2009-2010 discussion

Classic Books > Pride & Prejudice

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linden (new)

Linden Weng | 7 comments "Does the title fit the story?"

message 2: by Shavonne (new)

Shavonne | 11 comments The order in which Jane Austen describes things -- describes before she actually tells what she is talking about -- makes me confused. Such as when she describes Mr. Darcy's house and using Pemberly instead of saying it was Mr. Darcy's house first. (pg. 25)What about the book makes you confused?

message 3: by Semira (last edited Mar 03, 2010 06:59PM) (new)

Semira A | 14 comments The quality of the writing

Is very unique they use words that I haven't heard before,an example of one is lament(pg.80)"After breakfast,the girls walked to Meryton to inquire if Mr.Wickham were returned,and to lament over his absence from the Netherfield ball." For some sentence sometimes you have to picture out what the sentence is saying, or you have to read it twice so you could understand what it means .Is there any words that you don't understand,or heard of it before?

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 03, 2010 03:44PM) (new)

Stephanie | 10 comments Linden wrote: ""Does the title fit the story?""

Yes, the book "Pride & Prejudice" lives up to it's name,by expressing different aspects of wealthy life and commoner life in 17th century Europe. Elizabeth was born into a commoner's life,in a struggling family, but Mr.Darcy and Mr.Bingley were born into a rich family, with a lavish lifestyle. The best examples of whit and intelligence is when Elizabeth replies to Jane about ,(pg.66)"I have no doubt of Mr.Bingley's sincerity', said Elizabeth warmly; but you must excuse my not being convinced by assurances only."

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 10 comments Is Elizabeth subtle or vivid with her emotions? If so, what situations does she assert herself?

message 6: by Alexandra (last edited Mar 03, 2010 04:35PM) (new)

Alexandra | 13 comments Quote a passage & respond to it. How did it make you feel?

"There is also one other person in the party, who more particulary wishes to be know to you,-Will you allow me, or do I ask to much, to introduce my sister to your acquantice during your stay at Lambton?", said Mr. Darcy to Elizabeth (page 171)

When Mr. Darcy asks Elizabeth to meet his sister I feel it shows his high regard for her. I think when a love interest wants someone to meet a close family member such as Ms. Darcy it validates their interest.

How do you feel about Mr. Darcy's want of Elizabeth and Ms. Darcy's acquaintance?

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 13 comments Elizabeth's uncle referring to Mr. Darcy says: "He is perfectly well behaved, polite, and unassuming" (page 172)

Why do you think the perception of Mr. Darcy has changed from Elizabeth's initial hatred?

Personally I think Mr. Darcy was never a bad man. He was just a little misunderstood because he wasn't the most sociable creature. He really just had to be comfortable in his environment to truly express himself.

What do you think about the subject?

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 13 comments Stephanie wrote: "Is Elizabeth subtle or vivid with her emotions? If so, what situations does she assert herself?"

I feel Elizabeth is rather vivid with her emotions. She doesn't hide or sugar coat her feelings. For example upon Mr. Darcy's offer of marriage, she blatantly rejected him. She gave her reasons and was strong in her position. She is definitely not the girl to do something she does not agree with.

message 9: by Semira (last edited Mar 03, 2010 07:21PM) (new)

Semira A | 14 comments Shavonne wrote: "What about the book makes you confused?

The part that I was confused is, when they use the name Miss Bingley ,at first I was like Mr. Bingley is looking for a wife so that can't be it, then I read (pg.10)" His sister were very anxious for his having an estate of his own;but though he was now established only as a tenant ,Miss Bingley was by no means unwilling to preside at his table ,nor was Mrs.Hurst ,who had his house as her home when it suited her."Then I realize that Miss Bingley is the sister of Mr.Bingley

message 10: by Semira (last edited Mar 03, 2010 07:49PM) (new)

Semira A | 14 comments Stephanie wrote: "Is Elizabeth subtle or vivid with her emotions? If so, what situations does she assert herself?"

The way that I feel Elizabeth is described in this book is vivid person because she will tell you straight forward.When Mr.Darcy told Elizabeth that he likes her, she told him about her feelings. (pg.132)

message 11: by Stephanie Tran (new)

Stephanie Tran (stephanienguyentran) | 19 comments Why would Mrs. Bennet be happy that Lydia is married to Mr. Wickham even though it costed her family so much money?

message 12: by Stephanie Tran (new)

Stephanie Tran (stephanienguyentran) | 19 comments 1. Evaluate whether the title fits the story?

I think the title really fits with the story b/c the main characters in the book are Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. Mr. Darcy in the book is described as a cocky guy, Elizabeth explains that he has so much pride and at first she doesn't like it. Mr. Darcy's pride goes with the Pride part of the title. Then Prejudice is Elizabeth because through out the whole book she is always being talked about because of her fup bringings and her social class.

message 13: by Zuleyma (new)

Zuleyma Robles | 13 comments when charlotte was giving well an advice to Jane...when she said: "Happiness in marrige is entirely a matter of chance. ;and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."(page 14)
What do you think about that would you agree with charlotte?

message 14: by Zuleyma (new)

Zuleyma Robles | 13 comments Alexandra wrote: "There is also one other person in the party, who more particulary wishes to be know to you,-Will you allow me, or do I ask to much, to introduce my sister to your acquantice during your stay at Lambton?", said Mr. Darcy to Elizabeth (page 171)
it make me feel that he was trying to express his feelings tours her.since he been talking about her eyes. Also he said: "will you allow me," he was asking to be response back if there was something going on between them. But Alexandra how about you how you felt???

message 15: by Stephanie Tran (new)

Stephanie Tran (stephanienguyentran) | 19 comments Elizabeth's uncle referring to Mr. Darcy says: "He is perfectly well behaved, polite, and unassuming" (page 172)

Why do you think the perception of Mr. Darcy has changed from Elizabeth's initial hatred?

Well at first like Elizabeth I thought Mr. Darcy was a cocky man and could care less about anyone around him. Then as I read the book more I learned about Mr. Darcy's true nature. I guess the same thing was for Elizabeth she read him like a book and she slowly got more into the book and she discovered that Mr. Darcy isn't such a bad guy.

message 16: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 12 comments Quote a passage & respond to it. How did it make you feel?

"But that expression of "violently in love" is so hackneyed, so doubtful, so indefinite, that it gives me very little idea. It is as often applied to feelings which arise from an half-hour's acquaintance, as to real, strong attachment. Pray, how violent was Mr. Bingleys's love?"(page 96)

This quote is showing concern towards Mr. Bingley's love for Elizabeth, questioning is his love real and how deep are his emotions. A few lines before it explains how Mr. Bingley has only known Elizabeth for a short amount of time but is so "violently in love" with her one moment and then not the next. It says "A young man, such as you describe Mr.Bingley, so easily falls in love with a pretty girl for a few weeks, and then when accident separates them, so easily forgets her." So again, asking "How violent is his love?, does he really love her or is it just fatal attraction?

message 17: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 12 comments Stephanie Tran wrote: "Why would Mrs. Bennet be happy that Lydia is married to Mr. Wickham even though it costed her family so much money?"

I believe that Mrs. Bennet was happy beacuse even though it costed her family a lot of money and despite Lydia and Mr. Wickham's age difference, Mrs. Bennet believes in love and that no amount of money or any restrictions should be put upon love. In real life, the same sort of thing happens where people have many odds stacked against them and their relationship but they realize how strong their love is and love conquers all.

message 18: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Murrah | 5 comments What do you think about that would you agree with charlotte?

Virgnia: I believe that Charlotte didnt really marry for love I believe that she married for money so she could have a comfertable rest of her lfe. I believe that she was taking a chance on love and figured in time she could learn to love Mr. Collins.

message 19: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Murrah | 5 comments Breanna wrote: "Quote a passage & respond to it. How did it make you feel?

"But that expression of "violently in love" is so hackneyed, so doubtful, so indefinite, that it gives me very little idea. It is as o..."

I do believe that Mr. Bingley and Jane are truely in love. They end up getting married in the end. I think it can be confusing because Jane seems to be ore a shy girl who does not show her emotions as deeply as Mr.Bingley does.

message 20: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Murrah | 5 comments I believe that in the beginig of the book Mr.Darcy is portrayed as a very stuck up cruel man who doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself. But as the book goes on it is shown that he actually very kind and means well, he is just quiet and very conservative about things. I wouldn't mind being Mr. Darcy or Elizabeths friend. Elizabeth seems very care free and like a fun loving girl, although she was very quick to judge Mr. Darcy on what kind of person he was only because of his income and what she heard from others. I do believe they are both worthy of my friendship though!

message 21: by Alexandra (last edited Mar 04, 2010 08:00PM) (new)

Alexandra | 13 comments Ms. Reynolds, Mr. Darcy's housekeeper, continues to praise him as well as his father. She says on page 166, "If I was to go through the world, I could not meet with a better."

What does Ms. Reynolds' compliment say about Mr. Darcy?

I feel being acclaimed by one's help shows the person's genuine concern for all people even those below them in class.

What do you think?

message 22: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 13 comments Zuleyma wrote: "when charlotte was giving well an advice to Jane...when she said: "Happiness in marrige is entirely a matter of chance. ;and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."(page 14)
What do you think about that would you agree with charlotte?
"

Personally I don't agree with Charlotte. I feel marriage is a commitment to someone a person is already in love with. Charlotte makes it seem that marriage is a chance to find someone who is fairly stable who you just might fall in love with. Despite the way I feel on the subject, the time period of the novel must be taken into consideration. Back then people married for an increase in status and wealth.

message 23: by Shavonne (new)

Shavonne | 11 comments Zuleyma wrote: " when charlotte was giving well an advice to Jane...when she said: "Happiness in marrige is entirely a matter of chance. ;and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."(page 14)
What do you think about that would you agree with charlotte? "

I dont agree with Charlotte. I think that you should find happiness in every marriage, but then you have to remember wht time period they are livin in because that has a lot of affect on what they base thier marriages on -- wealth then and actual love now.

message 24: by Shavonne (new)

Shavonne | 11 comments Virginia wrote: "I believe that in the beginig of the book Mr.Darcy is portrayed as a very stuck up cruel man who doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself. But as the book goes on it is shown that he actually very kind and means well, he is just quiet and very conservative about things. I wouldn't mind being Mr. Darcy or Elizabeths friend. Elizabeth seems very care free and like a fun loving girl, although she was very quick to judge Mr. Darcy on what kind of person he was only because of his income and what she heard from others. I do believe they are both worthy of my friendship though! "

I agree that Mr. Darcy is not as stuck up as he was shown in the beggining of the book, but he did have his stuck up moments. Elizabeth was quick to judge but that wasnt because of what he said about her.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 8 comments "Stephanie wrote: "Is Elizabeth subtle or vivid with her emotions? If so, what situations does she assert herself?"

In my opinion, I believe Elizabeth is very vivid with her emotions and straightforward with her thinking. For example, when she rejected his porposal and also when Mr. Darcy tells her his feelings for her, she simply tells her feelings for him. Elizabeth is just brutally honest, dont you agree?

message 26: by Linden (new)

Linden Weng | 7 comments Stephanie wrote: "Linden wrote: ""Does the title fit the story?""

Yes, the book "Pride & Prejudice" lives up to it's name,by expressing different aspects of wealthy life and commoner life in 17th century Europe. El..."

In response to my question, Stephanie wrote, "Yes, the book "Pride & Prejudice" lives up to it's name,by expressing different aspects of wealthy life and commoner life in 17th century Europe. Elizabeth was born into a commoner's life,in a struggling family, but Mr.Darcy and Mr.Bingley were born into a rich family, with a lavish lifestyle. The best examples of whit and intelligence is when Elizabeth replies to Jane about ,(pg.66)"I have no doubt of Mr.Bingley's sincerity', said Elizabeth warmly; but you must excuse my not being convinced by assurances only."'

That is a very good point, but I am still unsure how the book explains prejudice in that time period. Nowhere can I find a worthy example of explaining prejudice.

message 27: by Samuel (last edited Mar 05, 2010 09:28AM) (new)

Samuel | 8 comments The Vocabulary

Some of the words that the book use are words I never herd before.(Alluded pg.185) Some of the words in the book really make you want a dictionary by your side. In the book the word alluded was used like this: "She burst into tears as she alluded to it". This book can really improve your vocabulary, and I like it. Do you feel the same about this book?

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 10 comments Stephanie Tran wrote: "Why would Mrs. Bennet be happy that Lydia is married to Mr. Wickham even though it costed her family so much money?"

It may be because their struggling financial situation, that Mrs.Bennet supports the marriage between Lydia and Mr.Wickham, so that he can share his wealth.

message 29: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 12 comments Zuleyma wrote: "when charlotte was giving well an advice to Jane...when she said: "Happiness in marrige is entirely a matter of chance. ;and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."(page 14)
What do you think about that would you agree with charlotte?"

I agree totally with Charlotte. If you truly want happiness in your marriage you shouldn't want to know all the cons of the person you desire to marry. You also wouldn't want to know all the pros of the marriage because then you start to have doubts. If you know all of the defects one holds that's all you begin to see and it makes the person less desireable and wouldn't want to spend the rest of your lives with them and you will more than likely end up alone forever. Life is all about taking chances.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 8 comments Does the title, "Pride and Prejudice" fit the story?

In my opinion, I think the title does fit the story because pride represents Mr. Darcy and prejudice represents Elizabeth. I think pride represents Mr. Darcy because he has to much pride of himself and his fortune and that makes Elizabeth reject his proposal to her. That being said, I think Elizabeth represents prejudice because her judgment of Mr. Darcy comes from her being prejudice against the way he acts about his higher social status and how he spent so much time emphasizing on her lower rank rather than getting to know her himself.
Do you agree? Why or why not?

message 31: by Dorian (new)

Dorian | 6 comments What type of audience do you think pride and prejudice best appeals to? I personally have not been phazed by it but that could just be because i'm a guy,(it is kind've sappy). Im interested in knowing what some of your veiws are on this.

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 8 comments Virginia wrote: "I believe that in the beginig of the book Mr.Darcy is portrayed as a very stuck up cruel man who doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself. But as the book goes on it is shown that he actually very kind and means well, he is just quiet and very conservative about things. I wouldn't mind being Mr. Darcy or Elizabeths friend. Elizabeth seems very care free and like a fun loving girl, although she was very quick to judge Mr. Darcy on what kind of person he was only because of his income and what she heard from others. I do believe they are both worthy of my friendship though! "

I totally agree! Darcy does change through out the book. But I dont think me and Mr. darcy would get along because of the way he acts and thinks in the beginning of the book, just like Elizabeth. Although, I would LOVE to be friends with Elizabeth and I think we would get along just fine. She seems very straight forward, down to earth, and a very fun person to be around, which i wouldnt mind having in my life.

message 33: by Dorian (last edited Mar 05, 2010 05:49PM) (new)

Dorian | 6 comments Virginia wrote: "I believe that in the beginig of the book Mr.Darcy is portrayed as a very stuck up cruel man who doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself. But as the book goes on it is shown that he actually ..."

Virginia for the most part i agree with you. As you get farther in the book you do discover that despite his initial treatment of her, darcy does care for elizabeth very much as evidenced in chapter 32 of the book when darcy proposes to her. However despite the fact that he proposed i do not feel that that can be used to define his character. deep down he is still a pompous and arrogant person (who just so happens to be in love with elizabeth)

message 34: by Dorian (last edited Mar 05, 2010 05:57PM) (new)

Dorian | 6 comments Zuleyma wrote: "when charlotte was giving well an advice to Jane...when she said: "Happiness in marrige is entirely a matter of chance. ;and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person ..."

Zuleyma, i have to disagree. I feel like when you marry someone, in order to be fully comitted to the relationship you have share all of your faults in addition to embracing the faults of your spouse. There should only be a problem when those faults outweigh your spouse's positive aspects or when your faults outweigh your own.

message 35: by Sharmi (last edited Mar 05, 2010 06:13PM) (new)

Sharmi S. | 16 comments Melissa wrote:
Does the title, "Pride and Prejudice" fit the story?

"In my opinion, I think the title does fit the story because pride represents Mr. Darcy and prejudice represents Elizabeth. I think pride represents Mr. Darcy because he has to much pride of himself and his fortune and that makes Elizabeth reject his proposal to her. That being said, I think Elizabeth represents prejudice because her judgment of Mr. Darcy comes from her being prejudice against the way he acts about his higher social status and how he spent so much time emphasizing on her lower rank rather than getting to know her himself.
Do you agree? Why or why not?"

Melissa, I absolutely agree with you. The title really seems to be named after the two main characters: Elizabeth and Mr.Darcy. Mr.Darcy is a rich man who has a pompous and haughty attituse towards everyone. Elizabeth is a nice girl who sometimes judges a bit too harshly and is ordinary middle class person. They both seem to be in two different point-of-views of the world because of the status of their money. Mr.Darcy has too much pride to admit he like just an ordinary girl and Elizabeth is carried away and make misleading asumptions about Mr.Darcy. I think the title fits the book perfectly and makes the book a true love story.

message 36: by Javetta (new)

Javetta Stanley | 17 comments Why do you think Elizabeth panic when Wickman, and lydia couldnt be marryed fast enough? and if you were in elizabeth place would you worry about your famiy reputation and who marrys each other?

message 37: by Javetta (new)

Javetta Stanley | 17 comments Dorian wrote: "when charlotte was giving well an advice to Jane...when she said: "Happiness in marrige is entirely a matter of chance. ;and it is better to know as little as possible of the defect..

(javetta reply's): I totally dissagree with that qoute because it is saying that when you are marryed it is a chance to be in love. So why would you Marry somebody you not in love with,thats a big waist of time. Why would you want to know as little as possible but you are commiting your self to that person you would want to khow everything.

message 38: by Javetta (new)

Javetta Stanley | 17 comments Sharmi wrote:

(Javetta reply's):I think that it does fit the story because the main characters in the book have alot of pride in there self, and the prejudice i think it fits it to because when elizabeth judge Mr.Darcy because he acts different and thinks he is higher then everyone.

message 39: by Farisha (new)

Farisha Ali | 17 comments Did you feel any different about the book after reading more of the book?

message 40: by Farisha (new)

Farisha Ali | 17 comments Virginia wrote: "I believe that in the beginig of the book Mr.Darcy is portrayed as a very stuck up cruel man who doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself. But as the book goes on it is shown that he actually very kind and means well, he is just quiet and very conservative about things. I wouldn't mind being Mr. Darcy or Elizabeths friend. Elizabeth seems very care free and like a fun loving girl, although she was very quick to judge Mr. Darcy on what kind of person he was only because of his income and what she heard from others. I do believe they are both worthy of my friendship though! "

a absolutely agree with you. At the beginning i thought Mr. Darcy was a stuck up rich dude, because he was very judgemental about Elizabeth in the beginning. Same goes for Elizabeth. I thought she was extremely rude, and judmental. She judged Mr. Darcy as arrogant and cold, though it was after she heard what he thought of her at first. But then as i read i saw that Elizabeth was very nice and caring, and fiercly loayal, and i thought the same thing of Mr. Darcy, though he just had a quieter, and shyer way of showing it than Elizabeth, who was ver outspoken, but knew when to hold her tongue. I also think that they would be very worthy of my friendship, because, to me, they seem very loyal to those they care about, and i think their very trustworthy.

message 41: by Sharmi (new)

Sharmi S. | 16 comments Zuleyma wrote:
"When charlotte was giving well an advice to Jane...when she said: "Happiness in marrige is entirely a matter of chance. ;and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."(page 14)
What do you think about that, would you agree with Charlotte?"

Zuleyma, I would have to disagree with Charlotte's comment. It would be nice to think that everyone is perfect and that the person who you marry will also be perfect but being human includes having flaws. Happiness is never a matter of chance. You have to fight for it like everything else you work hard to grap or hold on to. Especially when you marry someone you have to compromise on things and learn both of your strengths and weaknesses on things. If you were to spend your life of whom you didn't know the "defects" of then you would basically be living with a total stranger. You have to truly understand someone to be truly happy with them.

message 42: by Farisha (new)

Farisha Ali | 17 comments Melissa wrote:

i think that it fits the story very much. its like saying Mr. Darcy(pride) versus Elizabeth(prejudice). i think mr. darcy represents pride, becausse no matter how nice or caring he (may) seem, he lets his pride get in the way of everything, which is the reason Elizabeth rejected him the firsst time he confessed his love to her. i think ELizabeth is prejudice, because although she (might) see the good in people (sometimes), she was very prejudiced about the way Mr.Darcy behaved, and she was very prejudice about how Mr. Darcy was very prideful, and arrogant.

message 43: by Sharmi (new)

Sharmi S. | 16 comments What moral or life-lesson can be found in the novel?

Even though all throughout the book they talk about social status and how someone is more arrogant than another because of thngs they own the main universal theme in this book seems to be love. The moral of the story or life-lesson you can learn from this book is how sometimes it doesn't matter if you'e the richest person in this world you still can't buy true love. Mr.Darcy and Elizabeth truly fall in love with each other eventhough they both hesistate to face the truth about their feelings they couldn't ignore it. The life-lesson is to believe in love and always believe in yourself because you have to trust yourself before you can trust others.

message 44: by Farisha (new)

Farisha Ali | 17 comments Zuleyma wrote: "when charlotte was giving well an advice to Jane...when she said: "Happiness in marrige is entirely a matter of chance. ;and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person ..."

sorry, but i have to disagree with this. i think that you have to be totally committed, in marriage. you should be able to share the things you've done wrong, the things you've done in the past, with eachother. if they can't stand it, then, too bad. you shouldn't be with someone who can't accept you for who you are, including your faults. so, in order to be committed in a marriage, you should know as much as you can about your marriage partner. they might not say some things to you, for your own good, but as long as you truly know them, then its fine. you can be happy like that.

message 45: by Amirrah (new)

Amirrah | 14 comments Evaluate whether the main character would be worthy of your friendship.

Elizabeth is sarcastic and witty. She has a subtle way of expressing her emotions which can cause conflicts in a friendship. She's very strong-minded with her opinions.I could see having her as friend but we would argue all the time. Would she be worthy of your friendship?

message 46: by Amirrah (new)

Amirrah | 14 comments Breanna wrote: "Quote a passage & respond to it. How did it make you feel?

"But that expression of "violently in love" is so hackneyed, so doubtful, so indefinite, that it gives me very little idea. It is as o..."

"This quote is showing concern towards Mr. Bingley's love for Elizabeth, questioning is his love real and how deep are his emotions. A few lines before it explains how Mr. Bingley has only known Elizabeth for a short amount of time but is so "violently in love" with her one moment and then not the next. It says "A young man, such as you describe Mr.Bingley, so easily falls in love with a pretty girl for a few weeks, and then when accident separates them, so easily forgets her." So again, asking "How violent is his love?, does he really love her or is it just fatal attraction?"

Breanna, I do not feel that you can be violently in love with someone after a short period of time like that. I feel that it was just lust and nothing more.

message 47: by Amirrah (new)

Amirrah | 14 comments Semira wrote: "The quality of the writing"

"Is very unique they use words that I haven't heard before,an example of one is lament(pg.80)"After breakfast,the girls walked to Meryton to inquire if Mr.Wickham were returned,and to lament over his absence from the Netherfield ball." For some sentence sometimes you have to picture out what the sentence is saying, or you have to read it twice so you could understand what it means .Is there any words that you don't understand,or heard of it before?"

Semira, there are many words in this book that i did not understand. Even after looking them up it was still hard to understand what they were saying, for example: On page 43: " 'Though it is difficult', said Jane ,'to guess in what way he can mean to make us the atonement he thinks our due, the wish is certainly to his credit'". Sentences like this made the reading process slower.

message 48: by Faheema (new)

Faheema | 11 comments ''Mr. whickhamn was the happy man towards whom almost every female eye was turned, and Elizabeth was the happy woman by whom he finally seated himself.'' Depend on this sentence how would you describe Mr. whickham?

message 49: by Faheema (new)

Faheema | 11 comments shavonne wrote: Such as when she describes Mr. Darcy's house and using Pemberly instead of saying it was Mr. Darcy's house first. (pg. 25)What about the book makes you confused?

I agree that this book is kind of confusing. The way they talk is confusing because some of the word it spelled differently in the book. Example like instead of writing behavior they wrote behaviour.

message 50: by Faheema (new)

Faheema | 11 comments linden wrote: "Does the title fit the story?"

I think the title fits the story because the book is talking about people's status from 18th century. Back in that time people didnt respect poor people that much; but rich people had too much pride in themselves, and also they had good reputation in society and people also respected them. Example: in this book Mr Darcy's sister doesnt like Elizabeth because she is poor.