2009-2010 discussion

Classic Books > Oliver Twist

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 19 comments On page 42 Noah tries to get smart with Oliver Twist. Would you fight a person if they decided to talk about your dead mother? Would you be the bigger person? How do believed Oliver Felt Knowing that he was accused of starting a fight? Have you ever been placed in a situation where someone else lied on you?

message 2: by Jontay (new)

Jontay Barcus | 12 comments Wrote by Jasmine: On page 42 Noah tries to get smart with Oliver Twist. Would you fight a person if they decided to talk about your dead mother? Would you be the bigger person? How do believed Oliver Felt Knowing that he was accused of starting a fight? Have you ever been placed in a situation where someone else lied on you?

(Jontay):Yes i would defend my mother name by fighting back also. If your mother is dead there is no reason for someone to say anything about her even if she was alive. In a situation like that being the bigger person is out of the question all around. Once you have said that I am boiling mad I am letting it all out violence or whatever is necessasry. I would have been highly mad when the ladies acused me of starting the fight. He knew that pushing my buttons would get me mad and even worse talking about my dead mother. He is just asking for trouble. I was actually in a situation like that before in 8th grade. This boy didn't make the baseball for our school so the kids was talking about him including me. All i said was what happened out there on the baseball field and he had the ordasity to take my glasses off and threw them. For one i don;t like anyone touching my face so I got up and pushed him over a row of desks luckily i didn't do more. But when I went up to the office it was said that I started the because I said something about him but it was all in fun and games he was laughing with us. So I got suspended but i came back the next day because when the principal heard the full story he said the other kid was out of line and all was well.

message 3: by Jontay (new)

Jontay Barcus | 12 comments On page 83 When Oliver is with Mr.brownlow, Mr. brownlow and the old lady talk a lot about Oliver features and the way he looks so familiar compared to the lady on the wall? Do you think Mr. Bumble put out a wanted sign for Oliver considering that he ran away from Mr. and Mrs.Sowerberry? Or do you think these people may have known his parents? Or do you think these people are relatives of Oliver but just not saying anything about it knowing that it might startle young Oliver? Give proof of why you think your answer is correct.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Jontay wrote: "On page 83 When Oliver is with Mr.brownlow, Mr. brownlow and the old lady talk a lot about Oliver features and the way he looks so familiar compared to the lady on the wall? Do you think Mr. Bumble..."

I believe that Mr.Bownlow, Mr.Bedwin, and the old gentleman may have known the woman in the picture, and when the old gentleman saw Oliver he quickly noticed the same features. pg 83 " Why! what's this? Bedwin, look here? As he spoke, he pointed hastily to the picture above Oliver's head and then to the boy's face. There was its living copy." This statment makes me consider that they all indeed may know Oliver's roots of some sort.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Starting from the beginning of Oliver's life he has been treated poorly and badly by the people who were suppose to care and love him. What are your views or opinions of the people who have been in Oliver's life? ( Mr.Bumble, Mr.Fagin, Bill Sikes ect...)

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments On page 163 when Oliver gets on his knees and begs Bill not to send him into the house to continue with the robbery, what evidence from this chapter or another displays what kind of person Oliver really is?

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments On pages 211-219 why do you think Rose feels the need to protect and care for Oliver without knowing much about him? If somebody tried to rob your house and you shot them, would you take them in your care afterwards? Why do you think Mrs.Maylie and Rose did with Oliver?

message 8: by Jasmine (last edited Mar 04, 2010 06:05PM) (new)

Jasmine | 19 comments On page 45 Noah was running to find Mr. Sowerberry to tell on Oliver. What pleasure do you think he got out of seeing him get in trouble, when he was above Oliver?

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 19 comments Oliver Twist was punished for asking for another piece of bread. Why do you think it was such a problem to ask? Are you ever afraid to ask someone with authority for something?

message 10: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 19 comments Cheryl wrote: "Starting from the beginning of Oliver's life he has been treated poorly and badly by the people who were suppose to care and love him. What are your views or opinions of the people who have been in..."

I believe that every person who is in his life are not so nice. Mr. Bumble only listens to what he wants to hear. Mr. Fagini is using Oliver to pick hankerchiefs, and make him richer. However, Mr. Brownlow loves him and wants the best for him.

message 11: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 19 comments Cheryl wrote: "On pages 211-21 why do you think Rose feels the need to protect and care for Oliver without knowing much about him? If somebody tried to rob your house and you shot them, would you take them in yo..."

I believe Rose feels the need to protect Oliver because she feels responsible for his mother dying. Rose was maybe the only person who could have helped Oliver have a better child hood. If i shot someone who tried to rob my house, I would most likely not take care of them because I would feel that it was there fought. But since reading this book, I would quickly call the ambulance to let them know the situation.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Jasmine wrote: "Oliver Twist was punished for asking for another piece of bread. Why do you think it was such a problem to ask? Are you ever afraid to ask someone with authority for something?"

I wasn't a problem it was the fact that the society in 1800 london was horriable. Caretakers were mean and ruthless, Oliver asked an innocent question to something he should been granted with no questions asked. Im not scared to ask for something, unless it's from my mom and i think she may say no. lol

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Jasmine wrote: "On page 45 Noah was running to find Mr. Sowerberry to tell on Oliver. What pleasure do you think he got out of seeing him get in trouble, when he was above Oliver?"

For one Noah was some what jealous of the relationship Mr.Sowerberry and Oliver had,Since Oliver was Mr.Sowerberry's new apprentice, him and Oliver were always together, and Noah was nowhere to be found during their times together, so by getting Oliver out the way and to get things back to the way they were, he taunted Oliver and told lies to get him into trouble. So to see Oliver in pain and suffering, it was what he wanted.

message 14: by Jaiterra (new)

Jaiterra | 9 comments Jasmine wrote: "Oliver Twist was punished for asking for another piece of bread. Why do you think it was such a problem to ask? Are you ever afraid to ask someone with authority for something?"

I think that it was such a problem for Oliver to ask for another piece of bread because, he lived in kind of a shelter home for kids and that they didn't have enough food, so him asking for more food is kind of selfish, because if nobody else can have more what makes you think he is going to get more. No I have never been afraid to ask someone with authority for something because they are human just like me and to me if i ask a question i deserve an answer even if it's a stupid question.

message 15: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Jones | 12 comments In the book Oliver Twist, Oliver gets shot. Do you think that he is a past representation of 50 Cent, or do you think he is just a normal person that happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time?

message 16: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 6 comments Cheryl wrote: "On pages 211-219 why do you think Rose feels the need to protect and care for Oliver without knowing much about him? If somebody tried to rob your house and you shot them, would you take them?"

(Nathan)Well Oliver is young and they probably felt sorry for him, they might have thought that this was the only way for him to survive. If someone broke into my house and I shot them I would call 911 its not like it was back then

message 17: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 6 comments when Oliver gets shot you think that this is yet another twist to his life? have you noticed that his whole life is a big twist?

message 18: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 19 comments Brandon wrote: "In the book Oliver Twist, Oliver gets shot. Do you think that he is a past representation of 50 Cent, or do you think he is just a normal person that happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time?"

I believe that Oliver Twist is not a past represetation of 50 Cent. 5o Cent was involved in a lot of bad things and was older. Oliver was a young boy who didnt deserve to be shot, but because he was forced to break in someone's house he got punished. There is a big difference between the two.

message 19: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 6 comments Jasmine wrote: "Oliver Twist was punished for asking for another piece of bread. Why do you think it was such a problem to ask?"

because food cost money, and the if they had to give everyone more food then they would lose a lot, and they didn't want the kids getting enough food so they wouldn't have the energy to run away.

message 20: by Darion (new)

Darion | 8 comments Jasemine Wrote :On page 42 Noah tries to get smart with Oliver Twist. Would you fight a person if they decided to talk about your dead mother? Would you be the bigger person? How do believed Oliver Felt Knowing that he was accused of starting a fight? Have you ever been placed in a situation where someone else lied on you?

Yes,for the simple the fact of that my mother and she not here no more, so would think about every day and for someone to say like that to my mom.I would be to heated not to do something and at that i would feel obligated to do something about that to hurt that person. I would think about what my moma always told always defend your family.

message 21: by Darion (new)

Darion | 8 comments Would you have really stolen from those pepole if you were in oliver situation? Do you think it was wrong to steal in that situation?

message 22: by Darion (new)

Darion | 8 comments Jasmine wrote: "Oliver Twist was punished for asking for another piece of bread. Why do you think it was such a problem to ask?"

Because these pepole were selfish and didnt no how it felt to barely get anything to eat and they also dont want them to have enought strenght to get away but because. another reason i guess that they didnt want to give evryone another piece, or theirs no answer maybe they just dont like kids or theyjust do for thier satifaction.

message 23: by Jontay (new)

Jontay Barcus | 12 comments Jasmine wrote: "Oliver Twist was punished for asking for another piece of bread. Why do you think it was such a problem to ask? Are you ever afraid to ask someone with authority for something?"

I think it was a problem with them because Mr. Bumble and his friends wanted to keep the kids barely fed so they wouldn't get up the strentgh to try and fight back or run away. They gave them enough to get by but not enough to get satisfied. I am even sometimes afraid to ask my mom for extra stuff because considering that I am a football player we tend to eat a lot. So i may have eating a meal big enough for two people but I may want to ask for more. I jump back and forth saying do I want to ask or just leave it alone. My mom have actually fussed at me for asking for to much food so from now on out I just eat and leave the seconds for another day.