Best Teen Books discussion

Realistic Fiction

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 39 comments I read a lot of realistic fiction but I wouldn't automatically say that books that deal with difficult topics or are dark are depressing. I think making it to the other side of pain is a good thing. It's hopeful.

I am interested in books that tackle hard questions or circumstances and the character experiences some change or doesn't.

What would you recommend?

message 2: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Take a look at Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas. It is a novel in verse, father abuses mom, son and daughter but leaves his other daughter alone and she thinks she is furniture, because he doesn't "pay attention" to her. There is so much darkness in the family,but the main character, Anye, (I think that is her name) joins a volleyball team and through the notion of team and supporting one another, she finds her voice....I won't tell you anymore...but it is a terrific, gripping read.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Alabaugh | 15 comments Check out The Hate List,Flash Burnout, and Some Girls Are.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 39 comments We have Because I Am Furniture. Will look for it. Hate List is on my tbr and so is Flash Burnout. Thanks.