Cozy Mysteries discussion

Conferences > Malice Domestic Conference--are you going?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 617 comments I will be attending the Malice Domestic Conference in Arlington, VA again this year, a celebration of the traditional mystery. See http://www.malicedomestic.org/ for information. I'd love to find out which other group members plan to attend, so we can make plans to get together. I'll be speaking on the "Into the Wild: Mysteries Set in the Great Outdoors" panel at 9am Saturday, May 1st. At the very least, maybe I can chat with some of you during my signing period after that panel.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth | 617 comments Oh, you are going to have so much fun, Dru! I'm looking forward to seeing you there. My favorite parts of the event are:
New Author Breakfast
"Speed dating" with authors
The Sunday Tea (with scrumptious food & a hat contest!)

and my panel, of course!
- Beth

message 3: by Leann (new)

Leann Sweeney (leannrs) | 10 comments I'll be there, too. Hope to meet you both!

Leann

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 35 comments The preliminary program has been posted:

http://malicedomestic.org/conventionp...

message 5: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn (quietcait) | 96 comments I wish, I wish. Have started up a kitty to make it next year.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments This sounds really cool - wish I were going! I did get to go to Bouchercon in Indianapolis last October and loved it.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5285 comments I've been to a few Bouchercons and have always had a great time. Have met several of my online friends that way.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth | 617 comments I'm looking forward to seeing you there, too, Leann! Can we entice anyone else to join us?

message 9: by Leann (new)

Leann Sweeney (leannrs) | 10 comments Yes. I say the more the merrier. It's such a wonderful celebration of cozies. If not this year, come next year, folks. It will be in Maryland, but still near Wash. DC as far as I know. Bethesda, maybe?

message 10: by Babs (new)

Babs (dflybabs) | 5 comments I just saw Beth's post about this today and I decided to register! I am so excited about this, many of my favorite authors are going to be there. What can I expect? Any insider tips I need to know? I think it will be great fun!

message 11: by Leann (new)

Leann Sweeney (leannrs) | 10 comments Expect to see LOTS OF PEOPLE! And all of them love traditional mysteries. And you will get a bag full of free books--a big bag. And what's great is that if your bag has something in it that you don't want or have already read, there's always a table where you can set out the books you don't want and pick some up that you might want to read. There are signings after each panel so you can meet your favorite authors. A wonderful tea on Sunday afternoon, a great banquet. Just lots of fun. The hardest thing is to decide which panels you want to attend since so often one you want is opposite another one you might want to attend. (save Sunday morning at 9AM for mine!! LOL).

Leann Sweeney

message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5285 comments You're sure to have a great time, Babs. I've never been to a Malice but have been to several Bcons. The free books are a nice perk, but getting to meet your favorite writers and maybe some online friends is what makes it fun.

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (dolphinlover) | 290 comments I wish I were going! Hey can anyone tell me what the cost is? I want to try and save up for the next one and just want an idea of how much I may need?

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Beth wrote: "I will be attending the Malice Domestic Conference in Arlington, VA again this year, a celebration of the traditional mystery. See http://www.malicedomestic.org/ for information. I'd love to find o..."

Beth: Just curious, you said that Malice Domestic is in Arlington again this year. Does it generally move around to different cities? If so, are they mostly on the east coast? Inquiring minds want to know.

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth | 617 comments Great to hear you are coming, Babs! I'll look for you there, and please look for me and say hi.

Shannon,
The Malice Domestic website will give you cost information.

Denise,
The Malice Domestic conference is always in the DC area. For many years it's been at the same hotel in Arlington, VA but starting next year it's being moved to a hotel in Maryland, primarily for cost reasons, I think.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (dolphinlover) | 290 comments Beth wrote: "Great to hear you are coming, Babs! I'll look for you there, and please look for me and say hi.

Shannon,
The Malice Domestic website will give you cost information.

Denise,
The Malice Domestic co..."

Okay thank you I will look it up!

message 17: by Babs (new)

Babs (dflybabs) | 5 comments Just out of curiosity, how dressed up does one get for the banquet dinner? Formal attire or a sundress?

message 18: by Leann (new)

Leann Sweeney (leannrs) | 10 comments I think you can do whatever feels comfortable. I've seen sequins to jeans over the years. If you like to get dressed up, it's a nice place to do that.

Hope that helps!
Leann

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth | 617 comments Babs,
I don't get that many chances to dress up in Colorado, so I enjoy doing it at the Malice Domestic banquet. I tend to wear a mid-calf dress/skirt or dress slacks and a pretty, formal top.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth | 617 comments I just returned from the Malice Domestic Conference in Arlington, VA and the Festival of Mystery in Oakmont, PA. I took lots of photos and managed to catch quite a few mystery authors in action. If you're interested, you can see them at: http://bethgroundwater.blogspot.com/

message 21: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Ok, I guess I can 'fess up = I'm on the Board of Malice Domestic. We bill ourselves as "a fun fan convention" and we always have lots of cozy authors because our motto is Malice is "Not everyone's cup of tea" (picture with a teabag that has a skull and crossbones on it in a teacup). We focus on the "traditional" mystery a la Agatha Christie (which is why we give the Agatha awards each year) - not noir or hard core gore, etc. We are an official 501(c)(3) - non-profit organization so yes, you're right Beth. We are moving from VA back to MD because we will not have to pay the tax in MD and it will save us money. We've got some great honorees next year - Guest of honor - Carole Nelson Douglas, Toastmaster - Donna Andrews, Lifetime Achievement - Sue Grafton. We'll be at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda 29 April - 1 May 2011. So I guess that's a "non-author's" version of BSP (blatant self promotion!) LOL

message 22: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5285 comments Caroline wrote: "Ok, I guess I can 'fess up = I'm on the Board of Malice Domestic. We bill ourselves as "a fun fan convention" and we always have lots of cozy authors because our motto is Malice is "Not everyone's..."

I've never been to a Malice before, but have been to several Bouchercons and a Left Coast Crime. I'm debating going to Bcon this year. It's in San Francisco and DH would have things to do while I'm occupied.

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth | 617 comments I've become a real Malice addict and am already making plans to attend next year. I've attended Left Coast Crime and Bouchercon, but the Malice Domestic conference is still my favorite. I hope to see many of you there next year. The first book in my new Rocky Mountain Adventure series will be out by then--Deadly Currents.