message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Recommended for ages 14+

This is the first book in the series!

If you like this book, the editors also recommend:
continue with the series Rebel Angels and The Sweet Far Thing
A Northern Light
A Certain Slant of Light

Post comments here!
*Mention if you plan on continuing the series!

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I really wanted to like this book, but I felt like it just fell flat for me. I am not going to read the rest of the series...
I did read a Certain Slant of Light and liked it, though!

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie This was a book I was really excited about! I am sorry to hear that! I am still going to get to it, although it might not be this month.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Stephanie wrote: "This was a book I was really excited about! I am sorry to hear that! I am still going to get to it, although it might not be this month."

I know a lot of people really like the series, I'm just not one of them. :-)

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I love gothic fiction and everything about this book grabbed me before I even began reading - the title, the cover art, the description on the back cover. However, once I began reading, I found the plot to be a little too bizarre for my taste. I also didn't really enjoy Gemma as a main character, and I didn't care for any of the secondary characters either. I am really torn between two and three stars, although curiosity might one day cause me to pick up the second book in the series.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara I just finished it, and I can see the bizarre factor, it took me a while to get into it and to like the characters. I just love the magic thing so I was sucked in to that storyline fairly quickly.
Overall, it was an entertaining read. I will probably read the next one, because it was left open ended and I do want to see what all the fuss is about Kartik. I have heard people say that they love him and I did not get that from this book, so I am thinking his character must shine more in the upcoming novels.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Tara wrote: "I just finished it, and I can see the bizarre factor, it took me a while to get into it and to like the characters. I just love the magic thing so I was sucked in to that storyline fairly quickly...."

That was the only thing tempting me to maybe, possibly, get the next book. Let me know what the fuss is about when you finish! :-)

message 8: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I really enjoyed this one. I was nervous when I first started it. The comments here and on the reviews had me hesitating. But, I thought the story wasn't too bad. I didn't think the paranormal/weird world stuff was any more of a stretch than Immortal Instruments or, even, Twilight.
I appreciated that the characters were flawed. I didn't necessarily like any of them too much, but I did understand the choices they made (good or bad) and I appreciate when characters remain consistent (or even surprise you with something you should have noticed sooner!).
The cover alone, I probably never would have picked this one up to read on my own. It was nice to have a light and easy read to break up some of the heavier stuff I've been reading.

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vicki507) | 18 comments I just started this one and so far I am finding it ok.

message 10: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I hope you enjoy it, Vicki! I look forward to seeing your comments/review :)

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vicki507) | 18 comments So far I am about 100 pages in and I want to keep reading, but real life is getting in the way :)

I do like it and hope to get some time tonight and tomorrow to try to read more or even finish it.