2009-2010 discussion

Classic Books > Brave New World

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valen (new)

Valen | 6 comments Try putting yourself in Bernard's shoes. How would you feel if it was you, instead of Bernard?

message 2: by Malik (new)

Malik Wheeler | 16 comments Valen wrote: "Try putting yourself in Bernard's shoes. How would you feel if it was you, instead of Bernard?

Being that I am not accustomed to life in the world of The Brave New World. It would be extremely difficult for me to follow their stringent rules.If I was Benard my attitude to the new world wouldn't be to different from his,Benard struggles with regular human emotions that mosst people in his time don't seem to have,so to him everbody seems like an outcast or different and all Benard wants to do is to be accepted but his emotions seem to get in his way.

message 3: by Malik (new)

Malik Wheeler | 16 comments Could it be possible that the future of our world could end up being like the future in the Brave New World?

message 4: by Malik (new)

Malik Wheeler | 16 comments In the Brave New World children at an early age children are classifed into groups which will indicate which jobs they will be working in for the rest of their lives,Do you think that being in econmic situation that were in now that children should be already place into jobs to limit unemployment?

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Wedgwood | 11 comments Do you find that the title Brave New World is fitting? Do you think that how the world is, is brave, or just somewhat outrageous and over planned and to thought out?

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben Wedgwood | 11 comments Malik wrote: Could it be possible that the future of our world could end up being like the future in the Brave New World?

While it is interesting to think about how the world will be thousands of years into the future, i find it hard to think that the world will have turned into a place like this. The way that children are born, and raised in the book, being in test tubes, and all of that sleep hypnosis, is pretty outrageous. It seems almost impossible that someone would make the decision to raise up little children like that, and teach them through sleep hypnosis. its always an interesting thought though...

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Wedgwood | 11 comments Valen wrote: "Try putting yourself in Bernard's shoes. How would you feel if it was you, instead of Bernard?

Well, i feel like if i were Bernard, then we would be somewhat in the same situation. i would find it very difficult to keep my mind from wondering the same things that Bernard questions in the book, like when you have emotion. i feel like if whenever i was mad, or sad, or feeling some unfavorable emotion, then it would be hard to just pop a pill and just go into endless hours of blank happiness. However much this may sound appealing, i think that it would be hard to just ignore my problems like that.

message 8: by Malik (new)

Malik Wheeler | 16 comments Ben wrote: "Do you find that the title Brave New World is fitting? Do you think that how the world is, is brave, or just somewhat outrageous and over planned and to thought out?"

I feel that the title fits perfectly.The only reason I picked up the book is because of its title it a new world and the brave for some reasons makes it seem like tis book is an adventure.

message 9: by Ada (new)

Ada Odey | 7 comments Valen wrote: "Try putting yourself in Bernard's shoes. How would you feel if it was you, instead of Bernard?"

He seems to be suffering from something i have come to identify as the isolated-geek-in-middle-school mentality. I used to have the same problem. Feeling an innate distinctive difference between myself and everyone else, unable to pinpoint exactly what is "wrong" with me. Or even if something is wrong with me, because I would do certain things because I knew they were right, and because everyone else disapproved of the actions, logically, that made everyone else "wrong". However "wrong" was so widely accepted, so established in that society, that it felt like it ought to be right, simply because everyone acted that way. So to that effect i was left wondering how to change myself. Since remaining with that mindset, of course, would have consequence of exponentially degrading my popularity and the respect i would receive from my peers, it seemed logical to attempt to go with the flow, and try to adopt their ways. However, it not only made me look worse in the eyes of others, but it made me feel like a dirtbag on the inside, ashamed for giving in to peer pressure and choosing not to be myself.

message 10: by Ada (new)

Ada Odey | 7 comments Malik wrote: "Ben wrote: "Do you find that the title Brave New World is fitting? Do you think that how the world is, is brave, or just somewhat outrageous and over planned and to thought out?"

I feel that th..."

Actually, about that, I sort of thought that "A Brave New World was a reference to how incredibly deviant the world in this book is from the world we know today. It seems to me that the connotation for "braveness" might be referring to the author's audacity to even propose such radically shameless ideas, of all places, in a UTOPIAN society. Where everyone is as comfortable with it as walking. I would would not be surprised if that, given the time frame this book was first was published in, it probably received a great deal of criticism from its first readers.

message 11: by Baiyina (new)

Baiyina Muhammad | 9 comments As i was reading "A Brave New World," I came across a point in the novel were the author refers back to the title. On page 139, john is finding out that he he has the option to come back to London with Bernard and lenina. John becomes excited and begins to quote a writer named Miranda. He says "Oh wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here? How beauteous mankind is! Oh Brave new world!" When i read books i love to see it when the author refers back to the title. In a way i find the statement quite ironic considering the fact that they are living in a society where things aren't really beautiful any more. They are living in a society where things are controlled. Even though in a controlled environment things could be "happier" the environment isn't beautiful any more because of the fact that it is not doing what nature intended. Natural is always more beautiful then artificial. What do you think about the title? How do you think it is connected to the book?(besides the fact that it is the title of the book)

message 12: by Baiyina (new)

Baiyina Muhammad | 9 comments Malik wrote: "Could it be possible that the future of our world could end up being like the future in the Brave New World?"

Yes I think so. I mean any thing is possible. Who knows what may happen in couple of centuries. Although it may sound outrageous growing babies in test tubes and giving every one "soma"(aka happy pills), it makes since that mankind would do some thing like that. Every day teenagers are getting pregnant and having unwanted children. who knows how many children are born because of accidents. think about how that effects the population. think about how the environment the unwanted child grows up in effects the person they turn out to be when they are an adult. If mankind just grows them in test tubes then guess what , they already know how many babies are going to be grown. that effects population. guess what since they know how many children are going to be grown they already know the equipment they may need to care for the babies. Making it to where humans cant have children themselves can change a lot. Living in a society where every thing is controlled can change alot... and in a sense its change for the better.

message 13: by Baiyina (new)

Baiyina Muhammad | 9 comments Malik wrote: "In the Brave New World children at an early age children are classifed into groups which will indicate which jobs they will be working in for the rest of their lives,Do you think that being in eco..."

Yes, Not just will it limit employment but it will also allow children to learn what they need to learn. Instead of forcing them to learn lots of information that they probably will not even use unless they are considering a career in it. Learning things that's not going to benefit some one is a waste of time. Instead of being forced to learn things like ionic compounds or weather or not there was a war over in Italy, they should be focused on excelling in the class that they are already good at. This person could be spending 2 hours on learning about wars or compounds when really the person has no interest in those subjects, this person could already have excessive skills in doing math. That person should be using the time spent with science on more math. That way that person becomes even more smarter in the area that they are good at. So yes children should be conditioned to do specific jobs.

message 14: by Amandla (new)

Amandla Adams | 18 comments In my opinion, if soma was created in today's society, there would be lower death rates since people wouldn't feel mad enough to kill others or commit suicide. "Remember one cubic centimetre cures ten gloomy sentiments." "A gramme is better than a damn," concluded Lenina with dignity and drank the soma sundae herself.(Huxley, 24) What do you think?

message 15: by Amandla (new)

Amandla Adams | 18 comments "In brief," the Director summed up," the parents were the father and the mother." "Mother," he repeated loudly rubbing in the science, and leaning back in his chair, "These," he said gravely, " are unpleasant facts; I know it. But then most historical facts are unpleasant."(Huxley, 24)
If the invention of creating kids without a parent was in our time span, would you feel that having a mother and father would be unnecessary and should be stopped?

message 16: by Amandla (new)

Amandla Adams | 18 comments On pages 25-28, do you think that if we all listened to our education in our sleep, everyone would be passing their classes and would likely become more successful than the traditional way of teaching?

message 17: by Amandla (new)

Amandla Adams | 18 comments Malik wrote: "Could it be possible that the future of our world could end up being like the future in the Brave New World?"
It is possible that the future in this world might end up like this book because in the books world, its impossible to get STD's thus helping out A LOT with the whole AIDS and HIV controversy. They would also be able to stop the whole abstinence thing that adults are trying to impose on us but nobody listens.

message 18: by Amandla (new)

Amandla Adams | 18 comments Ben wrote: "Do you find that the title Brave New World is fitting? Do you think that how the world is, is brave, or just somewhat outrageous and over planned and to thought out?"
I kind of think that the Brave New World is fitting since everyone seems to be happy and they don't have to worry about things happening in their time span that happens all the time in our time span. I think our world is brave yet outrageous because it is trying to do its best for peace, but certain things that they can't resolve peacefully would be solved violently which I think is outrageous since turning to violence would only lead to more problems.

message 19: by Donovan (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments In the book, they portray Henry Ford as they're God, or more like the God of industrialization. Do you think you would be able to live in a world where a man who created the first automobile was the ruler?

message 20: by Jazmyn (new)

Jazmyn M | 8 comments In the beginning of the book on page 5 i was very intrigued and interested in reading more.It's firstbig encounter that i read was about the fact that in the future babies are too be produced in test tube in counts of thirty-five. I found this outrageous because a mother can't experience the natural beautiful essence of giving birth to her own child. can we really imagine a world like this? Would you want your child produced in a numbered tube?

message 21: by Jazmyn (new)

Jazmyn M | 8 comments "Ben wrote: "Do you find that the title Brave New World is fitting? Do you think that how the world is, is brave, or just somewhat outrageous and over planned and to thought out?"

I think that this world is completely ridiculous. i think that when you have so much order life can become boring and you cant really experience anything because it's basically already planned out.

message 22: by Jazmyn (new)

Jazmyn M | 8 comments Malik wrote:In the Brave New World children at an early age children are classifed into groups which will indicate which jobs they will be working in for the rest of their lives,Do you think that being in econmic situation that were in now that children should be already place into jobs to limit unemployment?

I think that doing that would cause alot of chaos because that may not be what they want too do and it might not be the type of money that they want too make. But then again if we were born into a world where everything was controlled and ordered then we would'nt know the difference or option of freedom like how we do in our world and children would just be immune to the fact that they couldn't change their society.

message 23: by Donovan (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments Malik wrote: "In the Brave New World children at an early age children are classifed into groups which will indicate which jobs they will be working in for the rest of their lives,Do you think that being in eco..."

its sad to say but I think yes. Its already hard for teenagers to get a job right now, so I think children should be given an occupation for when they get older because of the economic situation.

message 24: by Donovan (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments Malik wrote: "Could it be possible that the future of our world could end up being like the future in the Brave New World?"

Yes I think so because of the whole economic breakdown and the way the world is going now with earthquakes and major catastrophes happening, we're going to have to devise some kind of plan and I think the way the world is being ran in Brave New World, that's the best way in my opinion.

message 25: by Valen (last edited Mar 07, 2010 11:07AM) (new)

Valen | 6 comments Malik wrote: "In the Brave New World children at an early age children are classifed into groups which will indicate which jobs they will be working in for the rest of their lives,Do you think that being in econmic situation that were in now that children should be already place into jobs to limit unemployment?"

I absolutely disagree with this practice. I think that people were given free will for a reason and this directly tampers with free will. I think that even though our economic situation might not be the best, that people could try a little harder. People should be allowed to choose for themselves and not be made stupid or smart by genetic conditioning.

message 26: by Valen (new)

Valen | 6 comments Amandla wrote: "In my opinion, if soma was created in today's society, there would be lower death rates since people wouldn't feel mad enough to kill others or commit suicide. "Remember one cubic centimetre cures ten gloomy sentiments." "A gramme is better than a damn," concluded Lenina with dignity and drank the soma sundae herself.(Huxley, 24) What do you think?"

I think that Soma was created to make people feel and experience a state of happiness that doesnt actually exist. Soma is nothing more than a common drug akin to many of the drugs that people use today. Personally, I think that death rates might lower but at what cost? The total loss of human emotion to a drug that creates fake happiness?