Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > actors and movies

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments We have all seen movies in which principal actors were miscast, but the question remains, who would have done a much better job? Name some movies in which one or another did only a mediocre job and let us know who you think would have been the more appropriate actor/actress.
Along the same lines, I see a progression throughout cinematic history of certain roles designated for certain actors who become supplanted in the next generation of actors by another outstanding actor.
Jimmy Stewart as the all around nice guy, family man, responsible worker with a high ethical sense gets replaced by whom? William Holden. The latest to fit that bill is Tom Hanks, but before him was Kevin Kostner.
What other archetypes can you come up with and who were the other intergenerational leaders to those roles?

message 2: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Prior to Stewart it would have been Walter Huston; and in the 40's and early 50's I think Joesph Cotton probably fit this same bill.

message 3: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments Wish I was more familiar with Walter Huston´s work. I have always been a great admirer of his son and grand daughter, John and Angelica.
Of all the villains in all the films I have watched the most loathsome creature of them all is Faye Dunaway´s father, acted by John Huston, in CHINATOWN. I hate that character with a passion and have fantasized slitting his throat in the scene on his ranch with Jack Nickolson. What acting to elicit that emotion from me!

message 4: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments Joseph Cotton has one of the most memorable lines ever in cinematic history when he is talking about the upcoming age of the automobile at the dinner party in THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS. What passion, foresight, nostalgia and confessional, all rolled in one.

message 5: by Ivan (last edited Mar 03, 2010 10:22AM) (new)

Ivan Geoffrey wrote: "Wish I was more familiar with Walter Huston´s work. I have always been a great admirer of his son and grand daughter, John and Angelica.
Of all the villains in all the films I have watched the mo..."

It is hard to believe that John Huston was not even nominated for "Chinatown" - and I would have given him the award. Walter gave one great performance after another in films like "Abraham Lincoln," "Rain," "Gabriel Over the White House," "American Madness," "Dodsworth," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," "Criminal Code," "The Devil and Daniel Webster" and his Oscar winning turn in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre." On Broadway he created roles in "Desire Under the Elms" and "Knickerbocker Holiday" (in which he sang "September Song") - he is one of the all time greats. I'd love to see Anjelica or Danny host an AMC festival of Walter's films.

message 6: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments I have only seen THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER,so many years ago I hardly recall it. I only saw the second half of THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE and was somewhat put off by Bogart´s poor rendition of a man losing his mind. I don´t recall the Huston character as I was paying so much attention to Bogie, my man.
The TREASURE was written by Traven, a publicity shy American who emigrated to Mexico in the 30´s and wrote many wonderful novels about Mexico.No one knew for sure who Traven was, but cinematic rumor had an obscure character checking out the production of the movie who introduced himself by another name and everyone suspected that it was TRAVEN himself. The man never fessed up to his devious presence, but only years after was it finally determined that that kindly gentleman who hung around Houston´s set was actually the unknown author himself.

message 7: by Ivan (last edited Mar 03, 2010 03:23PM) (new)

Ivan Geoffrey wrote: "I have only seen THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER,so many years ago I hardly recall it. I only saw the second half of THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE and was somewhat put off by Bogart´s poor renditio..."

You really should see those films in full - makes all the difference. Walter Huston was considered an actor's actor and he worked with the best directors and writers of that era: Griffith, Vidor, Sidney Howard, William Saroyan, O'Neill, Maxwell Anderson, Kurt Weill, Milestone, Capra, La Cava, Hawks, Wellman, Wyler, Dieterle, Curtiz and some young upstart named John Huston.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5236 comments Walter Huston fans shouldn't miss his marvelous turn in THE FURIES, available in an excellent Criterion DVD. It was, I believe, his last film, and he has a great time.

I am, of course, a huge Walter Huston fan. His work in TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE is one of my favorite performances.

Anyone spot him in THE MALTESE FALCON?

message 9: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Oh, yeah. I'll have to get THE FURIES - doesn't that co-star Barbara Stanwyck?

message 10: by Phillip (last edited Mar 03, 2010 10:20PM) (new)

Phillip | 10367 comments yeah, and stanwyck absolutely rules in it. check it out. the furies is in my collection and that makes me happy.

tom,
is walter huston the captain of the ship in the maltese falcon?

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5236 comments Yes,, that's him!