Q&A With Susan Higginbotham discussion

The Traitor's Wife > Questions: Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 36 comments Mod
Here's the place for your questions that contain plot spoilers.

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I have one question. I'm not as learned as some of your other readers about Edward and the goings on of that time. My question is: Did Edward and his niece, Eleanor really err, you know, do it? LOL I can't remember if that was addressed in author's notes or not. It was a superb book but that took me by surprise and I was wondering if that is fact or something speculated?

message 3: by Susan (new)

It's not known that they had a sexual relationship, but there was contemporary innuendo to that effect, and a couple of historians have recently entertained the idea quite seriously. It is known from Edward II's household records that he showered Eleanor with gifts and spent time alone with her--he even named a ship after her! My friend Kathryn translated some of Edward's chamber accounts last summer, and posted them on her blog--the ones about Eleanor are fascinating.

http://edwardthesecond.blogspot.com/2...

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Oh wow. Thank you. I didn't have any idea. I was embarrassed to ask you for fear I would look ignorant but I wanted to know. LOL. Guess the gay king wasn't gay..but bi. LOL Fascinating information. Thank you.

message 5: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Hi Susan,

How did you work out how to handle Hugh's character and relationships? I mean, I've never heard much good said about him (the words greedy & power hungry spring to mind) and also his bisexuality needed to be carefully and handled. I must admit that it was one of the reasons why I picked up The Traitor's Wife, because I was immensely curious how you would deal with him (or if you would cheat and just ignore his less palatable aspects) and ended up coming away in awe of your deftness :-).

message 6: by Susan (new)

Thanks! I just try to make my characters three-dimensional as possible, and since I find Edward II an attractive but flawed character, I felt that Hugh had to have some good points too since Edward was so fiercely devoted to him! His extant letters (in case you haven't seen Kathryn's excellent Edward II blog, she's been offering translations from some of them) show that he had a certain sense of humor, and he does seem to have had the virtue of loyalty. I pretty much built my characterization of him on that basis.