Diaries. I don't like Twilight, exept for Breaking Dawn. Read Twilight? Read the book that deserves the credit: Vampire Diaries!" It defiantly deserves the credit. Way to go Nicki

message 7: by Melanie (new)

No, it actually didn't. It started with Dracula, which was written in Medival Times, I think. Maybe not. But a long long time ago.